Thoughts on announcement - and what was yours like?

Wishing89

Mama to one beautiful DS
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm currently 7+3. This weekend is Mother's Day when I will be 8 weeks. We haven't told anyone we're expecting yet but I was thinking of telling the in-laws this weekend since we had our first scan yesterday and all is well with our little bean. I was thinking of getting our DS (nearly 2) a tshirt that says something like "I'm going to be a big brother" but I'm worried I'm making a fuss when I'm not even 12 weeks. Is it silly to do that? Or should we just tell them when we visit? I'm really torn because I've had two losses but both before 6 weeks and both before seeing a heartbeat. I'm really excited but I'm a little nervous about a fuss to.

What do you think and how and when did you announce? I love hearing other people's stories :)

i would tell it to my closest family and friends also because you need their support, no matter how the things go. i personally found it way worse to announce a loss alone than a pregnancy and a loss thereafter (had two losses, with the first one i have let my closest friends and family know; the second one i kept a secret thinking i was doing a good thing, just to find myself completely alone and isolated and having to break a news of "i was pregnant" when i absolutely couldn't cope no more. that also made it really hard for some of my closest people to relate to the fact that i was ever pregnant and acknowledge it and also acknowledge the loss. i swore to myself that the next time i do get pregnant, they will know from the very beginning. here i don't mean work colleagues, friends or acquaintances. i only mean closest family and those one-two selected friends who are a family anyway.)

good luck with your pregnancy! i think mother's day is a very sweet way to announce it by the way!

Wishing: I am on the same boat as you! I am 9W3d and will be 10W1D on sunday...

My parents know and my mother in law but my father in law and sister in law dont know yet. I think we might tell them on sunday, but not sure yet..... I have also had two losses and our clsoe family knew about the pregnancy so it was hard to deal with the loss as well... I felt like it affected everyone.
I plan on telling the rest of my friends after week 12... so we are debating whether to let the whole family know for mothers day....

We told everyone right away. I found out at 3+2 and everyone knew by 4 weeks, haha. It's whatever you're comfortable with.

We told close friends and family so far. I want to tell the world, its been a long time coming!

Right now only my dh and my best friend know. I think we're going to start telling people on mother's day. My sister and her family are coming to visit and will get here that day. I will be about 8 weeks then. We're going to tell my parents and the in-laws then too. I had two losses and everyone knew about the first but we didn't tell anyone about the second one. It was hard. I think it's better to tell and enjoy every second of it, no matter how long it lasts.

I'm going to text my mom a picture of my frer and say happy mother's day and merry Christmas all in one! Dh will call his mom and say the same :) I prefer to text (because of the picture :)) but his mom doesn't do that. (All our family lives away, can't do it in person) Haven't figured out how to tell my sister yet.

With DD I waited until 12w to tell everyone - but it was also a timing thing: we were having everyone come for Christmas when I was 12w so I could tell everyone in person. I pretended to take a picture but was videoing and said "E is pregnant!" then captured their reactions. Then I put all the reactions together into a short video - it is SO awesome!

But now with #2 it feels so different. I don't think people will be as shocked/surprised, so I don't know if it's worth making a big fuss. BUT I have pretty much decided that I'm going to tell some people earlier than last time. ESPECIALLY since you saw a healthy heartbeat, I think you are in the clear. The odds of a m/c at 8w are a mere 2.4% - MINISCULE!

If I were you I would tell on mothers day :)

I was a few days shy of 12w on valentines last year so when I did my announcement on FB I put;
Roses are red
Violets are blue
30th of August
Is when our baby is due

:)

We told our families on Easter. My parents did an Easter egg hunt, with the last egg they opened having the announcement. It was amazing :) I was 5 weeks then. Anyone we have told other than family (like close friends or relatives) we have asked not to make it public until we have done so after our appointment. That is on Monday, so we'll see how we feel about doing it then, since I'll only be 8 weeks still.

Thanks ladies. I'm loving these announcements. They're really sweet.

I never told my mum about either of my losses and my in-laws only know about the first one. I still have a few days to think about it but I don't think I'll make a big fuss. I just can't get comfortable with the idea in case something goes wrong and I've made a big deal.

Keep the announcements coming though. I love reading them! :) xx

Go with what you're comfortable with.

I didn't want to tell anyone until 12 weeks but DH wanted to tell his mom so we spilled the beans last weekend when I was 7 weeks :) So now we're waiting to tell everyone else until closer to 12 weeks but our parents and siblings know.

With DS I was 12 weeks on Christmas Day so we didn't tell anyone until then. For both my and DH family we put a baby helium balloon in a cardboard box and wrapped it up in Christmas paper so when it was opened the balloon floated out. The reactions were brilliant. I'm now 5 or 6 weeks pregnant and plan on getting ds to wear a tshirt saying I'm going to be a big brother at his 1st birthday party at the end of June.

We've told close family and friends but they have been asked to keep it quiet until iv told my grandparents. I'm struggling with tiredness quite bad at the minute though which is hard cuz I work late :-(
I'm ready to tell people but im still really nervous because I won't get a scan until approx 12 weeks and that seems like forever away ��

I have only told some friends, DH mother, and my mother so far (oh and my hairdresser lol?). Everyone seems very excited. I am so happy and excited I can't hold it in, I want to tell everyone but we are waiting till at least 8 weeks to tell the rest of the family.

When we told his mom she was shocked at first but then seemed extremely happy about it. When i told my mom, she was really happy and said the baby could not have chosen better parents. I thought that was really sweet of her.

I agreed tell when you're ready!

When I was pregnant with my son we told our families and best friends only until twelve weeks when I posted on fb
"We have a little secret although it's still brand new you'll meet our little secret in October when were due'

I was in 12th grade so as soon as I go to school I got hounded ha! It was cute.

This time I'm scared because really my family isn't too supportive because when we lost our 2nd in feb only 3 people knew and they were all VERY negative! It hurt
So I'm scared to tell with this one at all. But I can't keep a secret. I'm not too sure when we will share our news but I know it's gonna be a while but congrats to you hunny :)!

I told some lady's at church and my boss because I had bleeding and needed prayers and had to make changes at work.

We told my parents last week because they were in town. (We have my mom a Mother's Day/birthday gift of a baby onesie with "Happy Birthday grandma on it).

Saturday (11w5d) we told our boys with a onesie at a photo shoot it was so cool! I can't wait to get the pictures back! My oldest had the sweetest face!

This Saturday we are telling my husbands family. We have a big cookout planned. We have had it set up since we found out. We are telling them by also giving his mom a bday/Mother's Day gift with the happy birthday grandma onesie.

Then Monday I'll be 13w and officially in 2nd tri!!

I say do it when your comfortable.

I have a scan today so I hope I can tell my parents tomorrow - flying out to meet them on holiday. Pretty sure my MIL knows as she was round yesterday and I'd stupidly left my Bounty pack with "Mum to Be" on the sofa... She didn't mention it though!

My parents and sister knew straight away as did my OH's mum and dad. We also told close friends around 8 weeks ish and my mum told all my family around the same time:wacko: OH broke the news to his family at 16 weeks, everyone was there for easter and he just stood up and said "Vic's pregnant, we're having a child" and then sat back down again. No one believed us cause I burst out laughing:haha:

I believe in annoucing when you're ready, I know a girl who announced she was pregnant on Facebook at 4 weeks:wacko: and others who haven't announced till after the 24week mark:flower:

I told my Mom at about 5 weeks, and DH's parents after our first scan, at 7 weeks.
I told a few girls at work and so want to just blab it out to everyone, but I've got to tell my boss first! I'll probably tell her at 12 weeks.
I have no idea when we'll be telling the rest of our family, I think if it was up to DH they wouldn't know until I show, which will probably happen!

Seems like you have your answer...do it whenever you feel comfortable. Telling people or not telling them does not change what will happen with the baby. The first trimester can be so scary. So, you just have to do what feels right.

With my first pregnancy we couldn't keep it a secret. We told close family and friends early. I don't remember exactly how early but I don't think I had even had the first sonogram yet. I was ok with doing that because I wanted the support of my family even if things didn't go as I would have hoped. Then, a bit later on we announced to the remaining people on Valentine's day. I made a powerpoint slide with some photos of my husband and I, plus a sonogram pic of the baby. It said first comes love, then comes marriage, and on (insert due date) comes baby!

This time, I'm highly debating sharing with the grandparents on mother's day. Or at least my mom. She always complains that my husband's parents know everything first so if I tell her then, she would be the first to know. It won't stop her from complaining about everything every chance she gets but it should give me a minute of peace. Anyway, bottom line is I know she would appreciate the surprise, so I'm considering it. Based on my last period, I'd only be 7 weeks then. Chances are though, I'm not even that far along since I have long cycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->