• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Thick nuchal fold at 17 week scan. Should I panic?

Pippy83

Reaction score
Hi all,

The dr gave me almost no information at my 17 week gender scan so I'm hoping you girls might know something and could help. This is our first baby, 3rd pregnancy (first was blighted ovum, 2nd was chemical.) I'm 31.

Tech saw a nuchal fold of 6mm. Everything else looked normal except our little girl was scrunched up so she couldn't see the heart. :( Tech said the NF was thicker than it should be, she THOUGHT. She said she never measures them at this in between stage so she wasn't sure.

Doc wanted us to have blood test to check for DS but it's not covered by ins so my DH and I want to wait until our next scan in two weeks when they check the heart.

My question is: How big of a deal is this? Does anyone know what the NF measurement should be at 17 weeks?

Also what will they look for in my little girl's heart? Abnormalities to pair with the NF that will indicate DS or something worse? The dr just told me not to google which scared me even more.

ANY help is so much appreciated!!

I no dr but I know in the uk they don't measure the NF after 14 weeks, so don't read too much into it. All babies have their heart checked at 20 weeks, to check there are 4 separate chambers, values and that the blood flows the correct way. Try not to worry, if they were really worried they would have seen you sooner than in 2 weeks xxx

Thank you lizlemon!!!! I won't worry until I have a for sure reason.

Hi, I'm not sure about the measurements at 17weeks as I had the NT scan done at 12 weeks. My reading was about 6mm and little bub had trisomy 13 after further testing.

I am not sure if the thickness will decrease or increase with gestational age, but my poor bub had fluid from neck to bum, that's why we were pretty certain there was a chromosomal problem. I have read other stories that the baby simply had a fat neck(!!) and that was whats giving the reading.

Good luck! Big hugs to you.. I know exactly what you are going thru.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->