The VERY proud VBAC birth story of my little son, Albert Alan (Bertie)

DonnaBallona

newlyweds!
Reaction score
Well, after 2 days of fake labour and thinking "Is this it?!" I finally knew it was the real thing after waking with a painful contraction at 1am on Friday morning. Not wanting to get my hopes up, I tried to go back to sleep, and just as I dropped off, I had another. Being the stupid, excited thing I am, I woke up Alan and told him I thought this was it-so we had a little snooze until 4am when I decided I would get up and bounce on my ball to bring them on stronger-I was determined to not let them stop AGAIN!!

so, fast forward to 8am, still bouncing and they're starting to hurt a little! :happydance: Brooke woke up, so we had some breakfast and then decided to go for a walk. We headed out at around 8.30am and had a HUGE long walk, about an hour!! I had to stop and breathe through the contractions at this point, they werent HUGELY painful or anything, just uncomfortable and just enough to know they were there.

Because I was a VBAC, I phoned the hospital at about 10am and they told me to come in for monitoring. We dropped Brooke off at her grandparents and drove over there-just poodled along though, as I knew we were in for a looooooooong wait! On arriving at the hospital, they put me on the CTG and monitored the baby for a while, he was ok and kicking happily-I was 2cms dilated and so they put me on the antenatal ward to sit it out, as it were. :winkwink:

So, all day Alan and I walked. and walked and walked and walked. I just dont DO sitting around, so we walked until I could walk no more! the baby was fully engaged so it was pretty blummin' uncomfortable but I knew that it would really help-and my god did it intensify things! Fast forward to 6pm that evening and they examined me again. I was having contractions every 4 mins at this point, had had no paracetamol yet and was confident I had progressed...but no! I was STILL only 2cms! I couldve cried. honestly. :blush:

So, I decided to get into the bathtub-and liked it so much I stayed there for about 90mins!I just kept topping up the hot water. I lost my entire plug all in one go whilst I was in the bath which I took as a good sign that things were happening and that the contractions werent all in vain. I was really worried they would tell me I was failure to progress and offer me a section-and I was determined to do this myself!! I eventually got out the bath (but only because someone else wanted to use it!:dohh:) Alan then had to go home as visiting hours were over which I found really upsetting-I felt really vulnerable alone and like I was starting to struggle to breathe through them.I really wanted some support but they wouldnt let him stay so he left-albeit VERY reluctantly.

So anyways, its around 9pm by this point and I was sticking them out! Contractions coming every 3 mins or so, and I finally gave in and had some paracetamol. I got into bed to be monitored on the CTG which was absolute agony, so instead insisted on standing by the machine, leaning over it and swaying my hips the entire time-much to the annoyance of the nurses, who wanted me to be in bed like everybody else! noooooooo way-that made it hurt more so upright I was staying. :winkwink:

10pm went by, 11pm, 11.30...Im still standing bent over the CTG monitor (which was now off!) and I was starting to groan everytime I could feel a contraction coming .(the poor women in the beds around me on the ward must have thought I was making such a fuss for nothing!).
The contractions were coming every 2 minutes by this point so I called the nurses and practically BEGGED them to check me again-and thankfully they told me I was 4 cms dialted. They rushed me off to labour ward-I suspect they were glad to get rid of me...LOL!! :winkwink:

I walked down to the labour ward (although looking back, I think I ran...) and had an almighty contraction in the waiting room outside in front of loads of people waiting for relatives which was a tadly embarrassing-not that I gave a monkeys butt. I had rung Alan and told him I was being transferred and felt so much better knowing he was on his way.

Got into the labour room, the nurses handed me over to the lovely midwives on the labour ward. I was on the bed on my knees at this point and finally had some gas and air which is the most bizarre thing I have ever had!!
During the handover, the midwives were eyeing me up suspiciously and asked the nurses how long ago they had checked me for dilation...it had been about an hour at this point. Alan arrived, the nurses from the first ward left and the midwives decided to check me again before offering me any stronger pain relief. Turns out I had gone from 4cms to 8cms in an hour!!!!! :cloud9:

No lies, I could have kissed that midwife when she told me that. I decided that now Alan was here I would just get into my mojo and concentrate on each contraction and breathe through them...the gas and air was good for chewing on, rather than inhaling! so I mostly just did that. It didnt really even take the edge off the contractions, just made me dizzy and thirsty so by the pushing stage I chucked it away and concentrated on getting my baby out!! I moved around alot, on the bed, off the bed, and found the best way for me to cope was leant over the bed and rocking my hips. I remember my waters breaking and being mortified-I kept apologising for the mess :blush:

At the next check, it was around 1.50am on Saturday and I was FINALLY 10cms dilated. I had been dreading this bit-I remember telling Alan I was frightened. He ever so helpfully told me that the baby was going to come whether I liked it or not-so I should push like Id never pushed before and get it over with! Not particulaly what I wanted to hear, Ill admit-but he was definatly right and the baby was on its way! Alan got out a little outfit and a nappy from the labour bag and I remember thinking "bloody hell, this is it!! Im actually going to give birth!!!" :shock:

So anyways, I started pushing....I pushed like I had never pushed before, trying desperatley to focus on the job and not the pain-I zoned in on the midwives and concentrated on what they were saying like my life depended on it.

After an hours worth of heave-ho...my darling baby was delivered yelling onto my tummy :cloud9: :cloud9:

I remember turning to Alan, who was now crying, and saying to him "I did it!!" before bursting into tears and looking at our baby in complete shock. The midwives said, well, dont you want to know what you've had?!" lifted up his leg and my GOODNESS, the shock when we realised he was a boy!!

Alan yelled "ITS A BOY!!!!" and gave me a massive kiss and we both cried some more...lots infact!

I didnt need any stitches at all (!) :cloud9: which I was so amazed at-I escaped with just a graze which is amazing. I had a shower and we spent the next hour gazing in awe at each other and our little baby-we just couldnt believe we had done it.

So, my little son Albert Alan (little Bertie) was born at 2.50am on Saturday 24.04.10, weighing 7lb 10.5oz :shock: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

so, here he is-isnt he a smasher?! :cloud9:

https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj150/2Donna1/SDC10348.jpg

and with his proud big sister...
https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj150/2Donna1/SDC10431.jpg

Congrats. He is handsome. I love the picture of him and Brooke. She is one proud big sister.

aww what an inspiring vbac story.. gives me a lot of hope lol
ur kids are gorgeous and your daughter looks so proud xx

Congratulations hun, the pic of him and Brooke is adorable :cloud9:

Wow, amazing story!!! Congratulations to you and a massive well done for the VBAC!

You're amazing Donna! He is absolutely gorgeous, and Brooke looks like such a proud big sister :hugs:

he is gorgeous donna, and well done on the VBAC! hope i can do as well as you :D

Congrats hun he is gorgeous!!!

You are amazing!! :D I hope my VBAC will be as amazing as yours!

I'm stalking you :) Brilliant birth story, so lovely that it went to plan (although I can't believe they sent Alan home, that seems a bit harsh).

It's great that you managed a VBAC too and it actually makes me look forward to getting this one out :) I was at about the same stage as you when I had gas and air and agree, it doesn't do much! But I hope I manage the same this time too with (touch wood) a bigger baby coming out!

Love the pics, esp the one with beautiful Brooke. xx

Thanks for all the lovely replies! :flower:

All you VBAC'ers-to-be, I sincerely hope you have an amazing time during labour just like I did. It hurt yes,BUT it was the most amazing experience of my life and I honestly treasure every second of the memory. :cloud9:

I had the perfect pregnancy, a perfect birth and now I have two of the most perfect children in the world. Yay for me! :cloud9:

Well done hun!!

He is just gorgeous :cloud9:

xxx

GET IN THERE MY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hugs:

x

wishing you massive congratulations hun, so glad you got your vbac. you must be over the moon.

little brooke is a big sister :cloud9:

well done hun xxx

Aww what a lovely story :cloud9: well done and congratulations! :)

Ohhhhhh my gosh, that picture of Brooke and Bertie...melts my heart :cloud9:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->