Thinking about a home birth..

Zanny

Mummy of 2 and pregnant
Reaction score
I know it's a little early to be thinking about this, but I'm considering having this baby at home. I never used to think I'd want to give birth at home because of the mess & possible complications etc.. but I've done a lot of research & it actually seems like something I'd be interested in.

I hated being in hospital & being by myself.. My OH wasn't allowed to stay with me past 8pm. Some of the midwives were moody & they made me feel bad about feeding Jenny formula (even though she couldn't breastfeed!).

I'm just worried that the midwives won't want me to give birth at home because I had a third degree tear last time. I'm unlikely to have another IUGR baby because last time it was due to my placenta not working properly, so that shouldn't be problem.

Has anyone torn badly the first time & it not been so bad second time around? & is anyone else considering giving birth at home?

if all is well with my pregnancy i will be having a home birth i hate hospital and i want to get into my own bed afterwards

Just remember that it is your right to have a homebirth, I planned one but the sprog got stuck and I had to transfer for a c-section. I know of a few people who tore first time and didn't subsequent times. Remember, every birth is different.

I had a second degree tear with my first, but didn't tear at all with my second, and third.

I am planning a homebirth, and I can not wait. Going to the hospital does not seem natural to me at all. I also think if you have the right support and prep for your pernium, you won't tear or tear as badly as you did the first time. My MW has a very low tear rate and an extremely low episiotomy rate because of the way she supports that area.

Thanks for the info.

I just found this on a website & it's making me want a home birth even more..

"According to the Department Of Health tables, the maternity unit with worst infection rate is at Blackpool Victoria Hospital - where 55 women in every 1,000 giving birth get an infection."

That's where I had Jenny & where I would be having this baby :shock:

My friend had all 3 of her kids at home in a birthing pool. I wanted a home birth with this one, but my midwives are really not that supportive, so i don't no what i'll decide.

Zanny go watch the Business of Being Born, it is a great documentary that Rikki Lake has put out. If you have netflix, you can watch it online. It has some really great homebirth stories. I also recommend Ina May Gaskin's book Guide to Childbirth. The first half of the book is all home birth stories, and they are awesome. There is also another forum on mothering.com that has a whole section dedicated to homebirth.

I am planning a homebirth and I was soooo excited when I found a midwife to service the area I live in. Thanks for the resources Samantha! I haven't really found much of the information I've been looking for online.

when i was pregnant i was actually discouraged from having a home birth when i first met my midwife because there is a midwife shortage! just stick to your guns and if things go tits up the hospital is only a car ride away.

when i was pregnant i was actually discouraged from having a home birth when i first met my midwife because there is a midwife shortage! just stick to your guns and if things go tits up the hospital is only a car ride away.

Thats what my midwife was talking about the midwife shortage, she said just plan for a hospital birth, then if you feel you can't make it in time , phone an ambulance, and they can deliver it. Not exactly what i had in mind!! I'm terrified of not making it in time. With my youngest i was only in the labour suite 7 mins before i delivered. This ones gonna be born in a taxi, i'm sure of it!!

if i were you id hire a private midwife if your in a position to do so.

Really not in a position to do so.
I would just love to be at home with my kids there as soon as babies out. Childbirth is such a natural thing to do. Maybe i'll deliver it myself!! Sod the midwfe. I'm sure i could do it, DH would have a heart attack!!

Masi, if I were you I would write a letter to the supervisor of midwives stating your intention to have a homebirth and that you expect to be attended by a midwife. You have a right to the birth experience that you want. check out www.homebirth.org.uk it's got loads of good advice.

My son came very quick and I'm scared this one will to. I'm going to opt for a hopsital birth to be 100% safe. I'd never forgive myself if something went wrong and my baby was hurt by it because she had to wait for treatment.

Personal choice and opinion :)

i am having a home birth to but if your midwife gives u shit get in touch with aims there brill u will need to also contact your head of midwifes and tell them your having a home birth and if they have a go remember this is your baby and ur body and u do what u feel u need to do u dont even have to see a consultant
there are phone numbers on the aims web site and im sure u can have ur mind put at ease with them good luck hun :hug:

I'm also thinking this LO might come out quite quickly.. I was induced last time, but once my waters were broken I went from 4cm to 10cm in just under 2 hours (& that was at 37 weeks so baby wasn't even ready to come out yet), so I think maybe if things had started naturally I wouldn't have laboured for very long at all.

The more I think about a home birth, the more I want one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->