Things to do before TTC?

NextYear

Reaction score
Hello

Thanks again for the responses I got yesterday. What a lovely friendly board :hugs: I will do my best to answer questions when/if I can but I'm very new to this and not even TTC right now!

As per the subject, I'm wanting to find out what I should be doing before TTC. We plan to start approx 10-12 months from now and I want to make sure me (and DH where appropriate!) are in the best of health etc before starting.

So, I read I should be eating more dark green leafy veg (with folates in such as spinach) as an example. Anything else? More exercise would probably be a good idea lol.

I'm actually a little underweight for my height so is that something I should be concerned about?

Cheers for any tips and advice and sorry if any of this sounds dumb!
- NextYear

Start taking a prenatal multivitamin, or at least folic acid before ttc. Exercise is always a good idea, just don't try to be a weightlifting queen. :wacko:

Just try and be in good health. try not to stress out too much.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I know I'm probably worrying too much about it already, I guess I'm just impatient to be doing something towards :baby: time :)

i know the feeling...we've only on cycle #2 but I've been ready for a lot longer (ok, thinking I'm ready...there will always be surprises that I never even thought of!) and it seems like we've been trying for so much longer...but it will happen when it's supposed to happen.

Honestly if we could afford it and I was sorted with the right job (I'm currently applying for a new one as the one I'm in isn't paying me enough!) and we had sorted the house (hoping to move around easter next year), if that was all already done and dusted then I'd want to start now. DH said last night he is not quite ready personally anyway but believes he will be in by the time we've got all that sorted.

By the looks of things you've been together a long time too (we're nearly at 8 years and 1 yr married) so you probably understand my impatience ;)

Thanks,
NextYear

I know how you feel, you want to give yourself the best possible chances of conceiving a healthy baby! Before you TTC, like dakini said, you will want to start taking a prenatal vitamin or folic acid. I would also recommend (about a month before you start trying) to stop taking most medications (if there is a medication you must take I would speak with your dr. about it). I am not sure where you live but you may be able to contact your general physician for a "pre-conception" consultation, that might help set your mind at ease a bit. Good luck with everything!

Another reason I'm thinking so far in advance is that DH was born with water on the brain (hydrocephalus) which caused him to have a very bad childhood (was majorly picked on due to his larger than average head bless him!). Thankfully it is rarely hereditary but I do want to be careful to do everything in my power to make sure our children don't have anything like that, or at least, anything that is preventable!

Luckily I'm not on any medication other than BC which I plan to stop soon. I will look into the vitamins however.

I wish I could talk to my GP, but he's male and I find him very difficult to talk to tbh, perhaps I should look for a new one before TTC?

Cheers again,
NextYear

If you aren't comfortable asking these questions to your GP than I would suggest you look for a new one that you are more at ease with (probably a female?) I know when my DH and I were looking for a family dr. I insisted that we find one who is female because I knew we were about to TTC and I felt I would be more comfortable with a woman. If your GP is part of a practice maybe there's a female dr. there who can take you as her patient??

if you're not comfortable with your doc, that will make it very hard to talk with them and ask the questions you need to ask. That being said, you may get a different doc than your GP, you'll be getting an OBN...correct me if I'm wrong!

And I forgot totally about the other meds...stupid because I stopped taking Paxil around May...

Thanks again both.

Nope its a one-dr only practice. He just isn't all that approachable or helpful tbh. I guess I'll change when we hopefully move next year. There is my nurse who is absolutely lovely but unfortunately she only does morning apps so I can't see her at the moment due to working. Which means more questions for you guys ;)

-NextYear

Save up a lot of money - lol

Start taking some vitamins
Eat well
Exercise regularly, but don't stress about your weight too much
Write lists etc now to save time panicking nearer the time (what you'll need for baby, hospital lists, birth plans.. of maybe the last two a little nearer the time, depending on how organised you want to be!)

It's so great when you've had your first baby, you know what you need, what you don't and where to start. With Bethanie I was a bit clueless, but I feel so confident for the next one.

Is this your first??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->