• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

aw, thanks, victoriajane, glad you are enjoying my journal. of course i don't mind - i've had a quick look at the pumping schedule, and mine was quite different. i think it's important to remember we are all different, and what works for one person might not work for everyone.

i started expressing when hayden was a week old, as i had severe nipple damage and mastitis, and couldn't bear to breastfeed. if you've read my journal you know the story, but i was hospitalised and on iv antibiotics for almost a week. at first i was advised i had to pump at least 8 times in 24 hours, once at night, but i was pretty poorly and only really managed 6-7 times. it was enough, plus some extra, which i started freezing once i got home from hospital. hayden fed 7 times a day - one of those at night - so i stuck to 7 pumps a day, and while hubby was still home i would pump while hubby fed him. once he went back to work i would pump straight after every feed, which left very little time for anything else! i never pumped for a specific amount of time - i just kept pumping until the milk stopped flowing, usually 20-30mins. i had a hospital grade medela double pump, from breaststart.

hayden stopped waking for a feed in the night at 6 weeks, although his first feed of the day was early - about 5am - and i would just pump when he woke. dropping the night time pump didn't really affect my supply. i carried on like this until i had lots of trouble with blocked ducts, one of which got infected and became an abcess. by that time hayden was drinkiing about 1000ml per day and i was producing 2000ml! i did some research and found that pretty much all the problems i had had, right from the start, pointed to over-production, which i didn't even know could be a problem! so i started to reduce the amount of times i pumped, dropping one pump per day each time and waiting to see what effect it had. i ended up on 4 pumps a day, although i was pumping for longer each time, which maintained a supply roughly equal to what hayden was drinking, plus just a little spare. i think he would have been about 4 months or so when i dropped to 3 pumps a day, and started using some of the frozen milk (there was loads!), then i gradually reduced it until i was on 1 pump a day, then stopped a couple of weeks ago.

i don't think my expreience is typical, so i would advise to start off by aiming to pump 8 times in 24 hours, as this is roughly how often a newborn would breastfeed, and then tweak the schedule according to your own supply. i was told there was no need to try to space my pumping sessions evenly, as a baby wouldn't do that, and that i should always pump until the milk stopped flowing, otherwise it sends a signal that you don't need to produce so much and your supply can decrease. also, i found that on the few occasions i didn't empty them i would get blocked ducts.

please let me know how you get on, who knows once the tongue tie is sorted, perhaps you will be able to bf. i have a friend whose baby had tongue tie, but it wasn't diagnosed until he was about 12 weeks old, and she had long ago stopped breastfeeding, which she felt terrible about. hope it goes well for you. if you need any more advice, i'd be happy to help if i can, although i certainly don't claim to be an expert. xxx

aw, thanks, victoriajane, glad you are enjoying my journal. of course i don't mind - i've had a quick look at the pumping schedule, and mine was quite different. i think it's important to remember we are all different, and what works for one person might not work for everyone.

i started expressing when hayden was a week old, as i had severe nipple damage and mastitis, and couldn't bear to breastfeed. if you've read my journal you know the story, but i was hospitalised and on iv antibiotics for almost a week. at first i was advised i had to pump at least 8 times in 24 hours, once at night, but i was pretty poorly and only really managed 6-7 times. it was enough, plus some extra, which i started freezing once i got home from hospital. hayden fed 7 times a day - one of those at night - so i stuck to 7 pumps a day, and while hubby was still home i would pump while hubby fed him. once he went back to work i would pump straight after every feed, which left very little time for anything else! i never pumped for a specific amount of time - i just kept pumping until the milk stopped flowing, usually 20-30mins. i had a hospital grade medela double pump, from breaststart.

hayden stopped waking for a feed in the night at 6 weeks, although his first feed of the day was early - about 5am - and i would just pump when he woke. dropping the night time pump didn't really affect my supply. i carried on like this until i had lots of trouble with blocked ducts, one of which got infected and became an abcess. by that time hayden was drinkiing about 1000ml per day and i was producing 2000ml! i did some research and found that pretty much all the problems i had had, right from the start, pointed to over-production, which i didn't even know could be a problem! so i started to reduce the amount of times i pumped, dropping one pump per day each time and waiting to see what effect it had. i ended up on 4 pumps a day, although i was pumping for longer each time, which maintained a supply roughly equal to what hayden was drinking, plus just a little spare. i think he would have been about 4 months or so when i dropped to 3 pumps a day, and started using some of the frozen milk (there was loads!), then i gradually reduced it until i was on 1 pump a day, then stopped a couple of weeks ago.

i don't think my expreience is typical, so i would advise to start off by aiming to pump 8 times in 24 hours, as this is roughly how often a newborn would breastfeed, and then tweak the schedule according to your own supply. i was told there was no need to try to space my pumping sessions evenly, as a baby wouldn't do that, and that i should always pump until the milk stopped flowing, otherwise it sends a signal that you don't need to produce so much and your supply can decrease. also, i found that on the few occasions i didn't empty them i would get blocked ducts.

please let me know how you get on, who knows once the tongue tie is sorted, perhaps you will be able to bf. i have a friend whose baby had tongue tie, but it wasn't diagnosed until he was about 12 weeks old, and she had long ago stopped breastfeeding, which she felt terrible about. hope it goes well for you. if you need any more advice, i'd be happy to help if i can, although i certainly don't claim to be an expert. xxx

How many feeds (and oz in each) does your little one take now? Are you still feeding BM or are you on to formula now? Did you have a problem with LO liking your frozen milk?

Unfortunately I had to give up trying to express as enough milk just wouldn't come. Although I am trying to come to terms with the fact that I couldn't do the simple task of providing my own milk for my daughter, part of me is happy that I accepted it, as I was beginning to really make a fool of myself over it! She had the first few days of the all important Colostrum, so I guess I should feel pleased at least with that.

I really respect all you mothers out there who are able to do this, as exclusively expressing is not an easy task and you should all feel very proud of yourselves for doing this. :thumbup:

How many feeds (and oz in each) does your little one take now? Are you still feeding BM or are you on to formula now? Did you have a problem with LO liking your frozen milk?

sorry, thought i'd answered this already :dohh:

hayden is now almost 8 months and, as i have stopped expressing, the frozen milk is running out! he now has about 50/50 bm and formula, but there is only enough for another couple of weeks, then it will just be formula :( didn't really have any problems with him not liking the milk - occasionally he didn't seem too keen, but perhaps it was something i'd eaten before expressing :shrug:

he has 4 feeds a day, which are usually about 6-7oz each, although he has started to cut down his late morning feed, so sometimes he only has 2-3oz, or even skips it altogether. he is much preferring solids, and can't get enough! i am now convinced his feeding issues are down to a lip tie, which made it impossible for him to latch to bf, and even makes it difficult for him to bottle feed, as he can't curl his top lip up, poor fella.

hope that helps, and sorry for the delay in replying x

Shambaby (and any other knowledgable folk!), how did you ever manage to express whilst on your own in the daytime? What did you do if LO started crying or wouldn't go down? My LO is now 4 weeks and I am really struggling to get in the regular expressing sessions I need in the day as she doesn't have any sort of routine yet and always seems to be awake and crying/hungry/generally refusing to be put down when I need to express! I do have a double pump so once she is down it only takes 15 mins, but i haven't even been able to get that this afternoon. My first pump was 7.30am, the second supposed to be sometime between 10.30-11.30 but ended up being 12.45! Had another one session due at 3pm, and godknows when that will actually be as I just cannot get her to sleep :(. It's fine when OH is here but he's out at work beteen 8am - 5pm. I've already had blocked ducts twice because of long gaps between sessions and am going up the flipping wall!

As regards tongue tie, she's having it snipped Friday and the consultant midwife is hopeful it's not too late to try and get her back onto the boob, so am keeping fingers and toes crossed!

I used to pump straigt after a feed..ie.when harry was at his happiest on the floor between my feet while I chatted to him..or on his playmat..have you tried fitting it in at these times too hon?x

i also pumped straight after his feeds - for a while that was the only way i could possibly do it, as i would feed him, clean and sterilise the bottles, pump etc, then have about half an hour before he wanted feeding again! he has always been a really happy, content baby, so i never really had much trouble getting him to settle while i pumped, though. fingers crossed it's not too late for you to get her back on the boob x

Shambaby (and any other knowledgable folk!), how did you ever manage to express whilst on your own in the daytime? What did you do if LO started crying or wouldn't go down? My LO is now 4 weeks and I am really struggling to get in the regular expressing sessions I need in the day as she doesn't have any sort of routine yet and always seems to be awake and crying/hungry/generally refusing to be put down when I need to express! I do have a double pump so once she is down it only takes 15 mins, but i haven't even been able to get that this afternoon. My first pump was 7.30am, the second supposed to be sometime between 10.30-11.30 but ended up being 12.45! Had another one session due at 3pm, and godknows when that will actually be as I just cannot get her to sleep :(. It's fine when OH is here but he's out at work beteen 8am - 5pm. I've already had blocked ducts twice because of long gaps between sessions and am going up the flipping wall!

As regards tongue tie, she's having it snipped Friday and the consultant midwife is hopeful it's not too late to try and get her back onto the boob, so am keeping fingers and toes crossed!

I just tried to do it while she was sleeping... it gets better as she gets a bit older then you can sit her in her chair in front of you and play with her or give her some toys to play with beside you while you pump.

Hmm, hopefully it will get better as she gets older then! At the mo she's still too little too entertain herself and has a v short span of patience if I pop her on her back on mat or in her basket. We've got a really convoluted system right now where I sort of prop her across me on a pillow while I pump, that way I can jiggle her if she starts grumbling!!

Are there any exclusive expresser's out there who have successfully switched back to breastfeeding? If yes, I need your help.

sorry, thought i'd answered this already :dohh:

hayden is now almost 8 months and, as i have stopped expressing, the frozen milk is running out! he now has about 50/50 bm and formula, but there is only enough for another couple of weeks, then it will just be formula :( didn't really have any problems with him not liking the milk - occasionally he didn't seem too keen, but perhaps it was something i'd eaten before expressing :shrug:

he has 4 feeds a day, which are usually about 6-7oz each, although he has started to cut down his late morning feed, so sometimes he only has 2-3oz, or even skips it altogether. he is much preferring solids, and can't get enough! i am now convinced his feeding issues are down to a lip tie, which made it impossible for him to latch to bf, and even makes it difficult for him to bottle feed, as he can't curl his top lip up, poor fella.

hope that helps, and sorry for the delay in replying x

You have done well to have expressed for so long, I would be delighted to express for as long as you have. How did you cope with the engorgement?, particularly at night? Did you sleep through?

thanks, i am very proud of how long i managed it for, but to be honest, i think i had it easier than a lot of exclusive expressers - i only really got engorgement when my milk came in. it was one of the most painful things i have ever experienced, like my boobs were on fire! but it soon eased off. after that, they would get full, but it was never really too bad. it never kept me awake, although i would wake up pretty uncomfortable in the morning and have to express straight away. i had a lot of issues with blocked ducts, though, which could be painful, and nothing except just keeping on expressing and giving them time would help.

i am feeling a little guilty about having stopped expressing, as i am still producing milk 2 months on! don't know how much, but it's enough for the occasional night time leak, and it only takes a little squeeze for a couple of drops to come out. i keep thinking my body is telling me it still can and wants to feed him, but i know i had to stop when i did. i'm just not always that logical.

i assume you are trying to get back to breastfeeding? i'm afraid i can't offer any advice on that one, but i really hope it goes well for you. i so wish i could have done it x

Has anyone who EP's experienced recurrent plugged ducts? This seems to be my new problem after almost 5 problem-free months... how did you handle it?

Hi girls,

I have expressed since day three when my milk came in, Almost for four whole months now, MY DD wouldnt latch as they gave her a bottle in hospital while i had to have an operation after birth.

But i love expressing (i think i am kinda addicted now) I have a competition with myself every day to get more and more milk out the best i have done in a day is 31.5oz.... I know, not a great amount compared to some and i have never had enough where i can freeze it, But my DD is thriving on it. Just lovely to find i am not the only one doing it exclusive.

Has anyone who EP's experienced recurrent plugged ducts? This seems to be my new problem after almost 5 problem-free months... how did you handle it?

Well done for doing it 5 months babes!! I massage mine but they havent been that bad yet!

i am trying to express to feed my daughter as she is becoming more fussy over the latch and has been topped with formula i want to cut the formula out tho and use breastmilk, are there any tips on increasing milk supply, i am only getting 1oz at the mo when using my elec pump, n obviously need more if am gunna start stocking it up? she is 19 days old x

pump as much as you can! breasts work on a supply and demand basis, so the more you pump the more your supply will increase. double pumping is good, as it increases the release of the hormones which stimulate your milk production - pumping from one breast while you feed from the other would have the same effect. i never put a time limit on my pumping - just pumped until the flow stopped. if you want to increase the supply, continuing to pump after the flow stops should help (it's like if you were feeding, if the baby wanted more they would keep sucking, even after the milk stopped flowing). pumping in the middle of the night is supposed to be better (perhaps if your lo wakes in the night for a feed you could do it then), as your hormone levels are highest then, although i never really found this to be the case for me. breast massage before pumping helps to stimulate the let down, and get the milk flowing quicker.

i think there are some herbal things which can help, and i remember reading something about oats, but to be honest i had too much milk if anything, and the above was enough for me.

i am trying to express to feed my daughter as she is becoming more fussy over the latch and has been topped with formula i want to cut the formula out tho and use breastmilk, are there any tips on increasing milk supply, i am only getting 1oz at the mo when using my elec pump, n obviously need more if am gunna start stocking it up? she is 19 days old x

Fenugreek worked wonders for me!

thank you, we are now up to 1.5oz lol not much but a slight improvement

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"