things we werent told

I just had my third baby, and have never had vitamin D drops mentioned to me. Were up north too. x

It was my HV in Blackburn that gave us ours at about 4 weeks but kept forgetting and nobody else has ever mentioned them - although I've only seen a HV once since we moved.

Apparently there's been an increase in the rate of rickets in the UK in the last few years because people are afraid to expose their kids to sunlight. Hence the vitamin D recommendation.

I know DD wasn't in direct sunlight for months after she was born because it was summer and, unusually for Ireland, too sunny for newborn skin.

It felt like no-one had told me anything at all, to be honest! I've never felt so clueless and inadequately informed as I did for the first 4 months or so. The Baby Whisperer and the internet saved my sanity!

I totally agree. I'm only just starting to feel confident doing anything now she's 3 months.

And I thought I was well prepared! :rofl:

No one told me:

I wouldn't be able to go #2 on my own until 10 weeks after birth.
that contractions feel like menstrual cramps.(that pissed me off the most)

* No one told me that despite him latching like a champ, and me positioning him correctly... BFing would still hurt like hell for a month after.

* That I would waddle much worse from my tear stitching, then I ever did while I was pregnant.

* That my first time home with him, I would feel incredibly nervous in my own home! I was also incredibly nervous my first time out, too. Nearly cried by the end of it, and just made the experience worse for him.

* That babies can develop rashes for no apparent reason, and that it's perfectly normal.

* That I would suddenly become worried even a few hours away from him -- I've never worried so much over *anybody*, before!

You really never grasp how quickly your life will suddenly focus so intently on someone else, until you have your first child... I was *so* in the dark, on just how attached you feel, as a parent.

I have had four babies and I learn something new everytime..

1) a clean diaper is a natural laxitive](*,)
2) the sound of a fork on a plate is a baby's cue to cry:baby:
3) the only time there will be a diaper mulfunction ( poop up the back ) is when you have a onesie on the baby:sick:
:rofl:

they never tod me giving birth could re-break my tail bone so now got at least 6months of healing from that again before i can get bk on a horse :( and n one told me about growth spurts i ony found out about them from being on here and my mum

Mine were:

No one told me about cluster feeding
No one told me I may not instantly fall in love with my baby. I didn't, and felt terrible.

Mine were:

I didn't realise that you could feel so tired and I now know what the term exhausted actually means.

I didn't know that my heart would explode with love everytime my baby laughs.

I didn't know i would rely so much on this site for all my niggling doubts and questions, this site is a godsend and has helped me so much...thank you ladies :)

nobody told me that even 6yr olds don't do lie-ins.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No-body told me how much toilet trouble i'd have after giving birth! that was a nice surprise...

and actually no-body told me how much my uterus contracting after giving birth would hurt... a nurse asked me if i wanted pain killers a few hours after having my LO, and i said no, thinking 'what an idiot'

Was it just me but no one told me anything much about pushing during labour. I knew u had to push at some point toward the end but I didnt realise exactly when ie at the time of ur contrations and exactly how to push ie like really trying to go to the loo!!! Am I the only one who was clueless on the whole pushing bit???

No-body told me how much toilet trouble i'd have after giving birth! that was a nice surprise...

and actually no-body told me how much my uterus contracting after giving birth would hurt... a nurse asked me if i wanted pain killers a few hours after having my LO, and i said no, thinking 'what an idiot'

Snap!!

I also had a cough at the time and everytime i coughed it felt like the world was gunna fall out my foof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was it just me but no one told me anything much about pushing during labour. I knew u had to push at some point toward the end but I didnt realise exactly when ie at the time of ur contrations and exactly how to push ie like really trying to go to the loo!!! Am I the only one who was clueless on the whole pushing bit???

Totally! They just left me to it and said "push if you need to" so as soon as I felt her head I just went for it! I'm sure that's why I ended up with such a big tear. :dohh:

I never thought i would love someone so much!

When i got home from hospital i had 4 hours sleep in 4 days but all i wanted to do was look at him sleeping....! (fool!)

no one told me what rubbish most the health visitors talk! honestly, the amount of conflicting advice i have been given from different hv...grrrrr, have learnt more from the internet and this forum!!
no one told me i would hurt the days after bith, walking would make me feel as though i was in labour again!
no one told me how amazing it is when i go into lo in the morn and he gives me the best smile ever cos he is so happy to see his mummy!
no one told me about growth spurts, just when you have a routine sorted, it goes out the window cos of blummin growth spurts!
could go on with more....but better stop before i sound like an old whinge bag!
x

i wish someone warned me about how painfull after pains would be with ur 2nd!

no-one told me that i don't need to do everything that the mw's say to the letter; that they just offer advice and half the time they're wrong - took me several months to figure this out.

no-one told me why i needed to have a c-section - still don't know

no-one told me that you wave goodbye to sleep for almost 4 months

that bf hurts like hell and had me in tears at every feed for two months - (thanks mw for useless advice ref thrush in the nipples)

Nobody told me that when they say some babies don't sleep through the night until they are 2 years old that didn't mean just 1-2 wakings over a 12 hour period once they get past the first 4 months, but actually waking every 2 hours at night for over 10 months!!

Okay.
I wish someone had told me that she would be the most beautiful, funny little girl ever. I was so, so nervous about being a mummy and it's not scary, it's amazing and she has me laughing all day.

As someone eagerly awaiting her first LO and being inundated with all sorts of "advice" about how awful it's all going to be, I just loved your positive comment. Thanks so much for reassuring me that among the struggles there is a lot of joy! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->