They are saying ectopic again or blighted ovum-UPDATE

pandi77

Reaction score
I thought things were looking good before DH and I left to see family in Chicago. At 5 weeks we had a scan measuring where it should be and hcg was 2017. My RE wanted me to be monitored since my last pregnancy was ectopic and so called me when I landed and strongly recommended I get in for a scan before coming home since no yolk sac was seen and therefore a uterine pregnancy couldn't be confirmed.

My sister managed to get me in to her office (small miracle) and a scan at 5 weeks two days still showed no yolk. They drew blood for another quant and asked me to come back in two days. Fun vacation lol. Went in today 5 weeks 4 days and still no yolk. To make it worse their lab's quant result was 3,000 from my first visit which means over two days it went from 2k to 3k :-( Their dr said bit to pay much attention to that since different labs get different results. She did say they usually see a yolk by my date tho and said maybe blighted ovum or ectopic. She did say it's possibly too early since I temp and told them I didn't ovulate until cd 16 (not cd 14) so using my last lmp date wasn't exactly accurate

So I am probably 5 weeks 2 days but feeling pretty crappy now a really scared something will happen on the long flight home. They did another quant today and said those results compared to the one two days ago is what we should focus on. I'm mad and sad at the same time and going to try not to show it at my sisters house (she's pregnant w/number 3 and due next month). Anyone with a similar experience? I want both good and bad... I want to be optimistic but realistic.

Thanks

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I went through something similar twice this past year. I was told blighted ovum both times but a week later a small baby with heart beat would show up. However, the heart beat was slow (under 100) and after holding on for another week or so, the baby would pass on. My hcg also was not doubling as it should.

I think they have found a gestational sac it is unlikely it is another ectopic unless there is an ectopic twin. I would not make any final decisions like d&c or taking any pills until you have a follow-up ultrasound or your betas are going down.

I wish my story had a happier ending. I am pregnant again and this one seems to be going better. But I know we would all prefer not to go through a loss before getting the baby we keep.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I went through something similar twice this past year. I was told blighted ovum both times but a week later a small baby with heart beat would show up. However, the heart beat was slow (under 100) and after holding on for another week or so, the baby would pass on. My hcg also was not doubling as it should.

I think they have found a gestational sac it is unlikely it is another ectopic unless there is an ectopic twin. I would not make any final decisions like d&c or taking any pills until you have a follow-up ultrasound or your betas are going down.

I wish my story had a happier ending. I am pregnant again and this one seems to be going better. But I know we would all prefer not to go through a loss before getting the baby we keep.

Thanks for sharing your story starry night. I guess I need to just wait for next week and see what happens. I don't understand why the dr's there said not to pay attention to the first hcg levels from them compared to my office at home. They said there's too big a variance and only to compare the numbers from today's draw to their previous draw two days ago. I get those results Monday ... Hard not to expect the worst.

This is not true, I had an ectopic in July and to the untrained eye I appeared to have a gestational sac in my uterus but it was a pseudosac. An indicator for ectopic pregnancy. These can be difficult to tell apart, mine lacked the white glow around it that gestational sac would have.

I'm sorry you're going through this again, it is heartbreaking and I hope your dates are just a little early. Praying for you :flower:

I am going through the same thing. I went last week for an early scan at 5 wks and only a sac was seen. I hear many stories of women not seeing a yolk sac or only a yolk sac at 5 wks and then going back in a couple weeks to find a heartbeat. I am going to hold on to hope and say that the same will happen for us. I go back on Mon for my follow up scan. These days are going by so slowly. Wish I could just know already. Trying not to stress too much. I am so sorry you have yo go through this while you are on vacation.

I am going through the same thing. I went last week for an early scan at 5 wks and only a sac was seen. I hear many stories of women not seeing a yolk sac or only a yolk sac at 5 wks and then going back in a couple weeks to find a heartbeat. I am going to hold on to hope and say that the same will happen for us. I go back on Mon for my follow up scan. These days are going by so slowly. Wish I could just know already. Trying not to stress too much. I am so sorry you have yo go through this while you are on vacation.

Mybabyluv3 I will try to stay optimistic with you. After the ectopic I'm trying to figure out if this is just natures way of saying "I can trick you so many different ways!" I was trying to make light of it with DH and said "well I guess a molar pregnancy will be next!" And he kind of looked at me like I was crazy. It sounds weird but I'd rather hear this is a blighted ovum if there IS a problem so I don't lose my remaining tube. I just can't be excited now like I was last week. Until I see a heartbeat it seems everything is subject to a bad ending.

Had a molar. No fun either. I'd take blighted ovum over a molar, not that I want either one, but at least you don't have to wait a whole year to try to conceive that would really be horrible. I guess there's nothing we can do about our situations. Pretty much out of our control so better to laugh than cry I guess.

They couldn't see a sac by me at 5 weeks 2 days, 3 days later is was 100% there. Hang in there! Hope this turns out well...

They couldn't see a sac by me at 5 weeks 2 days, 3 days later is was 100% there. Hang in there! Hope this turns out well...

Thanks so much. I feel a little bit better tonight as I got my second hcg from the lab here in Chicago and they say it rose appropriately. I thought it should double in two days and it went from 2,970 to 5,200. The doctor said it was okay so I guess the rising slows down at this point some?

Thanks so much. I feel a little bit better tonight as I got my second hcg from the lab here in Chicago and they say it rose appropriately. I thought it should double in two days and it went from 2,970 to 5,200. The doctor said it was okay so I guess the rising slows down at this point some?

The doubling is within a complete 48 hour period. So unless you got them at exactly the same time 48 hrs apart, they can vary :) the going up is a good thing! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Hang in there - these 5 week scans can be a nightmare. I had one with my first child and they just saw a sac and also said it could be a blighted ovum and I must wait two weeks - at the 7 week scan baby was there and perfectly healthy with a good heartbeat.

With my second child I did not want to go through the agony of that wait I had had the last time and asked for an appointment when I would be 7 weeks and everything was fine.

However because ectopics are dangerous you probably should go back earlier than 7 weeks pregnant and you should also keep a close eye for any pain and go and get checked out if you land up in pain. My SIL did have 2 ectopics and is now having IVF - she gets her blood test results on Monday to see if the embryos implanted.

Try not To worry Hun when your levels are over 1200 apparently they double in 72 hours not 48 xx

I did three betas all between 4w6d-5w5d. The first two had a doubling time of 82 hrs (4200-7850) but between the second and third it doubled with a time of 53hrs. Was SURE of another blighted ovum, but saw a beautiful babe with heartbeat measuring larger than my lmp at 9.5 weeks. Of course I don't assume I'm out of the woods, but the point of my story is that very strange things happen with betas and they can mean not much at all! (All my counts were done at the same lab)

Thanks ladies...I fly back home tonight and have promised myself no more google and stick to the forum here. Everything online says a yolk should have been seen with hcg over 2,500 but the human side to these stories suggest otherwise. Since I can't do anything but wait I'm just going to try to relax. It's out of my hands so I will hope for the best on my scan next week. Thanks for the stories of encouragement and fir sharing. I will update next week..

With my son I had a beta of nearly 10 000 and they only saw a gestational sac. A week later there he was with a heart beat of 145. And I don't have a tilted uterus.

With my son I had a beta of nearly 10 000 and they only saw a gestational sac. A week later there he was with a heart beat of 145. And I don't have a tilted uterus.

Wow! That makes me feel much better. I guess I shouldn't put so much weight in what "they" say should be seen at a certain hcg measurement. I assume you had an internal scan starry night?

Tomorrow is the big day for me. Hope to come back with good news. Another success story to give you more hope!

Tomorrow is the big day for me. Hope to come back with good news. Another success story to give you more hope!

Me too mybabyluv3....I will be thinking of you and may be getting a scan too if they can squeeze me in. How far along will you be tomorrow? Do you know what your hcg is/should be then?

At 5 weeks my beta was 11,000 and I just saw the sac. And then at 8 weeks baby with heartbeat. So trust in God! Not google hehe! Fx for you x

At 5 weeks my beta was 11,000 and I just saw the sac. And then at 8 weeks baby with heartbeat. So trust in God! Not google hehe! Fx for you x

Goodness I guess dating a pregnancy by hcg quants really isn't applicable! Was that an internal scan?

I hope so much I can add to these success stories sometime this week. It's been such a rough year...fired from my job of 8 years, 3 chemical pregnancies and an ectopic. This would be such a special gift for my and DH. Not just my dream of a baby but his... My 41 year old best friend lol. He's ready to be a dad too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->