This is so hard. Not sure if I can do it.

Reaction score
Once again I am feeling defeated and quitting is crossing my mind. It is so much work and I don't see things getting better. It's getting worse if anything. I am pumping every 3 hours after he eats. I am drinking mothers milk tea and non alcoholic beer. I have tried fenugreek and a prescription. I barely can pump anything, at most a half an ounce. He used to nurse 10-15 minutes but now he barely will nurse for 5 min, and that is him popping on and off constantly. He now feels like he barely is sucking. He is 17 weeks and it has been a struggle the whole 17 weeks.

I am crying thinking about quitting. I just want to experience breast feeding my son with no issues. It is so hard with the pumping all the time and so disheartening not to pump anything or have him barely nurse.

I am going out of town for 10 days and I just don't see how it's going to be possible to pump when I need to. The drive alone is 8 hours and I'm going to be going between friends and families homes. If I just bottle feed and try to nurse him while I'm gone is it even gonna be worth it to try and start pumping when I get back? Is it just time to quit bf and just bottle feed?

I'm so emotional over it. I'm so upset that our nursing experience has been the way it has. I just don't know what to do.

Is he gaining weight as he should? If so then don't stress as long as he is getting what he needs your job is done out body seems to know how much your lo needs and produces it to a T ! I have a low supply but enough to keep my lo putting on weight really well although to so this she feeds every 2 hours at night and snack feeds during he day it's frustrating but I see that my job is done as long as she is putting on weight well . Stress is a breast milk killer I'm afraid. Good luck I know how hitting it is not to be able to pump anything x

I unfortunately have had to supplement him with formula since 4 days old. Which has attributed to the situation we are in. He has never really been satisfied with my breast milk alone :( he is gaining weight perfectly and weighs almost 16 lbs at 17 weeks but that is all because of the formula.

Pumping is incredibly difficult. I find it extremely hard to relax enough to get the milk to flow. I find if I can distract my brain usually I can get a few oz. I've found the best distractors to be Pinterest and watching TV. It also helps when I'm alone and it's quiet, If I can hear screaming or crying children that just makes it worse.

Bfing can be hard, ultimately you know what is best for you and your baby with the situation you are in. Good luck with everything, you are doing amazing!

I HATE pumping. I have found it useless to pump from the right side; I get just enough out to make the pump parts dirty and not enough to bother saving lol. When i NEED to pump, typically I will feed the baby off my right side all night and when I wake up in the morning the left side will be very engorged (and sore unfortunately) and then I will pump that side. I can typically get about 3oz out and still feel slightly full so I will let the baby finish off that side. This has been the only way I have been able to establish a freezer supply since I go back to work on Monday. I also bought a smaller shield for my pump since it came with medium and I use small. Easier said than done but try and not get frustrated :hugs:

I feel your pain...my son is 19 weeks and is constantly popping on and off. He has really short nursing sessions and has since he was around 10 weeks, his doctor told me that he is just efficient at nursing, and he has been gaining weight perfectly so, my point is that though frustrating it sounds like you are doing a great job, and maybe he is an efficient nurser. Breastfeeding is so difficult, and draining, but everything you're doing sounds great, and you shouldnt be so hard on yourself. :) Stress can definitely mess with your supply and being able to pump, so maybe just give yourself a break if you can and things will start flowing again soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->