Thinking about starting to use cloth nappies

DueMarch2nd

mummy to a little lamb
Reaction score
I noticed on the little lambs site they have a starter pack.https://www.littlelamb.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/TTAK Is it a good idea? I am so clueless as to where to start. I dont know what the difference in what all the things are?? :shrug: So what are all the things for? Can someone walk me through it? Like what exactly you do at a cloth nappy change and how do you wash them?

It is my cluelessness that has stopped me doing cloth nappies but if i can get my head round it i may want to start. It just seems like something I would do as I co sleep and breastfeed and babywear and plan to BLW and all the natural parenting things. It all just happened, i never planned to be such a natural mummy. lol So it seems natural i would do cloth nappies so i would like some info to maybe decide if it is for me or not.

THANKS!!

ETA: Do they help to stop leaks? My LO is a bit um.... well lets just say he is hard to contain in his nappies so i have had to go up a size so they are to big on him to solve the problem. They virtually go up to his nipples lol But I was thinking cloth nappies would surely contain leaks better??

I noticed on the little lambs site they have a starter pack.https://www.littlelamb.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/TTAK Is it a good idea?
That kit is okay, not too expensive for a trial kit. It's important to try one of a few nappies to figure out whats best for you. Personally i never liked little lambs, they are too chunky and i don;t like the way they get wet all over. Mother and Baby magazine have had vouchers in just recently for a free nappy, someone will usually post in here when the offer is on again.

I am so clueless as to where to start. I dont know what the difference in what all the things are?? :shrug:

There are sooo many threads on here with the same kind of statement, have a read through and you'll figure it out. Littlestar has written some good articles too, you can find the links in her siggy.

So what are all the things for? Can someone walk me through it? Like what exactly you do at a cloth nappy change and how do you wash them?

It very much depends what kind of nappy you go for. The little lambs for example are a 2 part set, basically a nappy and then a seperate waterproof wrap. They tend to come with a little booster that lies on top of the nappy too, next to bubbas skin just to give extra absorbancy. Personally I prefer pocket nappies or all in twos. They are usually slimmer than 2 part systems and as they can be taken apart they tend to dry quicker which is a must for us as we don't have a tumble dryer. Pocket nappies consist of a waterproof shell with a flap at the back (usually) that you stuff your inserts in. Most nappies come with inserts unless it says specifically in the item description. If buying preloved they don't alwasy so good to ask.

When i change nappies i just seperate them and put in a bucket unless they are poopy, i shake this off into the toilet and then use the shower to hose off anything remaining. When it comes to wash day just a simple 40 degree wash with 1/4 scoop or non bio, no softener.

It is my cluelessness that has stopped me doing cloth nappies but if i can get my head round it i may want to start. It just seems like something I would do as I co sleep and breastfeed and babywear and plan to BLW and all the natural parenting things. It all just happened, i never planned to be such a natural mummy. lol So it seems natural i would do cloth nappies so i would like some info to maybe decide if it is for me or not.

I think this was the ame for the majority of mommies in here!

THANKS!!

ETA: Do they help to stop leaks? My LO is a bit um.... well lets just say he is hard to contain in his nappies so i have had to go up a size so they are to big on him to solve the problem. They virtually go up to his nipples lol But I was thinking cloth nappies would surely contain leaks better??

This can be trail and error to find the right nappy for you. You can also use fleece liners which will soak up the liquid.

IMO they are much less leaky and smelly than disposables, as long as you get the right nappies, but as PP said, try some out before you buy them. I personally don't like the wide velcro on little lambs as it seems to make it hard for my LO to bend, but that's personal.

yeh you are deffo better off getting a few different types rather than all one type, look on the classified thread and get a few kinds :D

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->