the worse feeling...

aww, reading this has made me feel so sad for her, bless the little lamb :( That's so mean of them, they shouldn't put the pink milk out if it's not included in the free meals. x

That would really upset me too :(

DS's school has a flat weekly rate for school dinners and no tuck shop. My son also gets free school meals atm, (though I did used to pay for them before his father and I split).
I would be fuming if the school told my DS he couldn't have something on display because he doesn't pay for his meals, ESPECIALLY as any child on this free meal scheme actually gets the school MORE funding from the government than other children.

Our school actively encourages parents to try and attempt to get the funding for this very reason

This would piss me off. It's unfair that she can't have something because she's on free meals, but good on you for giving her the money hun. At least she can have it now x

Aw this has made me so sad!!! Poor little miss! Can't believe the school would have different things for different kids! Terrible- you should defo say something hun but good on you for giving her her own little purse. It's reading things like this that make me dread Belle going to school and she's not even 2 yet!

xxxxx

It must have made her feel really sad. They shouldn't put it out if it's not inculded I personally don't think flavoured milk should be included at our school the kids who were on free school meals were given water like everyone else in primary school and then at high school they had to gave water while everyone else could buy a drink. X

so im going to reception to speak to them today, what should i say lol

Did you talk to them? what happened?

yeah its true, she has to pay 40p for a glass of chocolate or pink milk x

im so emotional today just shed a little tear over your lo
:'(
have i got it right the kids who's parents pay can have it with their lunch & the free school meal kids can't?? or do they all have to pay an extra 40p? x

That seems so unfair! I can understand that they can't afford to give the pink milk away, but then they shouldn't put it out. Or only have it out once a week/fortnight so that its easier for low income parents to afford.

It's a shame you have to pay and I do think they should maybe only have it out a fee times a week. But I don't think you should get it free as pink milk is a treat there's no need for them to have it so if your on a low income and can't afford it its just one of those tough things other children shouldn't have to miss out if there parents can afford it.x

That does seem really unfair, they shouldn't put pink milk out if it's only for the pupils who pay they must know others will pick it up if it's out. Bless you both though, at least she gets to have it today :hugs:

I had a similar thing happen with my lo at school. They give the kids juice with there lunch if you pay the 50p a week for it. I completely forgot and the refused to give joel a glass of juice for the sake of 10p that i wouldve paid when i picked him up. Poor bugger was so upset over it! Xx

I'm not familiar with it over there, but is regular milk included with her free hot meals?

It would make sense to me that strawberry milk and chocolate milk aren't free as they aren't as healthy and nutritious as regular milk. :shrug: Unfortunately it also makes sense that they put it out if its a paid item because kids LOVE it and of course are going to want it. :roll: Therefore Moms and Dads shelling out even more money. :nope:

In the uk children under 5 get free milk at morning break. Low income famines and families on benifits qualify for free school meals tge children get drinks which are usually wAter squash and done schools here offer normal milk if there's any left. X

It's a shame you have to pay and I do think they should maybe only have it out a fee times a week. But I don't think you should get it free as pink milk is a treat there's no need for them to have it so if your on a low income and can't afford it its just one of those tough things other children shouldn't have to miss out if there parents can afford it.x

I don't think school should be about what your parents can afford. There is enough of that as they get older. School is a great leveler where people from all economic backgrounds are seen as equal and as having the same potential.

Butsurely they hVe to learn at some point. Why should children who's parents can afford for them to have that drink not have it if they want just cos some parents can't? It's just a part of life. It's like saying a child can't wear expenisve clothes or have a expensive party cos another can't. Life's tough and if your parents hvent got the money and need help from the government unfortunately you don't get to have the sane things or opertunites that child who's parents aren't struggling for money do. Why should they miss out as to not upset another child? I don't think the governments should pay for them to have flavoured milk as it's a luxury. Thats just my opinion. If they op has a problem maybe take it up with the head or the govuners of the school

i didnt say i had a problem? my daughter now gets 40p a day for milk! im just saying it upset me that my daughter was upset, like it would any normal parent. nothing to do with price ect. she has lovely things ect, we get free meals because of low income BUT doesnt mean she goes without, we went disneyland in feb, my partner works his arse off.

No need to be touchy your jumping to convulsions did I say you said you want happy no? Did I say your daughter doesn't have nice things? No I used clothes as a example all i said was children who's parents can't afford it shouldnt IMO get it free but that shouldn't mean children who's parents can afford it should miss out just Cos some children are upset as that's life. No need to be so touchy I never said anything about you financial situation as it's nothing to do with me you posted a thread I gave my opinion just because i said in sorry your daughter was upset but then commented on the bigger picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->