Think (hope!) we finally have a girl name! What do you think?

Mapleroo

Reaction score
Hi Ladies!

So we are expecting baby #4 and been having trouble finding a girl name that we can both agree on. Our other kids names are...

Jacob Thomas
Anna Mae
Orrin Seth

The boy name we have had since the beginning is...

Benjamin Joseph

The girl name that we have just discovered that we both like (gasp!) is...

Elizabeth

I must admit, I have never considered this name before, but for some reason I really like it now. The problem that I am having is that I wanted a family name for this girl. Our daughter is named after her paternal great grandmother. I was very close to my Grandmother who has now passed away and would love to name this girl after her. My Gran's name is Verna Emily. My sisters name is also Emily so my DH doesn't want to use that. I also love the name 'Grace' and think that 'Elizabeth Grace' is a beautiful name, but there isn't a family connection. What does everyone think of...

'Elizabeth Verna'??

I have to admit, I don't love it (actually not even sure I like it!) but it's my Gran's name and I loved my Gran. Any other ways I could honor my Gran with this baby? Am I being way too superficial? I would love some honest opinions!

I much prefer Verna to Grace

Really?!?!

Hmmm

Verna is Unique, classic and has family connection

Grace in uncreative, run of the mill, common and not even feminine like rose imho

Thank you for your input! I was worried that Verna is too 'old lady' sounding, but your right the family connection is important. I have loved Grace since I was a kid so never thought of it as being common, but your right it has become very popular now.

Not a fan of elizabeth verna, elizabeth grace is really pretty. I like verna alone. Maybe ull like another girls name that sounds better with verna :)

I prefer Elizabeth Grace, but if you want something less common and don't care for Verna, maybe go with something similar?

Similar sounding:
Vera
Veda
Vernice
Verda
Veronica
Fern
Laverne

Similar meaning:
Mae
May

These are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others, though.

My honest opinion is that it is a middle name. Chances are it's not going to get used a whole lot, and unless someone asks no one really HAS to know the MN. If the family tie is so important to you, I would use Elizabeth Verna. No one is going to judge when you mention that it was your grandmother's name, and if it were me, having the family connection there would be more important than having a name that flows well.

also, imo-Elizabeth Verna isn't that terrible together ;)

I quite like Verna as a middle name also love Elizabeth Classic! Xx

Beautiful but I prefer Eliza. Benjamin Joseph is lovely. Those two names are in my top 5.xx

My honest opinion is that it is a middle name. Chances are it's not going to get used a whole lot, and unless someone asks no one really HAS to know the MN. If the family tie is so important to you, I would use Elizabeth Verna. No one is going to judge when you mention that it was your grandmother's name, and if it were me, having the family connection there would be more important than having a name that flows well.

also, imo-Elizabeth Verna isn't that terrible together ;)

Yes I have considered this. Although I would love for her to have a pretty name also!
We have loads of time to decide so who knows what name I might grow to love next. Although because I'm not a huge fan of Verna I'm not sure I'm going to be completely happy with any combo.

Thanks ladies so much for your help, I really appreciate it :)

My girls' middle names are after my grandmothers, but my grandmothers had very...grandmotherly names :) so I went with their maiden names rather than their first names.

How about changing it up a little maybe.
Eliza Emmy?
Elizabeth vern (pronounced fern) slightly more modern but still honouring your grandmother.

I think personally I would find a name to go with Emily and honour your grandmother and sister, verna is very old sounding.

My girls' middle names are after my grandmothers, but my grandmothers had very...grandmotherly names :) so I went with their maiden names rather than their first names.

My grandmother's maiden name is 'Sherwood'. 'Elizabeth Sherwood '?? Hmm not sure... It's very English sounding (certainly not a bad thing)

How about changing it up a little maybe.
Eliza Emmy?
Elizabeth vern (pronounced fern) slightly more modern but still honouring your grandmother.

I think personally I would find a name to go with Emily and honour your grandmother and sister, verna is very old sounding.

I agree! I would much prefer to use Emily as a middle name but my DH doesn't like it as a middle name! Grr. Maybe though if I can come up with a first name he loves that goes beautifully with Emily, he won't be able to refuse!

Hmmm - I am not a fan of naming a baby *after* someone. I know MOST people love this and think it's very sweet and meaningful BUT I wanted to name my baby. PERIOD. I wanted him to have his own special name, unique to just him. I wanted to search for months for the PERFECT name. And if I ever am blessed with a baby girl - I want to search for months for the absolute most beautiful girl name I can find. I want to love it 100%. I would never want to use a family name out of obligation. I'm sure my deceased loved ones wouldn't want me to settle on a name that I don't love for my baby!

Besides, maybe your Grandma didn't even like the name Verna and wouldn't want you to name the baby that? My mom, for example, hates her name - and would never want me to name my baby after her!

I'm just saying - there are other ways to honor your Gran - don't feel obligated to name your baby Elizabeth Verna! :flower:

I like Elizabeth, by the way - and love Benjamin. I think "Libby" is a very cute (less common) nickname for Elizabeth!

The name Veronica has "Verna" in it - do you possibly like that?

Elizabeth Veronica
Veronica Elizabeth

Emily is also a cute name & gives you some options to work with!

Hmmm - I am not a fan of naming a baby *after* someone. I know MOST people love this and think it's very sweet and meaningful BUT I wanted to name my baby. PERIOD. I wanted him to have his own special name, unique to just him. I wanted to search for months for the PERFECT name. And if I ever am blessed with a baby girl - I want to search for months for the absolute most beautiful girl name I can find. I want to love it 100%. I would never want to use a family name out of obligation. I'm sure my deceased loved ones wouldn't want me to settle on a name that I don't love for my baby!

Besides, maybe your Grandma didn't even like the name Verna and wouldn't want you to name the baby that? My mom, for example, hates her name - and would never want me to name my baby after her!

I'm just saying - there are other ways to honor your Gran - don't feel obligated to name your baby Elizabeth Verna! :flower:

I like Elizabeth, by the way - and love Benjamin. I think "Libby" is a very cute (less common) nickname for Elizabeth!

The name Veronica has "Verna" in it - do you possibly like that?

Elizabeth Veronica
Veronica Elizabeth

Emily is also a cute name & gives you some options to work with!

I dont feel obligated at all to use it. All my kids have a name that is 'special' to us for one reason or another so it is important to me to keep that going. My Gran was such a special part of my life that I really want to use her name but it just stinks that I don't love it! Haha. I like Emily though so I may just have to pull rank with the ole DH and say Im using it!:blush:

I agree with "libby" as a nickname. That is one thing I love about the name 'Elizabeth', there are so many options for nick names. My poor DD feels so deprived that she got 'Anna' without many nickname options.:shrug:

I think I might look into names with using the middle name 'Emily' and see what I can come up with. Ho Hum back to the drawing board:wacko:

I like Elizabeth and Verna (and Sherwood :) ) Did your grandmother have a middle name?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->