Thinking about getting an IUD

Warby

Mom of four monkey-moos
Reaction score
I am 39 and I am currently on the minipill (breastfeeding), and my husband uses condoms as well.

I'd like to get off the pill. Discounting pregnancy and our short TTC intervals, I have been on it nearly 20 years. I am having a really hard time losing weight and I think it is partly do to my hormones being out of whack.

Can anyone tell me their experiences with an IUD?

I've only been on Mirena for about 5 weeks. I am 26, have one baby, 5 months old. Insertion was a breeze for me so I thought I'd be one of the lucky ones wihtout complications. I spotted a few days, had about 10 days of heavy bleeding followed by 2 days of spotting. Since I hit the week 1 mark I've been crazy depressed. My sweet baby is even hard for me to smile at. IUD's and all hormonal bc's affect every woman differently but for me it's hell. I'm getting it removed on Sept 10. I can't take the depression!

I have had the copper IUD three times. I chose the copper because I wanted a non-hormonal form of bc and I had a tried all other methods. My second child was born while using a diaphragm and a condom. I guess I didn’t put it in correctly, and the condom broke. OH well.

The IUD has been amazing and easy. I only noticed that it was there the first week after it. There is more cramping involved because I chose the copper version. I was able to stop using condoms, and enjoy regular sex.

I had it taken out once because I thought it was giving me heavy cramps, but I later found out it was not due to the IUD and had it put back in. Then I had it taken out when I wanted to get pregnant again. Got pregnant in 1 week. Had two more babies naturally, and put it back in.

I had them taken out and put back in 3 times in 10 years. It is a pain and discouraged, but it was the perfect solution for me.

I have Mirena, and have had it for close to three years now. Unless you have a history of hormonal issues or hormonal sensitivity, then you shouldn't have ANY issues with it. I haven't gained weight, I don't even get a period anymore (still cycle and ovulate, I can feel when I'm PMSing lol), I don't have any hormonal imbalances so it's been good. I don't use it for birth control (obviously), but I love it!

It's different for everyone. Some people love it, and some people hate it. The only way to know which one you'll be is if you get one inserted, because everybody's body reacts differently. Don't let the bad stories scare you off. I'm three years in with literally zero issues.

Thanks everyone.

Eidson23, can I ask why you have one if not for birth control? I'm not aware of other benefits to it.

Thanks everyone.

Eidson23, can I ask why you have one if not for birth control? I'm not aware of other benefits to it.

I got it about 9 months prior to going into the military. I was NOT going to get my period while I was in basic training. And I didn't. I spot occasionally as a "period" but other than that, I don't get painful cramps, profuse bleeding, anything of the sorts. Now I keep it in because it lasts 5 years, my body is totally used to it, and I kinda really love not waking up the morning of my period wanting to die ;)

Like mentioned - it can very SO much... my personal experience with the fitting was awful. I don't want to scare you though- so I won't go into details. But I'm not at all the norm- I'm far from it. NONE of my friends had bad experiences. Some said it was a bit painful- some said like a little pinch... for me, it was bad. But I also had a section with my LO- and my cervix had never dialated before. So that factored...

Since the fitting and cramping stopped- it's been fine. I'm almost 6wks- so very new still. I have my follow up this Friday just to verify it's still fitted properly. But it's been fine. I wouldn't never know it was there- if I didn't know. lol. I did have an actual period last cycle- but no cramping... but I'm used to NO period being that I've been on a very low does pill since LO was born and not had one. So I'm hopeful in the next 6mos my body re-adjusts and I go back to no periods. If not, I'll survive. ;)

Best of luck whatever you decide. It's hard to know how it may work for you- I was certainly nervous, and only went through it becuase I kept forgetting my pill (otherwise I loved that pill!)- so it was really about me, not my BC. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->