The Open University and Distance Learning thread

tallybee

DS '04, DD '06, DD '15
Reaction score
Hi all - I've seen quite a few threads about Open Uni and other distance learning, so thought I'd start up a general thread on the subject! Anyone wanting to discuss course choices/options, financial help, juggling studies with home life, work and other responsibilities - all welcome :thumbup:

I've been studying with the O.U. since 2007, and hope to graduate with a BSc (Hons) Open degree next year. My subjects of interest are just too random for a 'named' degree :blush:

I have completed : D240 Counselling: exploring fear and sadness (2010)
S216 Environmental science (2010)
S250 Science in context (2009)
S103 Discovering science (2007)

I am currently studying : U316 The environmental web (2011)
SDK122 Challenging obesity (2010)
SDK228 The science of the mind: investigating mental health (2010)

To complete my degree I'll be doing : S283 Planetary science and the search for life (2011)
S330 Oceanography (2012)
S366 Evolution (2012)

Hope to hear from some others with their experiences of the joys of open learning!

Hiya! :)

I'm currently doing SK120 - Diabetes Care.
So far i'm part way through my first assignment, i'm finding it challenging but not horrendous, it's definitely getting my brain back into gear!
I am counting it towards a Certificate in Health Science. I'm also going to college in September to retake my GCSE's, then doing an Access to HE the following year in hope of going to Uni to do Paramedic Science (sorry i went off topic there)

I'm hoping to do Human Nutrition next :)

Hey ladies!

I started with the OU last summer(ish) can't actually remember! I did want to do one of the business degree's, but now I've done a couple of courses I'm not so sure. I've so far done:

DB123 - You and your money (personal finance in context)
B120 - An introduction to business studies - (waiting for my results on this one!)

That should get me a certificate in business studies, if I pass B120. Then I'm thinking about dabbling into Law or Mathematics, not sure yet! It's nice having a break so I've got time to mull it over!

Tallybee, have you ever over-lapped courses? I was thinking about doing this to get my degree done quicker but think it'd get abit confused!!

I have completed;
S104 - Exploring Science
SK124 - Understanding the Autism Spectrum

I am currently;
..on a study break!

Next I will be doing;
DSE212 - Exploring Psychology (Oct 2011)
DXR222 - Exploring Psychology (June 2012)
ED209 - Child Psychology
SD226 - Biological Psychology: Exploring the Brain
DD307 - Social Psychology
DD303 - Cognitive Psychology

That looks a lot! But it should be done over the next 3(ish) years or the S104 won't count and I'll have to do something else in its place.

Hiya! Nice to see some replies. It's fab being able to fit it in around life, but can be incredibly tough actually motivating yourself don't u think? I find once I get myself actually working I really enjoy it though!

Has anyone had any really good (or bad) tutors? The best one I've had by far was on S216, the tutor we had was incredibly inspiring. It was also the course that brought me the first exam since I was in school :shock: (unless u count driving tests :rofl:) and without her help I really would have done a poor job. I got 79% for the exam in the end, giving me a grade 2 pass overall for the course - on course for a 2:1 degree which I'd be delighted with!
Level 3 is a step up though - :wacko: not necessarily harder just more involved. I honestly don't know what I'll do with all those spare moments once I've graduated.....

xx

Im studying the the OU, im doing K101 an introduction to health and social care

It's good to see you all here, I know I get a lot out of being able to study in the gold dust of time between other things, hope you're all enjoying it too xx

Tonight i'm struggling, i can't get my brain working at all and its stressing me out! lol. I think i'l have another bash at it tomorrow, assignment isn't due til 1st of June but i like being organised x

Yeah Sarah I like having things done in plenty of time too but it rarely works out like that - too good a procrastinator! :wacko: Silly tallybee! xx

I've made a plan for the next 8 days, in hope to get the assignment done, feeling lots more positive today, i hope it lasts! :) xx

I've made a plan for the next 8 days, in hope to get the assignment done, feeling lots more positive today, i hope it lasts! :) xx

Great! All the best. I need to knuckle down big time!

I start with a plan too... not that I keep to it very often and it's a last minute dash to get it ready! Only a couple more weeks till I get my results :D Still not sure what to do for my next course - there's too many to chose from!!

My next tma is due 9th june, im really struggling with me being ill though.

hi there!! Im doing DD101!! I should be doing my assignment right now! lol

I should be doing mine too! Silly me doing more than one course at a time, had TMAs due on the same day last time :shock: and now got an ECA due on the 8th and a TMA due on the 15th :shock: I know what I need to do, I just need a boot up the arse to go do it!!

I've done a small paragraph tonight, i'm really not feeling it!

Arr I know how you feel Sarah it's hard getting motivated. That's the upside of doing 2 courses at the same time for me - if one's going round in circles for me I pop over onto the other and it breaks the brick wall iykwim!

xx

Im studying with the OU too.

So far I have done B120 and DB123 which will give me a certificate in Business Studies and I am currently doing BU130 x

:wave: Becky

I'm actually quite enjoying having lots to do! Once the kiddies are in school and nursery I get stuck in and the time flies - but I'm actually getting stuff done :smug: :lol:

I'm scared of the summer holidays though :shock: my L3 doesn't let up at all while the chillies are off. OH will have to take them out lots at the weekends or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->