Thinking of going natural this time

victoria1987

Reaction score
So with my son who was born Oct 2014 I was under the care of some great mws and had a very low intervention pg. I declined most of the routine prenatal testing and plan to do so this time. Thinking I will probably do one hcg Quant (they like to have blood confirmation of of pg), a baseline iron check as I've had low iron in the past and a 20 weeks us.

My birth with my son though I ended up having an epi at 8cm because I was terrified. I actually stayed home until 7cm (not on purpose, didn't think I that far along) and used g&a until I got the epidural. I found the gas to be awesome for me and really think I could have done it with just that. My mws really encouraged me to just do it with the gas as I was coping wonderfully as I said I was so scared. First baby and all.

The epi was ok but I had to have it done twice, my iv slipped and filled my hand with fluid so badly that I couldn't move it for a week afterward, my back was sore for months after the epi and they gave me so much iv fluids that I ballooned up like crazy. It didn't really seem worth the hassle seeing I was at 8cm a and coping when I got it.

My only fear this time though is that with my son he was back to back and had his head tilted so I pushed for 2.5 hours, he was manually turned and I had a second (almost third) degree tear! I have no doubt I could deal with labour with just gas since I did most of my son's back to back labor without the epi no problem, its the pushing I'm scared of. I don't know how I would have coped through my son's delivery with nothing, what if this one is just as bad?! Also once I get to that stage there is no going back so if I choose to forgo the epi and pushing is horrible again I'm stuck!

Don't know what to do here, advice or encouragement needed!

I'd say go in with the intention of having no medication but don't beat yourself up if you need it.
I mNage ok on just gas and air, you'd done fab getting to 8cm with nothing! Here they'd probably refuse to give an epidural thT far on.
Research positions that are good for pushing (eg all 4s) - all births are different, this one may be teally quick at being delivered x

I'm interested in this thread too.
My dd was positioned back to back and contractions were long and close together right from 2 cm. I did 7 hours of these back to back contractions and only got to 4 cms. I had no break between contractions and the midwife suggested an epi. it was the best thing ever. I was pushing for 2 hours and dd turned in the birth canal. Even with the epi numbing my contractions the pain and pressure was immense.

So I'm in the same boat really. Just wanted to share.

I have a different midwife this time and she said at my last visit...'oh you won't need an epidural this time'. I am worried how I will cope with the pain. I had gas and air last time but it didn't make a difference. I sometimes feel if I had had a shorter labour I could have coped with the pain as I coped with the strong painful contractions with no break in between for 7 hours. (When I got to hospital the midwife thought I was in transition due to the contractions but I was only 2.5cms).

I'm not sure how i will cope without an epi if I have another back to back labour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->