the worse feeling...

I was commenting on the bigger picture as well. :flower:

I believe that regular milk should be available for all kids regardless of income. This is just ME personally, but we view chocolate or strawberry milk as a treat not a necessity. :shrug: So it makes sense to me that its out there to be paid for. Its no different to me than the aisles in the supermarkets chock full of sweets and candy... they put it out because they know kids will want it and parents will buy it.

Its not a reflection at all on anyone - in fact I think its lovely that you make sure your girl has the treat she wants. :cloud9: I do the same with Claire. :hugs:

Tbh I don't even see why they are providing "pink" and chocolate milk to the children, it's just added sugar to an otherwise healthy drink....I understand your upset and am glad you have rectified the situation for yourselves, I have to say I'd be a mean mummy and tell Elliot he couldn't have it even though we wouldn't get free school meals lol, bless him hope he understands when he's older lol, but that's through my parental choice, the school shouldn't decide what children can have on a basis of income IMO.

Aww bless her. She can ger her pink milk now:)
I remember being at school myself,getting the free school meals and whatever was out i was able to get on my card.I think thats only fair.

They should of told you about an additional charge for pink milk so you knew to send so the didn't get upset. It's weird because most schools have a uniform and that iS in part to stop bullying yet things like this set children apart in an obvious way. Weird.

I don't think children as young as four should be finding out life is tough tbh, they have years to discover that.

Oh and the free milk thing depends on area. Here under fives pay a reduced rate compared to the over fives x

That's such a sad story! I can't believe the school would be mean enough to display food/drinks that some children aren't allowed to have, particularly things like strawberry and chocolate milk because they're bound to be popular! Bless them.

I assumed I'd just go back to hairdressing when my daughter starts school but when I read things like this, it makes me want to tell them they can't have her and stay home with her forever in case anybody makes her feel sad! I get really upset thinking about it and she's only 1! X

They should of told you about an additional charge for pink milk so you knew to send so the didn't get upset. It's weird because most schools have a uniform and that iS in part to stop bullying yet things like this set children apart in an obvious way. Weird.

I don't think children as young as four should be finding out life is tough tbh, they have years to discover that.

Oh and the free milk thing depends on area. Here under fives pay a reduced rate compared to the over fives x

THIS!

bless her heart :(

I don't get why pink milk is there regardless of who it's for & if paid or not I thought schools were cracking down & making things healthier pink milk is not needed & in grand scheme isn't overly healthy
we used to get free milk & school meals but I actually gave it up cos I wasn't impressed with the rubbish my daughter was eating so she now packed lunches

I dont agree with class wars, sotospeak, starting at such a young age...but anyway.

Maybe pink and chocolate milk are there to encourage those children who wouldnt ordinarily drink regular milk to drink it...even tho sugary flavour has been added, your still getting the calcium from it.

Pink milks so Charlie and Lola.

Glad she gets her milk now tho, OP.

How sad:( glad she can have her pink milk now though. Lellow has a good point about flavoured milk being there to encourage kids who may not like regular milk to drink it. I was one of those kids that wouldn't drink milk and even now I will only drink it if its chocolate flavoured:blush:

But they should have told you that there would be some things out that would require an extra charge so you could plan accordingly.

Then I think that should be the parent's decision to send the child to school with milk alternatives, not the school's personally, in our house it's milk or water and I wouldn't want Elliot to have the choice so at least if he has to pay for it I can control that more but I don't think it should be on offer at all. It's not the school's problem to have to adhere to children's different tastes, they should supply the basics and if that isn't enough the parents should do what it is they want to do whether that's packing pink milk or whatever. But this is a separate issue so I won't carry on!

I'm glad shes getting it now hun.
Can totally understand your upset, it really looks like theres a divide and thats unfair!

:hugs:

xxx

tbh id rather her have any milk then water, if it helps her grow, shes a tiny dot lol

Whether or not the milk should be there or not it is terrible that some display foods have to be paid for separately. It makes kids stand out. Primary school kids do not need to "learn" a lesson about financial issues.

Agree with the posters who have said irrespective of whether or not the flavoured milks should be offered...they should be offered to everyone, or not at all. I fully agree that primary school is not a place to be learning that life can be tough and should not be encouraging any kind of divide.

Glad she's got her pink milk now :hugs:

Whether the school should offer flavoured milk or not is a completely different issue though. If they are going to offer 'extras' which require payment whether a child is on free school meals or not, the school should at least let parents know which items come under 'the free school meals umbrella' an which ones don't to avoid situations like this happening.

It's just a part of life. It's like saying a child can't wear expenisve clothes or have a expensive party cos another can't.

im pretty sure the majority of schools have a uniform policy which would prevent bullying etc happening from lack of expensive clothes :shrug:, maybe iv just been out of school to long to see nobody does this anymore :lol:

other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about milk consumption, you would be better off eating egg shells for calcium rather than drinking pasteurized milk as the process makes 50% of milk calcium unusable to the human body - so on that note, quite frankly im not sure any flavored milk should be offered regardless of income because its not really necessary IMO :flower:

However OP, Im glad you got something arranged for your daughter, atleast now she wont be upset because she cant have it :)

I can't believe they expect 4 year olds to have purses with money in! It should be included in the price you pay weekly, whether you pay for school meals or get free ones, each child pays the same price for their hot dinners.

Poor little girl :nope:

My DD came home crying the other day saying she had no one to play with except one girl. I asked who she wanted to play with and made sure she asked her before school if she could play with her that day coz I felt so bad

xx

I'm of the opinion that chocolate and strawberry milk shouldn't be available as it's bloody unhealthy and NO child will pick regular milk over flavoured... but I'm in the minority - and I can certainly understand why you were upset so I'm glad its sorted out now :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->