Thoughts on Matilda?

Coco Tutu

Reaction score
Both me and DH are Greek, but we live abroad and want to give our little girl an international name, that is still easy for the Greek relatives to pronounce. DH thought of Matilda and I really love it, especially with the variety of short versions.

The name is supposed to mean "fierce in battle", which I find empowering for a girl. Plus, Roald Dahl's Matilda was (and still is) one of my favorite fictional characters and I wouldn't mind much if she grew up to be as independent, quirky and talented as Tilda Swinton :)

On the other hand, I know there is an Australian song called "waltzing Matilda" and Aussie friends told me that they would probably not give their child the name because of that, but they would call her Tillie or Tilda or Maude.

At first we were thinking of giving her a middle name as well (I have one, but it is not common in Greece) but as DH's sister pointed out, "Matilda" is a strong name and might be enough. What do you think about that? Any middle names for Matilda, preferably short ones?

Thank you :flower:

I like Matilda, but would probably call her Tilly as a nn. :)

I love it and I love Tilly as a nickname. I would probably give a middle name too but something short/ one syllable x

Thank you ladies :) We were thinking of "Lou" as a middle name. We want something gender-neutral. At first we thought of Jo, but as she will have a Greek passport, it would be written as Tzo, which is crazy (official translation ISO regulations. Don't ask.)

I like Matilda and Tilly. Greek name translations can be funny - should see mine in the Greek system :lol: I lived there a couple of years ago.

It's a beautiful name. I think one syllable nn would work best. E.g.
Matilda Rose
Matilda Grace
Matilda May

I really like Matilda but I think she'd get Tilly and I had a cat called Tilly and can't seem to get it out of my heD that it's a cats name lol x

Thank you all :) I am glad you like it. I wanted the perspective of people around the world, so this helps. As for being called Tillie, I don't think so because the Greeks wouldn't know about that option and in the Netherlands Tillie is not used (that I know of) either. I think if we introduce her as Matilda/Mathilde/Tilda, people will call her that.

But I get what you mean with the cat name. I love Noah, so we named our bunny rabbit that and even though I loved it for a boy option, now it's taken. By the bunny :D

It's a beautiful name. I think one syllable nn would work best. E.g.
Matilda Rose
Matilda Grace
Matilda May

Thank you for the ideas Cherrylips! If she is born on her due date, then she will be born in May as well, so Matilda May is a great idea!

OMG hilarious, Matilda is on our list too!! Great minds eh?

hahaha it starts becoming a bit scary :D How are you doing Red?

Haha it's ok, I think we're possibly going with one of 3/4 other options. So hard to decide though! I'm doing good thanks! How are you?

I am also doing fine :) I find it harder to eat the large amounts that I used to eat, and if I eat too much onion or garlic I get a heartburn, but I manage.

May I ask what are your other options? It's ok if you don't want to share. Ours are Melissa, Amadine, Elodie and we also like Vera, but were told that it is a very "heavy" and "austere" name.

I just talked with my mom on the phone, who is supposedly trying to be led back and not interfere with our decisions, but it is obvious that she cannot connect with Matilda and she proposed Maya, which we like, but not as much as Matilda and I am pissed that she makes proposals without being asked. She also mentioned Stella, which is the female version of my father's name, even though I have repeatedly told her that we do not want names from the family. Arghh... Hormones, I know. :/

Haha it's ok, I think we're possibly going with one of 3/4 other options. So hard to decide though! I'm doing good thanks! How are you?

I am also doing fine :) I find it harder to eat the large amounts that I used to eat, and if I eat too much onion or garlic I get a heartburn, but I manage.

May I ask what are your other options? It's ok if you don't want to share. Ours are Melissa, Amadine, Elodie and we also like Vera, but were told that it is a very "heavy" and "austere" name.

I just talked with my mom on the phone, who is supposedly trying to be led back and not interfere with our decisions, but it is obvious that she cannot connect with Matilda and she proposed Maya, which we like, but not as much as Matilda and I am pissed that she makes proposals without being asked. She also mentioned Stella, which is the female version of my father's name, even though I have repeatedly told her that we do not want names from the family. Arghh... Hormones, I know. :/

Oh I learned the hard way and now don't tell family/friends what names we're thinking of! We're considering Indiana, Polly, Penelope (Penny), Millie or Amelia.

The other names you've chosen are lovely too! I really like Amadine and Elodie, so pretty! Don't let your mum get to you, she's probably just very excited. I'm surprised my mum hasn't interfered with the naming yet, but maybe she knows better ;) Maya is a lovely name too though, but I agree, Matilda is nicer. Oh it's hard isn't it?

Both me and DH are Greek, but we live abroad and want to give our little girl an international name, that is still easy for the Greek relatives to pronounce. DH thought of Matilda and I really love it, especially with the variety of short versions.

The name is supposed to mean "fierce in battle", which I find empowering for a girl. Plus, Roald Dahl's Matilda was (and still is) one of my favorite fictional characters and I wouldn't mind much if she grew up to be as independent, quirky and talented as Tilda Swinton :)

On the other hand, I know there is an Australian song called "waltzing Matilda" and Aussie friends told me that they would probably not give their child the name because of that, but they would call her Tillie or Tilda or Maude.

At first we were thinking of giving her a middle name as well (I have one, but it is not common in Greece) but as DH's sister pointed out, "Matilda" is a strong name and might be enough. What do you think about that? Any middle names for Matilda, preferably short ones?

I have a Matilda ruby, she is 9in April, I LOVE her name and wouldn't change it for the world. We call her Tilly or Tils and it really suits her, I'm yet to meet a bratty Matilda as well which makes me like it even more,I also have a Elsie Daphne and a Tallulah Pebbles and currently pregs with dd4 and stuck on names I like x

Oh I learned the hard way and now don't tell family/friends what names we're thinking of! We're considering Indiana, Polly, Penelope (Penny), Millie or Amelia.

The other names you've chosen are lovely too! I really like Amadine and Elodie, so pretty! Don't let your mum get to you, she's probably just very excited. I'm surprised my mum hasn't interfered with the naming yet, but maybe she knows better ;) Maya is a lovely name too though, but I agree, Matilda is nicer. Oh it's hard isn't it?

We also had Amelia in our longer list :) I really like your choices. I remember your thread about Indiana Rose (it was you right?) and I loved this name as well.

You are right, sharing names is a bad idea, but I can't help it. I get too excited! :) And yes, my mom is probably excited too. Fortunately I keep that in mind and I am calm with her and just nod (I have to meditate a bit afterwards, but that's fine :D). I am sure she will be a great grandma.

I have a Matilda ruby, she is 9in April, I LOVE her name and wouldn't change it for the world. We call her Tilly or Tils and it really suits her, I'm yet to meet a bratty Matilda as well which makes me like it even more,I also have a Elsie Daphne and a Tallulah Pebbles and currently pregs with dd4 and stuck on names I like x

Oh my god, wonderful names! I love Tallulah! And I love the combinations that you choose :) Today I also asked my brother about Matilda and he likes it too. It's nice to hear encouraging words about an unusual (for Greeks) name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->