Threatened Miscarriage - How quick to receive blood results

- Butterfly -

Cautiously Pregnant
Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I feel like I'm going out of my mind. My brown spotting has now turned to red blood although still not heavy.

I have rang the hospital where I can my emergency scan on Thursday and they said my HCG level was 1170 but this is the only blood test I've had done. She said I have a threatened miscarriage and to take it easy.

But I'm going out of my mind .............. if I went back in or went to A & E how long would it be to get results of blood if they took it today?

Thank you.

:hug::hug:
Butterfly, I'm so so sorry to read about what you are going through. I've no experience at all with the EPU so I don't know how quickly they would give you results of a blood test. Maybe you could ring back again and ask them and explain that you are going out of your mind with worry so it's difficult to relax and take it easy. And explain that you know that nothing can be done but that you just need to know one way or the other. I know that some women have bleeding in early pregnancy including red blood and go on to have perfectly healthy babies, but of course that's not always the case. I am really hoping and praying that everything will work out well for you, you really don't need this stress and pain on top of everything else that you have been through.
Keep talking to us, we are all here to support you through this.
Please stick little bean!!!

I'm not sure how it would work with A&E but i had HCG levels taken last Monday and the result for those was available Tuesday morning, i found out Wednesday morning when i went for the 2nd lot of blood taking. Wednesday's result was then available Thursday morning and a GP from my surgery called me at home to update me.

A single HCG level in itself isn't very useful as figures vary so massively from pregnancy to pregnancy and it is better if you can see levels rising/falling or staying the same so i'd definitely recommend getting more bloods done so you can get a clearer picture. I am surprised your GP or EPAU didn't recommend it.

Big :hug: hun i hope everything works out for you.

I'm not sure hun. When I was in A&E they took my blood on the Friday and last night but the doctor said they wouldn't be doing HCG levels unless they suspected I was having a miscarriage there and then. So I'm not sure why they took my blood.
I'm sorry to hear this. Let me know how you get on. When I wiped this morning I had red blood too. :( I've got my fingers crossed for you xxx

at my hospital the results are available 2 hours after the test was done xx

:hug: do not have any answers just wanted to let you know I am hoping for the best! :hug:

Hi Butterfly,
Did you go back in to get blood test done or just stay at home and take it easy for the day? Hope you are OK. Thinking of you.

Hi ladies

Thanks for your posts. I've just got back from the hospital. They've taken more blood and will hopefully get results tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thanks for all your kind support. Such a stressful time. Hubby being wonderful as usual.

:hugs:

Keeping everything crossed for you and hubby.

Thanks Polaris

It's going to be a tough day waiting for the results. My body is so playing tricks on me. Sometimes there's brown spotting, then red then nothing at all............ I just need to know what's happening.

I've rang the hospital - they said the results get rang through after 1pm so I'm here waiting.
Why are our bodies so cruel to us?

The registrar said yesterday that even if the results show the same level of HCG it doesn't necessarily mean anything............... I've never heard this before ....... I thought the level has to at least have gone up but preferrably doubled.

Anyone else heard this about the levels before?

I too thought the levels were supposed to near enough double every 48 hours, but a doctor should know what they are talking about I suppose!!!!

Good luck hun, let us know xx

Ok got the results so Thursday they were 1170 and today 4 days later 1800. All the doctor said was that something is not right and will know more when I have my scan next Monday.

I'm not a doctor but I know those results are rubbish...... why won't they say that.

I feel so frustrated.

:hug:
I'm so sorry hun.
Can't imagine how you are feeling now.
This should not be happening to you.
I wish there was something more to say.

Ok got the results so Thursday they were 1170 and today 4 days later 1800. All the doctor said was that something is not right and will know more when I have my scan next Monday.

I'm not a doctor but I know those results are rubbish...... why won't they say that.

I feel so frustrated.

I'm sorry you still don't have a definite answer, all the waiting must be making all this even harder :cry:

HCG is supposed to roughly double every 48 hours during the early weeks of pregnancy, although actual levels really vary widely from pregnancy to pregnancy, and then they start to plateau towards the end of the 1st trimester before they begin to fall again, as the placenta takes over.

Sometimes levels won't double in 2 days but if they are rising, doctors might still feel that the pregnancy has a good chance.

I'm sorry you still have so long to wait until your scan, i'm glad you have a supportive OH so you can help each other through all this.

Big :hug:

I feel so frustrated.

I'm sorry you still don't have a definite answer, all the waiting must be making all this even harder :cry:

HCG is supposed to roughly double every 48 hours during the early weeks of pregnancy, although actual levels really vary widely from pregnancy to pregnancy, and then they start to plateau towards the end of the 1st trimester before they begin to fall again, as the placenta takes over.

Sometimes levels won't double in 2 days but if they are rising, doctors might still feel that the pregnancy has a good chance.

I'm sorry you still have so long to wait until your scan, i'm glad you have a supportive OH so you can help each other through all this.

Big :hug:

If they had of doubled every two days then the results should have been 4680. 1170 was at the lowest for a 6 week pregnancy anyway. There's no point in me being wishful thinking and spending the next 6 days in bed. I've got a sponsored bike ride to do in Mollie's name on Sunday and I'm gonna do it and raise loads of money too.

Thanks for everyones advice and support.

Butterfly

I am really sorry for you and I don't mean to worry you but low rising HCG levels can indicate Ectopic pregnancy. I'm not saying that it definately is hun, and I only know becasue the same happened to me in September, but if you do the bike ride, please be careful, Ectopic's can be life threatening if they rupture chick.

I'm really sorry if I've worried you unnecessarily but just wish you to be careful

Good Luck

Amy xx

Butterfly

I am really sorry for you and I don't mean to worry you but low rising HCG levels can indicate Ectopic pregnancy. I'm not saying that it definately is hun, and I only know becasue the same happened to me in September, but if you do the bike ride, please be careful, Ectopic's can be life threatening if they rupture chick.

I'm really sorry if I've worried you unnecessarily but just wish you to be careful

Good Luck

Amy xx

Thanks Amy

I had a scan on Thursday and the sac was in my womb so I think that rules the Ectopic out - well I hope so. :hugs:

Butterfly

Good Luck

Amy xx

Thanks Amy

I had a scan on Thursday and the sac was in my womb so I think that rules the Ectopic out - well I hope so. :hugs:

Well at least that's something, not much to cling to I know. :hugs:

I'll keep thinking of you and keep my fingers crossed hun

Amy xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012