Things came to a head tonight...

bev309

Reaction score
And I had to come to a decision to let Jack cry it out as I am at the end of my tether regarding his sleeping habits. I have slept on the setee for 4 nights now as he wouldn't settle in his cot, more often than not waking as soon as he was placed down. I had tried everything imaginable, first of all waiting until he was in a deep sleep before attempting to put him down, making sure the bed was warm with a hot beanie, wrapping him in a blanket so transition from arms to bed was easier, white noise (used to work), sshhhsshing & patting, lavender, baths, music, mobiles, light shows but all to no avail. He won't even sleep in bed with me! (he will only sleep in chair downstairs, or on the setee in the daytime) So I decided that although it is unbearable to listen to him crying - it is going to be best for all the family in the long run, including himself if he learns to get to sleep by himself.
I was suprised - as it only took an hour (of constant screaming:cry:), but he finally went off on his own - & it is the deepest sleep I think he has ever had - he hasn't made a peep - we usually have to creep around upstairs in cas the slightest noise wakes him - even a noise from downstairs!!! His classic FM is still on low in the background which he likes - see how long he lasts!!!

EDIT: I need to add that the 'hour of constant screaming' wasn't an hour solid - I was going in to see him every 5, 10 15 mins max, as I didn't make this clear when I first posted this thread.

god luck hun! hope this is the start of his 'new' sleeping habits but without the crying xxx

Bless you it is hard..i know i went thru it with kieran but it did help, is he in his own room?

We moved kieran and just left him, the next nite he slept thru for the first time after 7months x

i went through that too, it took an hour and half to only 15mins now for him to settle by himself! I think jayden is getting used to the fact that its time to go bed now.

Good luck hope jack get his routine soon. But you should persist he will get used to it. :hugs:

Oh hun, it must be so hard but hopefully after a few nights he'll cut down on his crying until he eventually isn't crying at all. Big hugs.

Bless you it is hard..i know i went thru it with kieran but it did help, is he in his own room?

We moved kieran and just left him, the next nite he slept thru for the first time after 7months x

No - not in his own room as we are only 2 bed at the moment so he is in with us (or me as DH works away) Hoping to sort something out soon & maybe turn one of the other rooms into a bedroom so that he will have his own room which again will be beneficial to us all!
He is still sleeping soundly - have to stop myself checking him every 10 mins or I will end up undoing all the hard work:dohh:

i went through that too, it took an hour and half to only 15mins now for him to settle by himself! I think jayden is getting used to the fact that its time to go bed now.

Good luck hope jack get his routine soon. But you should persist he will get used to it.

Oh hun, it must be so hard but hopefully after a few nights he'll cut down on his crying until he eventually isn't crying at all. Big hugs.

It's going to be a hard time over the next few nights I'm sure, but now I know that he WILL go to sleep on his own, it will get a bit easier - hope he learns quickly though:cry:

stick to it hun its hard hearing them cry the amount of times ive nearly gonew in to pick riley up from crying and oh has stopped me he settles within 10 minutes on his own now and knows bed time is when he goes in his cot good luck

Your doing great hun , yes its hard but he will get used to knowing , 'this is bedtime and mummy wont come and get me however much fuss i make and then sleep' I did CIO method on both girls and they are the best sleepers :)
Stick in there hun , its well worth it in the long run ;)

Aww bless...stick to it hun...i started doing this quiet eaarly on and now it only takes my bubs max 10mins to fall asleep on his own...its all worth it:) Goodluck :hugs: x

Well he had the best nights sleep ever - he slept from 9.40pm until 8.00am this morning without a peep - no crying for dummy or anything!!! :happydance: He also seems more contented this morning as he has had an unbroken sleep. Not looking forward to tonight, but have to stick with it now & hopefully it will be a little easier.
A Question for those of you have done this before - did you also leave LO cry at nap times too - I'm not going to put him in cot for naps yet as I don't want to cause him too much upset, I was going to wait until he is falling asleep on his own in there with no problems.
Thanks!

Yes also did this for naps times as it helps with routine that knowing they go alsleep in there cot and not on mummy.

Thats brilliant that he slept basically all nite, hope you slept well too x

An hour of constant screaming :shock:

Sorry to be blunt I agree with controlled crying but not an hour!

Wow go jack :)

It is hard to hear them scream hun, but it doesnt hurt him. they scream/cry in frustration that the first cry hasnt got your attention as per.. so its a vicius cycle until they drop off from exhaustion..

im not looking forward to this when we move into our own house, as Rhiannon will have been with me in my room forover a year..gulp!!

Glad it went well for you hun, it must have been really hard for you to hear him cry for that long but he'll also benefit from having a better nights sleep. i'm also considering doing this when my lo is 6 months if his sleeping habits dont get better, was Jack waking up for night feeds?

He'd have a better nights sleep from complete exhaustion from crying his blooming heart out in a MESS!! I as an adult would fall asleep after that too ...So wrong :(

I defend controlled crying ...I agree on it if I can do it or not is a diff matter but theres a line I don't agree with this (the hour of constant screaming).

An hour of crying is not whinging its like being left to be taught a lesson being left wondering why nobody is coming? no reassurance somebody is there? Imagine that feeling. Imagine your own state if you were left crying constantly for an hour ......

15 minutes TOPS we have done it for if she is getting distressed (screaming) we will not leave her in a room of nobody ...we have done the reassurance thing where you let baby know your there but we don't take her out of the cot, pick her up, cuddle her etc but she knows we're there.

BABY needs to know Mums there if you like it or not comes with parenting and babies slip in to routines at different stages and theres limits imo how you help that along.

Sorry if I upset anyone (don't mean or want to) but hey thats what I think and won't let anyone convince me an hour of that is OK.

Sorry, but I am with Wobbles! No way I'd let my babies scream for an hour...that's far too long.

It wasnt an hour solid - I meant an hour from the time we started to when he went to sleep - I went into him every 5 mins then 10 mins then 15 mins max - I would never leave him scream for an hour solid & am offended that you think that I would!!!!

It wasnt an hour solid - I meant an hour from the time we started to when he went to sleep - I went into him every 5 mins then 10 mins then 15 mins max - I would never leave him scream for an hour solid & am offended that you think that I would!!!!

Sorry just re-read my post & I didn't make that point clear - I put constant screaming whereas I meant crying for an hour but with me going into him in between. In the end he went off to sleep quietly after I had been in to see him. Sorry to keep re-posting, but I am upset that people think that I would leave him crying for an hour solid where all I have ever done is pick him straight up as soon as he cries, rock him to sleep every night since he has been born, hold him for hours on end & attend to his every need. I need to do this as he is getting big & heavy, he fights his sleep, wriggles to try to get out of my arms & my back cannot take it any more, he also needs to sleep in something other than his bouncy chair for the sake of HIS back too, & if this is the only thing that works then so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->