Thinking about taking a break. Need advice.

babyplease22

Reaction score
Hi ladies, my DH and I have been thinking about taking a break this month due to the fact I if I got a bfp I would be due around 4th of January and we're worried about bub coming early and having to deal with a Christmas birthday for the rest of their lives. Also we have family coming to stay this Christmas/New Years so it seems like a really inconvenient time to be having my first with all those people around.

I'm just still not sure. I want this so bad. I keep thinking a christmas baby is better than no baby... And if I do take a break and then go back to it in May and still don't fall I also need to take a break June/July so I'm not ready to pop or in labour during my best friend's wedding. I am so conflicted. I know what the right thing to do is but I'm not sure I can deal with taking breaks now I've started.

Does anyone have any advice if I do decided to take a break on how to keep busy or just how to deal in general. Or maybe someone wants to give me some input on my situation, what they would do in my shoes etc. DH says it's up to me. Please help me make up my mind.

Hey!

I am a christmas baby and I have had no issue with it. My mum just made sure there was a clear line between birthday and christmas celebrations. In some way I loved it as as I got older and started to get money, I would be able to buy bigger things as I would have both birthday and xmas cash. Yes part of me would love to be able to have a summer birthday so I could of had outdoor parties as a kid, but that would be the same for someone in Oct, Nov, Jan and Feb too. But as for the kid having to live with it I wouldn't worry! I notice you are in AU anyway so that doesn't matter in your case.

With regard to practicalities. Yes it could be difficult, but you still have time to rearrange stuff if it was to happen? Would family not understand you having to replan?

I am not religious, but do kind of have a bit of belief in everything happening for a reason, so if you are not meant to have an Xmas baby then maybe you try but are not lucky?

That being said, I am probably biased as a December baby!

Hey!

I am a christmas baby and I have had no issue with it. My mum just made sure there was a clear line between birthday and christmas celebrations. In some way I loved it as as I got older and started to get money, I would be able to buy bigger things as I would have both birthday and xmas cash. Yes part of me would love to be able to have a summer birthday so I could of had outdoor parties as a kid, but that would be the same for someone in Oct, Nov, Jan and Feb too. But as for the kid having to live with it I wouldn't worry! I notice you are in AU anyway so that doesn't matter in your case.

With regard to practicalities. Yes it could be difficult, but you still have time to rearrange stuff if it was to happen? Would family not understand you having to replan?

I am not religious, but do kind of have a bit of belief in everything happening for a reason, so if you are not meant to have an Xmas baby then maybe you try but are not lucky?

That being said, I am probably biased as a December baby!

Hi, thank you so much for this reply! I love that you have outlines some positive things about being a christmas baby from your experiences. It actually makes me feel a little better!

If we did try and conceive this month I think we would make some sort of arrangement like the actual birthday is at Christmas but you can celebrate/have a birthday party whenever you want so your friends can come etc. I just worry that people wouldn't take it seriously because it wasn't their actual birthday.

Actually my family would be thrilled if I had a baby while they were staying in town haha. I only get to see them once every 5 years or so, so they would be ecstatic to get to meet the LO before the go. When it comes to the family thing it's more about my nervousness of learning to be a parent. I've read horror stories of poor first time Mum's trying to learn to breastfeed and relatives coming over to visit and not leaving for hours but the woman is so tired she just wants to sleep and she can't because she's entertaining. It's kind of scared me. I feel like in this wonderful time all I'm going to want to do is bond with my new baby and I won't want to leave the house to go to Christmas dinner or have people over for a swim in the pool haha. So those thoughts put me off. But I'm getting ahead of myself! I am just preparing for the scenario where I go in to labour early and I'm not even sure I'm trying this month. :laugh2:

Thanks again for your answer, I also believe everything happens for a reason despite not being religious and I have a feeling even if we did try I would not get my bfp this month. However Murphy's law has been a huge presence in my life and I am worried that if I try when I am not 100% sure I want that bfp then I will get said bfp.

Hi!

Glad my response was a bit helpful!

I totally get your hesitation and think you need to go with what your gut says. They are all legitimate reasons to hold off for a month if that is what you feel is best. That being said, I do not think you will be unhappy if by sod's law you conceive in the not so ideal month- I still think you will be happy to get your BFP.

I totally get your worry about having people around though and feeling under pressure. I think if you decide to go ahead and you get your BFP then you would maybe need to put in some house rules well ahead of time. E.g. tell family that XX hours you need your space etc. I am sure they will understand.

I hope you figure out something that you feel comfortable with and that you get your BFP soon!

I am also a near Christmas baby (12/21) and it was a bit hard growing up, but it sure has made me think about what I would do if it happens. First, you are already aware that it might be an issue so you can compensate for it. Second, I know lots of Christmas kids who have parties in June (half birthday) to celebrate and that seems to work really well than trying to have a party near Christmas time.

We have to take a month off in June which is a bummer, but I am hoping it helps me not be so stressed out and reinvigorates us for July.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

My DH really wants to take a break this month because if we succeed our due date would be christmas eve. I just can't think of taking a month of though. I spoke to a work colleague who has a christmas day birthday and she told me it never bothered her because her parents and later her family always made an effort to make her birthday about her too.

I totally get what you're saying about the newborn stage and having people staying with you. I think sometimes new grandparents can forget a bit what having their first was like and try to give you all the advice they learned over time. If you go for it and it does happen then definitely get your OH on board to sheild you from them. You might appreciate having your mum around though. There are lots of people who plan it that way.

In the end though my reasoning is what if this would have been our month and we don't try. You just have to figure out what the winning argument is for you. Hearing other experiences and opinions will help but in the end it comes down to you.

Also, with a first baby it's entirely possible you could go over and have a mid january baby.

we were going to stop trying this month but we've decided that we'd be overjoyed to be pregnant no matter what time of year the baby would be born. We have a 2 year old so i'd be hoping that they wouldn't be born christmas day because of her but apart fro that i'm not longing for a christmas baby! Good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->