• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The government is f'ing greedy!!!!!

Is Quebec the only province with $7/day daycare?

I wanted to put him into the university daycare for 2 days per week (in Vancouver) and they wanted $1200/month!!!!

Is Quebec the only province with $7/day daycare?

As far as I know, yes! I'm in Toronto also, and dh and I make about 65k which is too much for the GST (HST now...) and I only get $70/month in child tax credits which is a joke. We're on the list for daycare subsidy (I applied to be on it while still pregnant). I did the online calculator and we'll still have to pay about $700/month if we even get it - the waiting list is so long and we're not a priority because I'm not a single mom. Unfortunately we need the money I make and my medical benefits so I'll be going back to work, though I am looking into going back to school so we'll see what happens.

they do that. your income like counts as one the second your married.

i get 60 something GST then another 60 for something else. my baby bonus is $328 and then i get another $100 untill LO is 6.
while i'm on mat leave i honestly don't know what i'd do without those benefits

I wanted to put him into the university daycare for 2 days per week (in Vancouver) and they wanted $1200/month!!!!

:shock:

i'm doing online courses from my school ATM .. but when i go back, they offer free day care

Wow that's great!!

Yeah it was a 2x a week 1.5 hour French language class! Not even anywhere near fulltime :S

Daycare here is $40/day for an infant.
Because I work for the YMCA, they give me a 25% discount, so it works out to $30/day. Without that discount, I definitely would not be returning to work. I would be working just to pay for daycare.
It's ridiculous. The government needs to put more money into daycare! Wages for staff are way below what they need to be (and I'm not just saying that because it's my wages!) Therefore, it's hard to keep good staff, because they can be making better money elsewhere. That's why good childcare is so expensive...because the centre actually pays for good staff!

Wow that's great!!

Yeah it was a 2x a week 1.5 hour French language class! Not even anywhere near fulltime :S

that's like 12 hours a month .. $100 an hour . noo way!

Interesting article, a bit 'Toronto-centric' but I think that it definitely shows that there is a massive problem in Toronto with respect to daycare subsidies.

https://www.parentcentral.ca/parent...are-challenge-toronto-searching-for-solutions

Im just over an hour north of Toronto. After doing our taxes this year my baby bonus is going from $820/month to about $200/month!!! We now dont qualify for GST either and we only made a combined income of $50,000
I think once you hit about $40k everything starts going down or gets taken away

we get fuck all!! and were also skint trying to do things the so called right way!! yes i know people who get all the benefits yet were in the same boat? i don't really understand the system myself but i for one feel pretty miffed that we get no help!! when others do?? i know i made the choice to have children but seems unfair like you say when they try to work it out who gets what?? makes no sense? sorry for the rant! x i think were in diff countries anyway lol

We make around under 30K a year...
Daycare is 27$ a day for infants (if you can find one that takes them under 2yrs)
Around $60-$80 a week for after-schoolers
We qualified for some assistance but I seriously didn't bother.
The more you make, the less you get.
The more you make, the more you pay.
Isn't it lovely? I tell ya, some things are great and run well, and some aren't and CCTB/HST/UCCB isn't for higher income.

Hey guys!
Ya daycare here is about $25-$30 a day I dont know how we are going to afford it. It would almost be cheaper for my husband to quit work and look after Alessa while I worked! LOL (I make a bit more at my job)

I got married in 2009. Before I got married, I was getting approx $80 every 3 months in the GST credit and my husband was also. After we got married...we LOST that because they said we were making too much. This is crap...we are still making the same individually right???

Then...you are supposed to get GST when you have a child. They say we are STILL making too much even for that!

If I was on my own, or my husband was we would qualify for daycare subsidy.

Nope..making too much.

Seriously I hate this freaking government. No help. My friend who is a single mom makes just as much as me and gets over $300 a month in the child tax credit. Me? I get $80. Why? Because Im married

Would be better to live alone ffs.
Makes you wonder if being married or even living with your spouce is beneficial. Especially with the way the prices of living are going now a days. Now imagine 6 kids with the way the government is going. OMG. BUT I also have to say this, the government is even hard on the single parents when they are on income assistance, they refuse to help you and FORCE you to go to the childs parents and get support and then they will make you give that to them so they can add that to what your allotted from them then they deduct it and give it back to you and not anything else. Total crap So what way is better ? I remember when I first left my older 4 boys dad, they refused to help me, told me I had to go to him and get money or file FMEP. I was shocked. I also was never MARRIED to my older 4 boys dad and we lived together for 12 years and I think the whole BS of the government sucks cus we could of gotten more.

We make around under 30K a year...
Daycare is 27$ a day for infants (if you can find one that takes them under 2yrs)
Around $60-$80 a week for after-schoolers
We qualified for some assistance but I seriously didn't bother.
The more you make, the less you get.
The more you make, the more you pay.
Isn't it lovely? I tell ya, some things are great and run well, and some aren't and CCTB/HST/UCCB isn't for higher income.

:thumbup:
It is so true.

I am a SAHM ONLY because the cost of daycare is so high. We dont qualify for daycare subsidy and the cost of daycare is so high, I would only be able to make a minimum wage job and that in itsself isnt enough when you have to account the cost of busfare for me cus I dont drive. My Dh drives but I dont. I would need daycare for 1 infant, 1 toddler and a few of the other boys. Hmmm I think I rather stay home and be driven insane by the monsters I call my children lol.

$30/day daycare would be awesome for us...but an infant spot in Toronto is closer to $100/day. It's brutal.

$30/day daycare would be awesome for us...but an infant spot in Toronto is closer to $100/day. It's brutal.

Maybe look some more, when I called around and put my name on the list while still pregnant at a few places I was told between $42-60/day for under 18 months.

Hey mommy2lilmen I'm in Langley :)

:) hi. Yay someone close by lol I actually have to head to langley (brookswood area) to pick up my 4 older boys from their dads :) I rather be sleeping atm. :sleep:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->