The pill and antibiotics

Kmx

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten pregnant whilst on the pill and taking antibiotics.

I didn't think this was a thing anymore and from what I can see online it's unproven so doctors don't suggest using another method of protection whilst using antibiotics but.. My sister is on the pill and she was taking antibiotics. I didn't think anything of it until 10 days later she mentioned she had extremely sore boobs and this was my first pregnancy symptom.

I did recommend she take a test but she brushed it off as she didn't think the antibiotics would cancel the pill protection.

So just wondering your thoughts please.

I was on the pill for more than 12 years. I never had it fail me. I was sick countless times and took a ton of meds over the years without any hiccups. About three years ago I was on five consecutive courses of antibiotics for a period of almost six months. I also went through three rounds of steroids. I felt like everything inside of me died... Also two years ago I was on three antibiotics at the same time for an aggressive infection and that didn't affect the pill either.

My sister got pregnant whilst on antibiotics

It depends on the antibiotics

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception-guide/pages/antibiotics-contraception.aspx

I know someone who got pregnant whilst on the pill but taking antibiotics

Yes, certain antibiotics do affect the pill. It's happened to countless numbers of my friends, because doctors no longer ask 'Hey, are you on the pill? Let me give you something that won't affect that!'
She's going to have to test, I'd say

Oh dear really! I think she was on the standard antibiotic amoxicillin for a chest infection and nhs doesn't mention this affects the pill.

She has only being officially dating her boyfriend for 4 months so she was convinced there was no way it could happen.

We're any of you on amoxicillin when you fell pregnant or were your friends that fell pregnant?

Contact a pharmacist and test. Good luck to her

My doctor ALWAYS informed me any time I had antibiotics, that they could interfere with the pill. It can also become ineffective if you have gastro or vomiting.

If I was your sister, I would be taking a test and speaking to a pharmacist. My doctor gave me an information sheet on the pill and antibiotics every single time! I had never heard of it not being 'proven'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->