The hook effect is real. Stop testing!

kneeswrites

Pregnant with #3
Reaction score
okay, so I know most of you guys probably don't obsessively test once your definitely pregnant, but for those that do, even though we know not to... I have proof as to why we shouldn't. I had read a million stories about lighter lines later on, due to the "hook effect" and supposedly it's the idea that when there's tons of hcg in your urine, you get lighter lines. And if you dilute your urine with water you will get a darker line.

Well despite hearing this, I took a test with fmu this morning and it was lighter, which of course sent me into a panic. I thought "The hook effect couldn't apply to me, I'm not special nor am I that lucky." But I just ran out and got two more tests, just to try it.

I took 1 test with a 1/2 hour hold, and it was actually a bit darker than is mornings fmu test. Then I took the other one with the pee diluted about half and half with water. Darker than the control line :thumbup:

So don't test! And if you do, dilute it if you get lighter lines!

Top test is the undiluted pee, second test is diluted pee.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 53
And this mornings much lighter fmu test.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 23
That's so interesting! I got a test line darker than the control so I stopped testing (except for a digi... I want to see 3+ weeks on it!) thanks for sharing!

To me there all good linesx and since all tests very with sensativity. It being just a tad lighter wouldnt bother me :)

Well all of the tests (at least twenty so far) had progressed until the last couple days, and only looked good again when the pee was watered down. That line I got this morning looked like my tests a month ago.

I had this happen before. Mine began at 6-ish weeks (beta proved my levels to be 55,000 at that time) and I had to greatly dilute my urine in order to get a dark positive line. How I knew I was MC was that when I took a test it would be lighter than the control line. Then when I would dilute it, it would still be a light line, if not a little lighter than the control. For peace of mind, I try not to test too far into my pregnancies anymore. Once I convince myself that the lines are getting darker, I stop long before I hit the "hook effect".

Mine did this early- like in my 5th week! Had a super dark test line when hcg was 2000, and a MUCH lighter line when my hcg was 4500. Totally panicked when I saw the light line, rushed to the hospital, they drew my blood, did a scan, did a pap and said everything was totally perfect and to stop peeing on sticks!!

Very good point, thanks for posting. I've taken alot of tests the last one being a digi test yesterday, I have one first response left but the last time I used one the line was mega dark so I see no point in testing again. I'm definitely pregnant and I'm not going to drive myself crazy checking lines. I saw progression from a light to dark line, that's all I needed.

Step away from the tests ladies :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"