Thoughts on flying at 28-29 weeks?

SurpriseBub

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Just wondering what you think about taking flights at 28 and 29 weeks pregnant? We are scheduled to fly to the Midwest from Texas and back for thanksgiving. On the days we fly, I would be bang on 28 and 29 weeks pregnant. The flights are about three hours long.

..I was really looking forward to going, but my parents were all worried about it, which has me second guessing my decision. I think it would be depressing to stay home (especially if my OH would go alone), but am a bit worried about something happening on the flight.

What do you think? When and how far were you happy to fly in pregnancy?

Thank you!

*knock on wood* I'm planning on flying across the country at 33 weeks pregnant. I'm seeing my MW the week before to make sure everything looks good, but all of my family lives on the other side of the country and it's my only opportunity to see them before the baby comes. I think 29 weeks should definately be OK assuming you are having a normal pregnancy. Just make sure to get up and walk around several times during the flight.

I flew at 27 and 28 weeks.The flights were about 3 hours long and it was fine, although I was quite uncomfy- I got a headache and my back was sore, so on the way back I made sure to sit on the aisle and take frequent trips to the toilet to stretch my legs.

My best friend flew on a 10 hour flight at 28 weeks pregnant and she was fine.

I flew at 31 weeks at my last pregnancy with no problems and am planning to fly at 32-33 weeks this pregnancy. Dr said as long as there are no signs of preterm labor, just to make sure to get up and walk around every 30 min-1 hour. Make sure to get a letter from your dr saying you're OK to fly, just in case.

I would fly up to 34 weeks, so long as I wasn't high risk.
Xx

I think you should be right but check with your doctor, they might suggest compression stockings, and as a PP said get a letter from your doctor stating that you're ok to fly as different airlines have different policies about flying when pregnant and I'd hate for you to get there to be told they won't let you fly.

Flew at the same stage this pregnancy and my last without any bother. I had a letter with me when I was pregnant with DD but no one even asked about it or how pregnant I was. Didn't bother with a letter this time and again, no one mentioned anything xx

In my country we can fly domestic flights up until 36 weeks and international until 34 weeks. Hubby is in aviation himself and he says he doesn't see a problem with flying itself, but with me he doesn't like the idea of going away too far from our hospital or obgyn. Lol I can't see why you can't go if your doctor is happy :)

I haven't posted on here in awhile...

But I flew at 29 weeks. The flight was 2.5 hours long and I had no problems whatsoever. :) Just try to get an aisle seat if you can in case you need to get up and walk or use the restroom a lot! As long as you're not high risk, most docs are fine with flying at that point!

I live in a remote area where we don't do deliveries here. So I will be flying at 36 weeks exactly (like many women from my community)... I'm being spoiled though and flying first class :happydance: So hopeful that I'll be able to rest! It's a 9 hour travel day with a few transfers...

I've already mentioned that I'm flying at 30 and 31 weeks to see family. :) I'm seeing my midwife the day before, will bring a copy of my prenatal records, a note from her, and have a copy of my extended travel insurance. I bought some compression stockings, too, and will try to stay hydrated. As long as everything is fine, why not? All flights allow pregnant women to fly at that stage.

Have fun! :D

Get compression socks!! I flew at 27 & 28 weeks and felt safe but my legs were so uncomfortable. The socks helped but once I took them off, my feet looked like balloon animals!

I wouldn't have missed that trip for the world, but I was incredibly uncomfortable. Get an aisle seat and ignore the paniced look of all of the other passengers while you waddle around. Hahaha!

I flew at 28 and 30 weeks pregnant. The worst part was the queuing in the airport on the way home as we were just stood there in the heat (I should have boarded online). The flight was almost 5 hours and was fine, no more uncomfortable than flying normally is! I did need the toilet more often than normal but that could have been because I was trying to stay as hydrated as possible.

I had to get a doctors note and even though I was classed as high risk (GD) the doctor just wrote that it was diet controlled and as there were no signs of preterm labour that he was happy for me to fly.

I can't see why not if you are fit and healthy and not having a high risk pregnancy. I flew right up until I was 36 weeks with both my previous pregnancies, they were 1 hr flights. Never had any issues. I would prefer that to a long car journey at this stage.

I think the only reason they don't want you to fly past 34 weeks is because if by chance you happen to go into labour, they have to turn the plane around or make an emergency landing which costs thousands of dollars. As far as flying leading to preterm labour or miscarriage, that is apparently a myth. When I was pregnant with DD I flew at 28 and 30 weeks. This time I will be flying back home for Xmas at 30 weeks, and returning at 32 weeks. I will ask my doctor about compression socks though. I recently saw a TV program where a doctor was saying that everyone should wear them on long flights, pregnant or not. Something aout them preventing blood cloths in the legs.

I did a one hour domestic flight at 32 weeks and was fine. You'll be fine - seat might be little uncomfortable but you'll be ok.x

Thanks, all! Even though it is a short flight, I bought some compression socks, and have my next regular ob appointment the day before. So, fingers crossed all should be fine. :) it is high pressure when every decision you make involves a teeny tiny person, too.

I really appreciate all the reassurance and stories of flights without issue :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->