Thinking of doing IUI with donor sperm... Advice

veunica

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing IUI with donor sperm has anyone had any success doing it and can you share your experience with me plz and how much if you don't mind thank u :)

I'm sure this is done all the time and would be very successful. I know about the IUI part but I don't know anything about getting the sperm.

I'm sure this is done all the time and would be very successful. I know about the IUI part but I don't know anything about getting the sperm.

o ok did u do it or someone you know

We used donor sperm because hubby has azoospermia secondary to undescended testicles. We got our sperm from Xytex and they were extremely professional. We bought 4 vials initially and after 5 cycles, 3 actually getting to insemination stage (2 abandoned) we conceived and now have a healthy, beautiful 1 year old. Our choice of donor was fab with Xytex - even though we are in the UK we chose to import sperm and couldn't be happier with the match of donor. Unfortunately we should have bought more vials originally as our donor didn't ever donate again so we have 2 vials (they had one left) if we choose to have a sibling for DD1. Have been advised IVF will give us a better chance of a sibling with the vials we have (its important for me that DD1 has a biologically 100% match).

My advice - take your time choosing a donor and think about the size of family you want prior to the initial IUI.

I'm hoping to have my first and hopefully last IUI using donor sperm in a couple of weeks. So as for now I can't share any personal experience about the IUI process. I have purchased the sperm, though. I recommend looking in the solo mum's thread and the Did you have a successful IUI thread - both under Assisted Conception.

We used donor sperm because hubby has azoospermia secondary to undescended testicles. We got our sperm from Xytex and they were extremely professional. We bought 4 vials initially and after 5 cycles, 3 actually getting to insemination stage (2 abandoned) we conceived and now have a healthy, beautiful 1 year old. Our choice of donor was fab with Xytex - even though we are in the UK we chose to import sperm and couldn't be happier with the match of donor. Unfortunately we should have bought more vials originally as our donor didn't ever donate again so we have 2 vials (they had one left) if we choose to have a sibling for DD1. Have been advised IVF will give us a better chance of a sibling with the vials we have (its important for me that DD1 has a biologically 100% match).

My advice - take your time choosing a donor and think about the size of family you want prior to the initial IUI.

Did you guys order it yourself or the clinic did it once you found the donor?

I'm hoping to have my first and hopefully last IUI using donor sperm in a couple of weeks. So as for now I can't share any personal experience about the IUI process. I have purchased the sperm, though. I recommend looking in the solo mum's thread and the Did you have a successful IUI thread - both under Assisted Conception.

how did you choose the donor? and where did you purchase it if you don't mind me asking

I don't mind questions at all. I bought three vials from California Cryobank. They were 1 of 3 sperm banks on my list of possible banks to use but after meeting with my RE, California Cryobank was the only one of my list he worked with. Also because I live in LA, I can pick up the sperm instead of needing to have it shipped.

How I picked my donor?
I put together a selection committee made up of my friends. :haha: The committee was made up of a pediatrician, a social worker, a scientist, and a public health administrator. And they're all wonderfully fun, funny, and incredibly supportive of me. I'm going to be a single mother by choice.

I chose my donor by starting out with the basics: race, hair color, minimum height, etc. Then I looked at medical histories, read bios, and looked at baby pictures (for an additional fee you have access to baby photos). I came up with a potential list of 12 - 15 and then gave my list to my committee. They in turn narrowed it down to about 5 or 6, ranked them, and then of course I had the final say and I went with my gut. I know this sounds crazy but it was so much fun. It made a "strange" situation less strange.

This was probably more than you wanted to know but if you have any more questions please don't be afraid to ask. :flower:

I don't mind questions at all. I bought three vials from California Cryobank. They were 1 of 3 sperm banks on my list of possible banks to use but after meeting with my RE, California Cryobank was the only one of my list he worked with. Also because I live in LA, I can pick up the sperm instead of needing to have it shipped.

How I picked my donor?
I put together a selection committee made up of my friends. :haha: The committee was made up of a pediatrician, a social worker, a scientist, and a public health administrator. And they're all wonderfully fun, funny, and incredibly supportive of me. I'm going to be a single mother by choice.

I chose my donor by starting out with the basics: race, hair color, minimum height, etc. Then I looked at medical histories, read bios, and looked at baby pictures (for an additional fee you have access to baby photos). I came up with a potential list of 12 - 15 and then gave my list to my committee. They in turn narrowed it down to about 5 or 6, ranked them, and then of course I had the final say and I went with my gut. I know this sounds crazy but it was so much fun. It made a "strange" situation less strange.

This was probably more than you wanted to know but if you have any more questions please don't be afraid to ask. :flower:

Lol no it wasn't to much I like it because im liking you sharing.... I to am going to be a single mom once i am finish with my research... I think its good to include your friends...

:wave:

Hi! I haven't conceived yet, but I'm working on IUI's with donor sperm.

At first I had a known donor, but he ended up moving away.

Now we're using the Sperm Bank of California. I just completed the registration process there, and am waiting on my next cycle to start so we can try!

I'm doing femara cycle days 5-9, a trigger shot to make the egg drop around day 13, and an insemination around day 14-15. (Come onnnnnnnnn new cycle!)

It can be overwhelming at first, but eventually you start to feel like you know what you're doing!

As far as choosing a donor, we chose a "known donor" meaning the child can choose to try and contact the donor when the child turns 18 if they choose. Then we looked for matches in personality and looks. I wanted to feel like I could be that persons friend if we just met off the street. After that I narrowed that down I bought their baby pictures and decided based on looks.

Choosing a donor is fun, honestly! Choosing which bank you're going to use, THAT's hard. I chose the sperm bank of California based on their history, cost, and low family allowance.

I am happy to report that I'm gearing up for TTC #2 with donor iui! We were very blessed and fortunate to have our second round with femara and trigger shot work and me with only one good tube. My husband and I went that route because he didn't have any of his own to donate to the process so a friend and I picked apart a list of donors from Midwest Sperm Bank that had similar physical traits as my husband. Your best tool will be knowledge. Go in armed and dangerous :) and you'll waste less time and money. I recommend doing some diligence on cycle charting so you find out if there is anything else you'll need to tweak or work on before you spend the time and money. That's my best advice and good luck!

I too am in the process of going this route, and to be a Single mom by choice (SMC). I have been researching all of the sperm banks and trying to narrow it down. I have found several I really liked on CBB (California Cryobank), they are the most expensive but they have a lot of info to offer on the donor. I haven't decided which bank to go with yet, it's pretty overwhelming how many there are to choose from. I agree, this process is pretty fun ! I feel like I'm searching online for dates again ! haha. :happydance:

I'm having a hard time deciding how many vials to buy, either 2 or 3. I haven't decided if I want more than 1 kid yet, and it would be nice to have the same DS for my 2nd but I'm just not sure yet. I would really love a girl and if I have a boy first I have to try again for a girl !

Hi dodgegirl! In the US, I've found that the Sperm Bank of California is the most cost effective with the most options. And it's a sperm bank owned and operated by women, mostly serving single moms and lesbians. It's a really cool concept.

I'm also trying to decide how many vials to buy. . . they recommend picking two favorite donors in the event that they're sold out when you try and buy. My favorite donor has more released tomorrow, and I think i'm going to buy two vials... but then whatever donor I get pregnant off of buying a couple more of those for the next pregnancy.

So excited! ! I got the ok from my OBGYN today to go ahead with the insemination !!! I'm hoping to pick and buy vials within the next few weeks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->