Those who pump for occasional bottle giving

smawfl

Mamma of 2!
Reaction score
I've started expressing to try DS with a bottle. So far I've been expressing and DH gives the bottle every other day.

I'm not going back to work and so I'm purely doing this to make sure DS will take a bottle if i very occasionally need to be away from him for a few hours.

Just wondered if you are in a similar situation, how often do you pump/give a bottle?

I started pumping for DS because he takes a vitamin mixed with his milk once daily. I pump once in the evening enough for one feed the next day which DH gives. Anything extra gets frozen. I pump about 100 ml combined right now and he drinks about 80 ml or so for a feed. If you're not feeding him directly from the breast you should pump during that feed time to prevent any potential decrease in your supply.

I started pumping once a day when my DD was about 2 weeks old and started her on the bottle at 4 weeks. That was a perfect time to get started for us. What I would say is KEEP IT UP! We slacked off a bit as I was trying to save up milk for Christmas and shortly after Christmas (thank god!) she started refusing it. We still have trouble with it now.. I think it was a combination of not keeping up with giving it her on a regular basis and her just becoming a bit more aware around that age (2.5 months) and just deciding she liked breast better! But either way I'd keep it regular if you can.

The best time to pump is in the morning cos that's when your hormone levels are high. I pump an hour after her first feed. I didn't get much at first but it builds up once your body gets used to the extra feed. I get anywhere between 3 and 6 oz per session now :thumbup:

I just started pumping for occasional bottles last week. I'm doing a bottle every other day or so, but not really rigidly. If it makes more sense with our schedules to skip a day or add a day, I will. I try to pump within an hour or so of every bottle, or in the morning if he sleeps for a long stretch and I wake up engorged - he eats on one side, then I pump on the other. So far it's working well.

I try and do at least one per day, morning seems to be the best time. I give LO one breast and once she settles after a feed I can pump the other. I'm freezing them so DH can do at least a daily feed when he's home (works away and is home one week and away for three).

Right now we just got back from the mall. LO has been in her car seat sleeping for a few hours now so I'll be able to pump again once she's fed. One less night feed for me when DH is home!

I pump once a day give or take. DD2 gets a couple of bottles a week simply because I want her to be versatile when it comes to feeding. DD1 never took a bottle and it was an incredibly stressful journey not being able to ever catch a break.

Just a quick note to anyone wanting their OH to give expressed milk as a night feed...you pretty much have to pump whenever your baby is feeding from a bottle I'm afraid! I'm sure the occasional time won't matter but if you miss out on feeds regularly your supply will dip... and you'll be full and sore!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->