This may seem like a silly question... but 1st time mum here!!

Lou-Amie

Reaction score
I was wondering... I am packing my little ones bag for the hospital.. I have bought some carton milk for the first couple of days as im hoping this will be easier in the hospital. Obviously I will need a bottle to put the milk in to feed her.. and I have bought myself some small bottles with teats etc but do you have to sterilise them before they are used and if so.. I still have 6 weeks left yet will they still be sterile by the time I go into labour?? As the steraliser I have says keeps sterile for 24 hours. I also have a couple of new born dummies I was going to take in with me.. do these need sterilising also??? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but its all new to me...!!! :flower:

Hey Hun, I would defo sterilize bottles and dummies before giving them to your LO.

As for when to do it, I'm not sure.... I would guess as close to your due date as possible but I guess it's hard to know when labour will commence? I would imagine your hospital would have sterilizing facilities you could use?

Sorry can't be much help, I am planning to breast-feeds have not thought about bottles etc. Hopefully some other ladies can help! x

Just check with your hospital, they should supply the bottles for you whilst been in hospital but you are more likely expected to take the milk. I wouldnt worry about the dummies because it is very unlikely your LO will need a dummy so soon after been born. So i would leave the dummies at home and sterlise them at home when your LO is ready for one. Usually when they are very newborn, they will only be crying when there is something the matter with them, such as hungry, nappy full, tired. xx

hey hun, not a dumb question at all, i breastfed my 2 but they had sterilizing equipment there for parents to use-i would advise having a hospital tour and then you can ask them too, also, when my LO was rushed to hospital, he wasn't allowed to feed so i ahd to express and they had bottles there to feed him that were packed individually and sterile. hope that helps x

Most hospitals provide ready made milk in sterile glass bottles whilst your there and have all the known brands. They are either in the feeding room of your hospital has one or you just ask the midwife for some. Worth checking before hand

Hey hun

I know that our hospital provides the ready made formula for you so you don't need to take bottles or anything with you - maybe just ask your midwife, I'm sure she will know what your hospital does as I think they all differ slightly. I'm planning on bottle feeding and this is my list for my hospital bag if it helps (Paul is my hubby by the way!) xx

Nighties
Pants
Maternity pads
Moisturiser
Toiletries/ shampoo/toothbrush etc
Breast pads
Socks
Slippers
Dressing gown
Going home clothes
Battery fan
Maternity notes
Water/cooling spray
Anti bacterial hand gel
Ear plugs
Towel
Plastic bags for clothes
Hairbands/brush
Camera/spare battery
Loose change
Mobile phone
Lip balm
Sweets/snacks/drinks

Nappies
Sleep suits
Going home outfit
Cotton wool
Blanket/swaddle cloth
Bibs
Wet wipes
Socks
Scratch mits
Cotton hat
Travel changing mat
Dummies

Paul...
Spare t shirt
Pants/socks
I pod
Shorts
Loose change
Mobile
List of phone numbers in case
Sweets/snacks/drinks

my hospital supplies lil glass bottles with formula already for baby to drink ( are so handy )

our hospital doesnt provide bottles or formula , i am bf but my friend at same hospital is FF she has bought some ready sterilised bottles to take in with her

somethng along these lines :

https://www.boots.com/en/Tommee-Tippee-sterilised-bottle-medium-flow-five-pack_862526/

if it was me id chuck a pack of them in , if you end up staying in longer get oh to make up the bottles at home and bring them to you.

but before you spend any money id phone the hospital and check if they provide it forst and ask them if they can suggest wha you bring.

When I had my first I planned on trying to breastfeed,when I couldnt they gave him a ready made bottle that they had there. I have heard that now most hospitals dont do this. I had my first in 2007. I am planning on trying to breastfeed again but if I cannot do it again I have got formula,bottles,steriliser at home just in case. I am planning on giving baby cow and gate if he has formula. When we went shopping for milk (in ASDA) they had a box of 12 ready made bottles of milk,they are the small glass bottles ready to use,I havent read what it says on the box but I am fairly sure they are sterilsed and plastic sealed so you can open the plastic wrapper and feed straightaway. The bottle my first had in hospital was sealed like this when they gave it to me so thats why we got some of those. So,I would say,in my opinion get some of those ones instead of carton milk and then you have to sterilise the bottle,as you dont know for defo when baby will come,you dont want to be faffing around sterilising a bottle and making up milk while in labour

My hospital gave me glass bottle milk back then with my first.. then with my last two i breastfed just while i was in hospital for the night as soon as i got home i bottle fed cause i couldnt do it.. u shouldnt need to take in ur own bottles n stuff x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->