Thrush - Can I use the pessary or oral pill?

Lara310809

Mum of 3 girls
Reaction score
I have thrush. I know I can use the cream, but all the pharmacies have been out of stock for the past two months, and I'm SO sick of itching like this :wacko:

I'm pregnant AND breastfeeding; do you know if I can use the pessary, or the oral pill? I don't want to waste money on the Canesten pack if I can't even use them.

My nether regions thank you in advance :winkwink:

Only the pessary and the cream and it is advised that you push the pessary in yourself with your finger rather than using the applicator when pregnant. Bit silly but that is the advice! X

Thanks girls; provided the girls in the BF section confirm that I can use the pessary while BF, I'll go and buy a pessary on Monday (shops closed over the weekend :wacko:)

In the US it's perfectly
Acceptable to use the oral pill when pregnant and/or breastfeeding. Small doses have no history of any issues whatsoever. Only long term, daily doses of flouconozole high dose pills are class C.

Hi I'd ask ur dr first I read online tht they hav not tested in pregnant woman yet ask in the chemist. X

Thanks; unfortunately the pharmacies here either tell you you can take everything, or are overcautious and tell you you can take nothing; so they're not a great help. I was once told I couldn't take pregnancy/breastfeeding multivitamins because I was breastfeeding! Can't get to the doctor's at the moment either.

I wudnt use anything like tht in pregnancy I used a pesary last yr and had a Miscarrage so tht has put me off xx

My GP specifically told me today the oral tablet is not pregnancy safe x

im in america and I have taken the pill while pregnant and breastfeeding in fact I had a thrush infection on my boob while breast feeding and the baby ended up with it in his mouth and we where both miserable the doctor prescrived me the pill and we where both treated with me taking it since I was breast feeding...

hth
feel better

rang mw last week coz thought i ad thrush and she said NO pill and NO pessary only cream

Pessary is fine unless you have lost mucus plug and cream is fine. Oral pill is not. This is from the uk british national formulary (book with all medications lotions potions etc in it that drs nd nurses refer 2) and this says what xan and cannot be used in pregnancy. Iv used the pessary x3 tbis pg alone!! And it is safe for breastfeeding as it is a topical medication and doesnt go into the bloodstream per se as the oral tablet does iykwim xx

With been so early I would check first as my gp wouldnt let me till I was closer to the second tri

Yes - they say not to insert the pessary too high or you could irritate the cervix which is why you should insert it with a finger not the applicator.

In the UK they do say to get some advice from a doctor first before buying and just make sure that's what the issue is to be safe.

I'm in the us...also suffering from a yeast infection. My doc said 7 day cream or suppository only. She said the oral pill is not safe.

In the US it's perfectly
Acceptable to use the oral pill when pregnant and/or breastfeeding. Small doses have no history of any issues whatsoever. Only long term, daily doses of flouconozole high dose pills are class C.

I was told it had to be the cream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->