The TTC Double Standard

Emmyjean

Mom to 2 Wee Lads
Reaction score
Just in the two week wait and was doing my usual nitpicky research on whether I did everything 'right' this time around and thought I'd make a comment on the conflicting responses people get when they look for answers about conception online depending on whether they are or aren't hoping to be pregnant.

If you are TTC there are a million things they tell you NOT to do if you want a baby - don't be on top during sex, don't pee (or even get up) for at least 20 mins after, don't use lube, don't eat this, don't do that. If you do it wrong, you are really messing up your chances.

If you are NOT TTC, then they act like getting pregnant is inevitable if you had unprotected sex no matter what you do or how you did it. Like it's the easiest thing in the world.

I understand that it's all about increasing your odds and why the responses differ, I just think it's slightly amusing (and slightly irritating, lol). :wacko:

Haha I never thought of it that way! though for the record. I did basically all those things when I fell pregnant, AND we had been using condoms lol and bam. 2 weeks and I was on the baby train.

and thats why I thought...just throw away the birth control and it'll happen straight away! Now im sitting here over a year later realising how wrong I was and how hard it actually is! :haha:

Haha! I've wondered if I was the only one who felt this way! The entire time I've been sexually active I've been petrified of getting pregnant, even (when I was younger...) wondering about whether I could get pregnant from using a swimming pool or from a toilet seat etc. :blush:
Then when you switch from that to TTC (or in our case originally NTNP) you think it'll be so quick because they drum it into you that it only takes that one teeny little spermie... :spermy:
I get that doctors & schools want kids to be careful, rightly so, but it does take a bit of a brain shift when you actually want to have a bubba. :wacko:

Haha - so true! Not thought about it like that before though, you're so right. :D

Yep! Again, totally get why there are such divergent answers, but it's just funny!

Also, reading what people say on Yahoo Answers or whatever has taught me one thing - no matter what your situation, there are people out there who will always relish making you feel like a fool who has no clue what you're doing, ha. There are some horribly judgmental people in this world (who also love to exaggerate)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->