Thryoid and ttc

traylee01

Reaction score
hi i was just wondering if i should take the meds.

i started with my partner at age 15, had our first at 20 no issues really, then took us 6.5 to get the next one, i had bloods tests the whole time and my tsh was always from 3 to 5 always varies and no one would listen when i always said could be my thryoid as i did heaps reading for optimum levels etc.

finally now this year they send me to see a endo cause at the time i was pregnant (but then lost it at 9 weeks due to heart stopping) so finally saw endo and now she has run bloods and this was outcome

Antibodies <1
tsh 3.8
free t4 11.6
(that was all they tested)
bar the vitamin d whcih was 80

she has now written mea script for thryoxine 50mg, she said even without antibodies showing might be best to see how i go, since for over 10years my tsh has risen and dropped never truly stable
(is hard for me to fall pregnant i always thought could be bad eggs to though not thryoid) as i have had 3 losses in the past year (first was blighted ovum, second a chemical, ad the 3rd was heart stopped at 9 weeks due to monosomy x)

Hi Hun !!

I can't be any help for you Sorry !
But i'm 5w+4d today and i have same level of TSH 3.7.
Going for blood test today to check my t3 and t4 levels.

So, i don't think this much level of thyroid can hinder your ttc journey.

yea i think its mostly cause i had 3 losses and could be the reason
but not sure as they arent very good drs around here
but it was endo this time, even though not very symptomatic
im hoping if i take them it wont make things worse for me thats what scares me
i dont like meds lol

I think your endo is right - well done for finding a good one. While that level of TSH might be ok for a lot of people, it may be too high for your body. Ideally (according to american journals anyway) your TSH needs to be below 2 at conception and throughout pregnancy to avoid any issues. Suppressing the TSH through medication ensures that the 'correct' amount of T4 is entering your system.

Are you having any other symptoms of thyroid issues? Tiredness, lack of concentration, unable to maintain temperature, hair loss, dry skin, weight fluctuations etc?

I would ask for b12 to be checked at some point as B12 is often low in thyroid patients, as is folate but I'm assuming as you're TTC you'll be taking folic acid. Thyroid patients should be aiming for all key vitamins (B12, Vit D, Folate etc) to be mid-range or higher in order for your body to correctly convert the T4 into T3 to be used by your body. It's all very complicated but it's a bigger picture kind of thing where everything needs to be stable, not just TSH. TSH is merely an indicator, not an accurate measure of your thyroid function. Good luck, and I hope that the medication works. I've successfully conceived and had 2 strapping boys while on thyroid medication. It's not nice having blood tests every 6 weeks, or having to be monitored closely at times, but I had little/no issues, was low risk at birth and the boys were healthy and are now happy 2 and 1 yo's. It can be done. Hopefully this will be the start for you. x

I have thyroid and was born with it. My tsh is 1.35 always told between 0.5 to 5.0 is normal but to get pregnant and during pregnancy needs to be below 2.0. 50mg isn't a high dose so this may just stabilise ur levels. I take 175mg to get the level at 1.35.

Yes I'm gonna wait till I see a new Dr next week and ask for bloods before taking them. As thyroxine is synthetic and I don't want fake drugs if I need them I want to fix it not mimic the issue with synthetic ones. So will see what bloods reveal next week. I carried my 5yr old with tsh have of 3.6 got checked once at 6 weeks pregnant that was it. Nothing ever got mentioned. I also find weird a few people I no having ivf never had thyroid checked I was like u should they said fs said no point. I'm like what the

how did you go with yours test

Hi Hun !!

I can't be any help for you Sorry !
But i'm 5w+4d today and i have same level of TSH 3.7.
Going for blood test today to check my t3 and t4 levels.

So, i don't think this much level of thyroid can hinder your ttc journey.

Yes I'm gonna wait till I see a new Dr next week and ask for bloods before taking them. As thyroxine is synthetic and I don't want fake drugs if I need them I want to fix it not mimic the issue with synthetic ones. So will see what bloods reveal next week. I carried my 5yr old with tsh have of 3.6 got checked once at 6 weeks pregnant that was it. Nothing ever got mentioned. I also find weird a few people I no having ivf never had thyroid checked I was like u should they said fs said no point. I'm like what the

A lot changes when it comes to thyroids almost constantly. 5 years ago the ranges may have been different, or you may have seen a different doctor who would have deemed you ok whereas this one isn't. It's not a very precise organ as it's endocrine, everyone's tolerances are different. TSH is purely an indicator of thyroid health so if your T4 (which is the actual levels of hormones in your system) was ok/in range then you wouldn't have had an issue. If your T4 is now out of range then this could be why you've been called in. The treatment is very simple and I've successfully carried 2 babies with hypothyroid while being treated. It's not a major issue at all as long as you're being treated properly.

As for the matter in bold - thyroid issues tend to be 'whole of life'. Once the thyroid goes wrong and you become hypothyroid, it needs daily medication to maintain the levels of thyroid hormones that the body should be producing. Even if it's only shown up during pregnancy, the chances of it going wrong in the future are greatly increased and therefore you're more likely to need the hormone replacements. The synthetic T4 is the normal prescribed way of helping these conditions. You can get natural alternatives derived from animal (ususally pig or cow) thyroid glands but it's very rare indeed to get these prescribed from a Dr. They're quite expensive and they can be a little unreliable with dosage etc, however a lot of people self-medicate with them. I don't want to be the harbinger of doom or anything but I didn't want you to just take the Dr's word for things. I know from experience you have to be on the ball when it comes to thyroid health.

Good luck.

tsh is 4.1 free t4 is 12.4 free t3 is 3.9 took screen shot of it so can see the ranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->