-The DIY club-

OK I want to have a go at this.............

can some one recommend a sewing machine (don't have much money) what stitches i need to learn for making bibs, nappies etc and any recommended books to help me

thx :flower:

eta last time i used a sewing machine I was 7 or 8 lol

kaites - dont be jealous its a cheapy my mum had her in cupboard that I'm stealing off her! lol

Still got sweet fanny adams done. My lo decided that she would only sleep on me today so I slept for a few hours instead of doing something productive! lol

Hi Ladies,

I see loads of you are saving for a sewing machine, have you considered a wanted Ad on freecycle, I posted one for a sewing machine last week and a kind lady gave me a beauty.

Just an idea but these are regulars on Freecycle and any money saved is money you can spend on your projects.

Hi sahara :wave:
I have only got one of those £20 argos ones and its been ok for bibs and trousers. If i get better with stictching i might save up for a better one.
I have just followed guides off the internet and printed off patterns. Ive only done bandana bibs and some pj bottoms but cant wait to do more.
Oooh im off to check freecycle to x hope everyones ok.
I have re used my pjs for some for caleb and think im going to try a nappy soon. fx'd x

pink23 thats great thank you.

I don't know what stitches to use where do the patterns etc help with that and how to do them - sorry complete novice here :haha:

https://www.make-baby-stuff.com
https://www.freepatterns.com
https://www.allcrafts.net/sewing.htm
these are just a few ive found. Im not sure with stiches as mine just does the basic but im sure the other girls will help xx

Most patterns just need straight stitch and zigzag stitches- pretty basic! I think my machine does something like 16 different stitches but I've only used a few. I got my machine off my grandmother- another family freebie :) If you have questions when you are starting out Sahara, I'm sure we'd all be happy to help with any questions (as best we can anyway, lol).

Aurora- Nice blanket- looks great! I don't have the patience for knitting, especially something as big as a blanket.

I here to make you jealous now...My freeebie cheapy overlocker!!

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs090.snc4/35886_10150212416740346_568215345_12850930_5190759_n.jpg

Now I must find time to do it! I've got a cot to sort out first and I'd like to make bumpers for it - anyone know a good pattern?

You are all so talented! :thumbup:

I am after a taggie or two for Missy if anyone makes them for others? Would rather buy from someone here than a stranger!

xxx

Ha - My sewing skills arn't good enough to make something for someone else hahaha

my skills arent either. im just glad my bibs look ok for caleb to wear them outside the house to xx

Hey ladies, I'm after making my own fleece liners for Evie when we start properly on the fluff nappies (still waiting for my stash to arrive lol)
What's the best kind of fleece to use? Could I, for example, just go down to Primark or somewhere like that and buy a couple of cheap fleece blankets and cut them up? Or does it have to be a particular fleece?
Any other tips on fleece liners?

Thank you :flower:

I just use poundlands cheap blankets :D

Ah I know the ones, I have a couple of those and I can nip down and get some more later on :) Thanks hun!

I've never tried fleece liners - how do you use them/what do they look like? Are they worthwhile on a baby who doesn't move yet? I've made a fleece outer nappy but its not so good as she's not mobile yet.

They are just the liner hun that goes inside the nappy so your babies bum stays dry :D

and it really doesnt matter what kind of fleece then? I might try that for night time hmmmm. She's fine during the day as I change her often enough.
Now there's a use for my new overlocker! lol

They also protect against nappy rash ect and catch poops so your nappies dont get stained :D

My latest attempt at DIY. K only had 2 pairs of shorts PJ's & its really warm here atm. So, I got an old pair of his out of the cupbard that had got too short in the leg & arms, chopped them down & made it into a shorts/short sleeved PJ set! should last him the summer & found another old pair that I can do the same with. DH is impressed that I'm recycling instead of buying new :D I also made T a couple of bandana bibs, but under did the neck length so had to add to them *doh*. I will try again when I get to a cheapy shop for cheap fleece. I'm also going to look for some fabric for some homemade wipes, was thinking fleece on one side & soft towelling on the other.

I need some ideas!
I have about 1/2 a metre of super cute Cath Kidson cowboy print fabric. I want to make something out of it, but can't decide what to do. The fabric is left over from making a nappy, so I didn't want to make another one.
I was thinking about trying to make a grobag type sleeping bag, but it'll be tricky as I've never sewn in a zipper.
Any other ideas??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->