Thoughts on Dahlia?

sil

Reaction score
DH is really loving the name Dahlia. I like it a lot and I think it's pretty and classic but still sort of unique. However, I HATE the nickname Dolly and can't help but think people will end up calling her that. What are your thoughts?

I looove the name Dahlia! It's probably one of my all time favourite girl names.

But I don't think people would nickname her Dolly. The two names don't even sound similar to me... If you need a nickname to go by, I would use Lia, Lee, Dia, Dahli or just D. But you don't really need a nickname! Lots of people don't have nicknames. And the name Dahlia is just so pretty, it's kind of a shame to shorten it :)

I love Dahlia. In my experience with an LO whose name is nickname-able, people don't shorten her name unless we do first. So if you never call her Dolly I don't see most other people doing it either, at least not when she's young. Once she's a bit older she'll be able to decide if there's a nickname she likes and if she doesn't like Dolly either she'll be able to tell people herself that she doesn't want to be called that.

I like the name Dahlia, it's very sweet. I would never think of Dolly as a nickname though :saywhat:

I love it! For a nickname I would think of Lia or D.

I really like it.

Do you pronounce it Day-lia or Dar-lia though? I've only ever seen it written down (as in the Black Dahlia).

I wouldn't think of Dolly as a shortening for this name.

I wouldn't have thought of Dolly as a NN i personally shorten it to Lia xx

I agree with others, Dahlia is a pretty name and have never heard or considered Dolly as a nickname.

How do you pronounce it then? I'm not getting dolly from how I'd say it!

I knew a girl called Dahlia and it was pronounced DAR-LEAH

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->