The holidays are coming! The holidays are coming! (a cautionary tale)

N

Nerdy

Last week it dawned on me that we're in NOVEMBER and Thanksgiving is literally right around the corner! It was a shining epiphany made when cruising the grocery stores and watching people hiss and evil eye one another over frozen birdsicles formerly known as turkey, and it definitely cemented in me the desire to get Thanksgiving shopping done early and spend the rest of the next couple weeks firmly attached to Pinterest via the umbilical that is my laptop's charger cord.

Easier said than done since there appears to be a shortage of large birds this year and this family requires a minimum 24lbs bird, 26-28 being ideal to feed two bottomless pit toddler boys, a bottomless pit sailor husband, my sister, my mother, myself, 3 dogs, 5 cats... And maybe a scrap or two for our favorite outside denizens. And yes we definitely include the pets, they're family too and the dogs, all of which are over the age of 8, would cry mutiny if we stopped now. I'll also wager that there will be very little in the way of left overs - my sister is notorious for Thanksgiving 4th helpings ;)

Anyway... The epic started on Saturday morning at BJ's and ended in the ER. True story.

BJ's consisted of all our bulk needs for the month plus Turkey Day and, starving, we ate at the BJ's cafe. I crammed 3/4ths of a hot dog, a gatorade, and went on my merry way to 3 other stores to hunt down odds, ends, an that elusive big bird before heading home to the comfort of my couch.

This was an epic win.

Why?

1.) Shopping was done early!
2.) Shopping was done SAFELY! A miracle since the last four years of Thanksgiving have consisted of me somehow managing to drop the damned turkey on my foot at least once in the process of trying to cram it in the freezer!

... Or at least I thought it was a safe trip.

I felt fine. Felt GREAT! Penned another 1500 words for my NaNoWriMo novel while hubby cooked dinner and life seemed grand. I was definitely feeling a bit cocky coming off a successful pain free Thanksgiving shopping experience.

And then it all went to HELL.

No sooner did hubby announce that dinner was ready, and I rose from the couch nest, did I have to make a sharp left detour on the flight path to my original kitchen destination to the bathroom... and barely made it in time, I might add, before doing my very best gastric impersonation of Mt. Etna in front of two horrified Scottish Folds.

... 5 times... In 25 minutes...

Crying, shaking, and unable to lift my own head, hubby swooped in and at my mother's demand, whisked me off to the ER where I was immediately sent to OB, stuck on monitors, placed on an IV for fluids, given a shot of phenergan, and monitored by one of the most amazing nurses I have ever met. I honestly hope to see her again when I go back to give birth.

Diagnosis? Food poisoning.

Apparently BJ's had gotten the last laugh in my pre-holiday shopping extravaganza :growlmad:

So... Let this be a cautionary tale to you ladies who think that nomming that quick BJ's hot dog, or food cart sandwich, is a good idea this holiday season while running to prepare for feasts, baby, and gift exchanges.

Newsflash; it's not!

Oh my lord! That sounds awful :( At least the rest of the shopping is done though! I came to the same realization that the holidays are here when I saw someone hauling a Christmas tree on top of their car last night. We don't put up our tree until after Thanksgiving, but it made me think, "OMG Christmas is like.... TOMORROW! I need to do everything holiday related! I don't even have a Christmas shopping list!"

Holy crap... They're actually SELLING trees now?! That's INSANE! I'm keeping my Christmas stuff to a minimum until Black Friday, and then while everyone's making the outside world a scary place, we'll be putting up our decorations :) I can freely admit that I've been sorely tempted to start early, though.

Haha I'm almost certain that someone went and cut down their own tree. It's the only one I've seen so far, but some people decorate wayy too early. I keep pumkins/leaves/gaurds (sp?) and pine cones out for fall like decorations for thanksgiving. Next year when my son is a little more interested in craft type things (hopefully) I hope to make some turkey's out of paper to put on the walls and stuff.

I seriously can't wait for black friday though... I'm hoping to make it all the way through this year. I go with my in laws while DH watches the kid lol. We usually are out of the house at around 9-10pm and aren't done until 2pm the next day. We have to make multiple trips home to unload the car haha

Crazy people, man. I can understand putting it up the day before Thanksgiving and having family help decorate it while waiting for dinner etc etc, but early November? Insanity.

You're a BRAVE soul! I'm usually pretty cocky, but even I won't go anywhere near Black Friday stuff. I'm more a Cyber Monday warrior. Much safer, lol!

a) Sorry for your food poising. That sounds awful! :(

b) You're a great writer. I bet your NaNoWriMo novels are epic. :flower:

I have in laws for thanksgiving. My mother in law and step father in law and mil twin brother who at the age of sixty still arrives wherever his other half decides to be. It's kind of beautiful really. But they are hotel travelers regardless of how much space we have. And mil is on a mission for her husband to see what an amazing retirement city Boise could be so aside from the dinner that my chef husband has taken possession of... delightful.

All that is required of me is a house scrubbing so mil doesn't think her only son has to kick fall leaves around our entry way. (He totally does) and a baby shopping spree not on Friday. And a pecan pie, pumpkin pie, peach pie, portuguese black bread and rolls. Too much pie I know but I am superstitious and we always have the same ones, and if my cousin comes through with my grandma's banana bread recipe that will be added to my baking list.

I am excited to see everyone, hoping the conversation moves away from uterus at least a little. Relieved that my non matching towel situation isn't an issue.

And the best news! Christmas is officially my husband and I. Our pan of enchiladas, non Christmas movies and an assortment of baby presents that we will buy each other.

Anyone know where I could find the tiniest fly fishing vest the world has ever created?

It was pretty awful. The phenergan gave me HORRIBLE involuntary muscle spasms, but I'd take those over the food poisoning any day. I hate puking with a passion.

Thank you! This is my first year as a WriMosaur and I'm doing what I can to hold my own, lol! Always wanted to, never had the nerve. Most of my writing is Sci-Fi related. I'll happily link you to it when it's up and finished, if you'd like :) :hug:

I have in laws for thanksgiving. My mother in law and step father in law and mil twin brother who at the age of sixty still arrives wherever his other half decides to be. It's kind of beautiful really. But they are hotel travelers regardless of how much space we have. And mil is on a mission for her husband to see what an amazing retirement city Boise could be so aside from the dinner that my chef husband has taken possession of... delightful.

All that is required of me is a house scrubbing so mil doesn't think her only son has to kick fall leaves around our entry way. (He totally does) and a baby shopping spree not on Friday. And a pecan pie, pumpkin pie, peach pie, portuguese black bread and rolls. Too much pie I know but I am superstitious and we always have the same ones, and if my cousin comes through with my grandma's banana bread recipe that will be added to my baking list.

I am excited to see everyone, hoping the conversation moves away from uterus at least a little. Relieved that my non matching towel situation isn't an issue.

And the best news! Christmas is officially my husband and I. Our pan of enchiladas, non Christmas movies and an assortment of baby presents that we will buy each other.

Anyone know where I could find the tiniest fly fishing vest the world has ever created?

I think I'd cry if I had to deal with my in-laws for Thanksgiving. Entirely way too complicated a situation that can easily be summarized in one word: Nope.

I love the sound of your Christmas, though!!!!! And the pie undertaking is top notch. I've got a cherry pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and cupcakes to handle. Sister hates anything that has fruit in it. Then I swear it's off to Christmas Cookie Hell with me. I have orders to fill LOL

As far as that fly fishing vest... Try Etsy!

It was pretty awful. The phenergan gave me HORRIBLE involuntary muscle spasms, but I'd take those over the food poisoning any day. I hate puking with a passion.

Thank you! This is my first year as a WriMosaur and I'm doing what I can to hold my own, lol! Always wanted to, never had the nerve. Most of my writing is Sci-Fi related. I'll happily link you to it when it's up and finished, if you'd like :) :hug:

I write too, mostly fantasy. I'm working on the third book in a trilogy right now. I tried NaNo one year in college and failed, but I ended up finishing that story later on, so it gave me a good start. :flower:

I think I'd cry if I had to deal with my in-laws for Thanksgiving. Entirely way too complicated a situation that can easily be summarized in one word: Nope.

I love the sound of your Christmas, though!!!!! And the pie undertaking is top notch. I've got a cherry pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and cupcakes to handle. Sister hates anything that has fruit in it. Then I swear it's off to Christmas Cookie Hell with me. I have orders to fill LOL

As far as that fly fishing vest... Try Etsy!

I am blessed my mother in law has loved me since day one. She is sweet and supportive has never asked an awkward question. She says as long as my husband is happy then she has no complaints about me. Seriously I'm blessed. I like that side of the family is easy for me. Now my father in law and his second wife had me hiding in a bathroom after an hour with them and my husband still hasn't called and told them were pregnant.

I will try etsy. My husband is a huge fly Fisher and says boy or girl they will be amazing anglers... since he has agreed to piano lessons too I'm fine with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->