• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Things to do in north england

jensonsmummy

Reaction score
HI we have a wedding to go to next year in whalton near newcastle and was hoping to stay for a week. Possibly stay in manchester for the first 3-4 days. Has anyone any suggestions of things to do with two kids aged 2 and 4,5, we seen there is a lego discovery genre but that's all we know.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We are coming from Northern Ireland so don't know too much

The discovery museum in the city centre is great, and free. It's all interactive with things for toddlers up. There's a water room, too, so if you do go, take a change of clothes and a towel for them! The centre for life may have something for children that age, but I'm not sure, you'd need to check
If you can travel a bit, there's also Alnwick gardens, about 45 mins drive away which has a maze and I tink a tree house, and all the roman wall sites if you like a walk. Some have visitor centres. If the weather's ok, there are some nice beaches at Druridge Bay and all up the Northumberland coast, boat trips to the Farne Islands.
If the weather is awful, the Metro Centre will kill an hour or two =)

https://www.diggerland.com/

https://www.beamish.org.uk/

https://www.life.org.uk/

I've never been to Newcastle but have been to neighbouring Northumberland - the area in and around Alnwick is very pretty, beaches and walks etc. Alnwick castle is great (if you're into Harry Potter, the outdoor Hogwarts scenes eg courtyrard etc were filmed there).

Manchester I know more about as I live in town just outside the city. The Manchester Science &Industry Museum (MOSI) is great for kids, they have a steam train you can ride on etc. The Manchester Museum isalso rreally good - dinosaur skeletons, mummies and stuffed animals. Depending on the time of year there are often festivals going on in the city. The Trafford Centre has good shopping and leisure facilities including a Legoland centre, and next door is the Chill Factore. For the grown ups the Northern Quarter is the "cool" place to go (most places will happily let kids in during day) for restaurants and bars, it's a fairly laid back feel and there's an arts and craft centre (for buying crafted stuff but some places have workshops too I think).

A bit further afield you can get to Lyme Park (about 8 miles from city centre but direct train or drive up one main road). Lyme Park is one of the National Trust's prime attractions, with house, gardens and country park - there's lots of deer and adventure playground for varying ages. If you're into Colin Firth this is where the famous Mr Darcy coming out of the lake scene was filmed! A bit further south still you can get to the Peak District - Buxton and Castleton are particularly lovely tourist areas and Castleton is surrounded by really good caves you can tour.

I would point out though that Manchester to Newcastle is about 4 hours by car and about 2 hours by train so you will have some travelling to do mid-holiday if you do both places.

I live in Newcastle, the above mentioned are great. Saltwell Park is also really pretty too, there is a maze, obviously a huge park, lots of pretty scenery, a boating lake etc although it is in Gateshead. There is tons of soft plays, look into Krazy Kingdom and Mr Twisters! fab!. Feel free to message me if you want some recommendation around Newcastle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"