those with babies under two weeks

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
How are you getting on? What's their feeding like? How are you feeling? what challenges have you faced?

My LO is just over a week now and I am just so chuffed that we are still breast feeding. I have fab support from OH to do it but everyone else keeps looking surprised that I am still doing it.

Generally the bf is going really well. Nipples are surviving and generally our latch is good. Although she appears not to like the left boob as much and it can be a battle to get her to feed that side.

I do constantly worry about feeding her too much, when to swap boobs, the fact she has wind but won't burp - the list goes on. Not fed in public yet - the in laws is the most exotic place. I think it is because I've got big boobs so it's hard to feed discreetly.

My biggest challenge is staying awake for the cluster feeds she likes to do for 4 hours at midnight!

How are you getting on?

I'm 1 week today and to be honest dunno where im going from here.

my little man is feeding and latching well, but since stopping top ups 2days ago hasn't gained any weight.

mid wife is back in 2 days and if he still hasn't gained I think im gonna switch to formula, don't think I could cope with bf and then topping up with expressed breast milk, feels like I'm permanently attached to baby as it is lol. I miss playing with my toddler.

but I know it's early days and things can change quite a lot over a short period so we'll see.

sorry this doesn't sound too positive ddoes it?lol xc

Most BF babies lose weight in the first two weeks and they can lose up to 10%, it's normal. Also normal for them to regain that weight in fits and starts, hence why the NHS advises midwives to only weigh at day 5, 10 and possibly day 14, weighing them every couple of days isn't needed and can cause undue alarm. My youngest only lost 5% by day 5 however after that he didn't gain a gram until he was 10 days old, he then gained 1 and a bit oz a day so regained his birthweight by 16 days. My in laws exclusively formula feed and my youngest sister in law took 3 weeks to gain back her birthweight despite being on formula completely, so formula is no guarantee they will gain better xx

Palm tree I'm also missing playing with my toddler. I'm questioning everything. Are her wet nappies wet enough? Why hasn't she poo'd? Why cluster feed for 8hours? Have the ff I've given her to give my nipples a break (bad latch) caused any problems? She never burps after a feed. Bless only 5 days old. We are perservering. Taking it one feed at a time, one day at a time.

oh I know formula is no guarantee to weight gain and that weight loss is to be expected. the weight is only part of my obstacles.

but one feed at a time is how we're taking it at the minute. just can't imagine how im going to manage everything when my husband goes back to work next week lol xx

my wee man seems to have taken a back step with the bf and will feed from me for just 10mins before falling asleep. he then won't feed from the breast so I'm having to express and give it via bottle. the boob must be a little too comforting for him lol x

how are you getting on? I'm still hanging in there, taking one feed at a time. have had to top up with formula a couple times yesterday when mister just wouldn't latch on for a decent feed but was still looking some. I was just too tired and sore to even express. but it's def not the end of the world! think part of my problem is in still very sore from my section and now have an infection so sometimes it all just gets a bit much. but I'm pleased with how its going so far really xxx

Third time lucky and my dd has been diagnosed with posterior tongue tie this morning. Feeding is going ok. Mostly its really painful but I am getting a better latch sometimes. It won't be better until I get her tt snipped. I'm so tired. I have tried to pump for the last 2 nights and got very little. We have supplement with formula at night but she only takes 1-2oz max. I am feeling rubbish about how little time I'm spending with my ds :(

it's early days yet really,hopefully as each day goes on you'll be able to start spending a little more time with your ds, and me with mine. I might start wearing my little one to allow me to spend time with him when hubby goes back to work.

my lo is only taking a couple oz at a time too, as long as they're putting on weight that's the main thing. my next goal is to make 2 weeks breastfeeding,if I get there I'll be happy :) xxx

Today we have reached the one week mark! I've got my moby wrap ready for wearing her too. Considering combi feeding formula in day time once dh goes back to work in 3 weeks and do morning, evening and night bf but we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->