Thyroid-related infertility...again!

CapitalChick

Mommy to 1 and preggo!!!
Reaction score
Argh!!! So I just found out that, just as with the first time I was TTC, my thyroid is out of whack and, almost certainly, the reason I haven't been getting pregnant these last 5 months.
I'm so frustrated. I know I should be happy because, if things go the same was that they did last time, I should get pregnant quickly once my thyroid is regulated. But I just found out that two of my close friends are expecting (and actually pretty far along!), so I'm just feeling down.
I PRAY that I can regulate my thyroid quickly and then get pregnant again.

Ladies, please please please LISTEN TO ME. If you've been TTC for a few months and aren't pregnant, PLEASE go and ask your doctor for a thyroid test. It is easy and just simple blood test. SO SO many women have thyroid-related infertility. You wouldn't believe it. What you also have to do is ask your doctor if you can hae a copy of the results "for your records". If the doc says no, just insist. And if they still refuse, then at the very least, you should tell them that you want to know the exact results.

Please note that most labs still use old reference ranges. They say that your thyroid is normal if your TSH is between 0.5 and 5.0. But the truth is that most women cannot get pregnant if their TSH is outside of the 1.0 and 2.0 range. That means that, for instance, my TSH just came back with a level of 4.8. That means that, technically, my thyroid is "normal", but if I believed that, I would NEVER EVER get pregnant. I cannot get pregnant unless I am between 1.0 and 2.0. The first time I was TTC, I had to fire TWO doctors who refused to treat my "normal" thyroid. Finally, the third doctor understood me and treated my thyroid. AS SOON as my thyroid was between 1.0 and 2.0, I got pregnant THAT WEEK!

That is soo true CapitalChick. And there is a comittee out there trying to change the lab values of TSH to the 1-2 range. A good doctor will regulate your levothyroxine (or hormone supplement) by your symptoms not just your lab values. I wonder if the lab values are the same overseas as is here in the States, and Canada apparently. A improperly functioning thyroid is a big reason for miscarriages too. I know I read along time ago something about putting iodine on your stomach and if it disappears within a certain amount of time you have an underactive thyroid. There is also a theory regarding low BBT and low thyroid. Not sure if either are true...

Good advice CapitalChick! I hope you get your :bfp: as soon as your levels regulate again!

I just wanted to add that alot of underactive thyroid symptoms can correlate or be misdiagnosed with other infertility issues like PCOS. It can cause weight gain and irregular, heavy periods along with several other symptoms! I am sooo glad you brought this up!

This is all new to me , i didnt realise it can cause you not to get pregnant , i wonder if this works with men ? cos my husband had an underactive thyroide and was put on thyroxine to control , but i concevied ? , very interesting tho i must look into this as last year mine was slightly under , its very very common , thanks for bringing this up x

I have just recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism despite being subclinical back in January - TSH of 10.4 and FT4 11.2 - as I'm in the UK, although normal range is between 0.2 & 5.0 they still won't treat a TSH under 10, however as my FT4 came back still in normal range (9.0-25) treatment was refused by my GP DESPITE 2 previous miscarriages, numerous hypothyroid symptoms and sudden inability to conceive.

I did manage to conceive again however I lost another baby back in May and only due to my wonderful consultant was my thyroid problem referred to an endocrinologist (TFT done in April came in as TSH 11.1 & FT4 down to 10.0). I finally got to see the endo last week and he has prescribed 50mcg Levothyroxine to bring my levels back to normal - we are banned from TTC until this happens.

Even though my endo told me that it probably didn't cause my miscarriages I (and the masses of literature I've researched) believe it could have been possible.

Oh and the low BBT theory is quite correct. Mine has always been low but I put it down to "one of those things". My average BBT over the last 3 months came in at 35.93 celsius - anything under 36.4 can be considered hypothyroid. The BBT concept was discovered by Dr Broda Barnes - I have found the book Your Thyroid and How to Keep it Healthy to be very helpful.

Hi Hollybush75,
I'm in shock when I read about your thyroid stuff (in your journal and in this post). I cannot understand how, with all the research indicating to the contrary, any endocrinologist or doctor can claim that, with a TSH of 10+, your thyroid likely wasn't to blame for your multiple miscarriages. I just don't get it!
I mean, one of the very first check boxes in surveys to determine if you have a thyroid problem is "have you experienced one or more miscarriages?".
I'm just in shock. I have no respect for doctors. I really truly believe that, when you have a condition, you need to study it yourself (peer-reviewed, academic studies) and learn as much as possible, because many of these silly doctors don't know their arse from a hole in the ground.

This thread is very interesting. I had my son 2.5 years ago. After him, I suffered postpartum, or so my doctor told me - i was put on all different antidepressants, non really worked.

My thyroid was 6.8 (was not too sure what that meant) and my doc told me it would go back to normal eventually. Every time I went to see her, and it was quite often - i knew something wasn't right - she would tell me "it can take 2 months for your body to get back to normal after a pregnancy, the next time it was 6 months, then 12 months and so on - she is the worst doc ever!!! Anyway, the thyroid has gone down to 4.8 and is considered normal now...have seen an endocrinologist and she said it is normal...i will be looking into it again though, after reading this thread - thanks Capitalchick

OMG...again...I'm furious with these stupid doctors. Please spend some time reading reputable sources online (American Endocrinology Association, etc.) or buy the book "Living Well With Hypothyroidism". I recommend buying the book. EDUCATE YOURSELVES! You will be very surprised to find how outdated and BAD the advice your doctors are giving you is. If your thyroid stimulating hormone level (TSH) is at 4.8, there is a very very very good chance that you will NOT conceive. And, if you somehow do manage to conceive, there is a very high likelyhood that you will not carry the pregnancy past your period. The optimal TSH level when trying to conceive is between 1.0 and 2.0. You really should be aiming to get it in that range. If your doctor tells you that TSH around 5.0 or below is normal, it shows that they haven't read up on anything thyroid-related in nearly 10 years. You need to sack them ASAP.

Ladies, take control of your healthcare. Bring your doctors the literature and show them!!! I will try and post some good links.

I read "Living Well with your Autoimmune Disease". Also a good book capital chick, same series, I think its the same author too because she talks quite a bit about her own thyroid condtion and tx for thyroid issues.

Yea thats it! I had to look it up to be sure. I knew it was red & yellow tho! I should read it again, I am pretty sure there was a pregnancy/fertility section in it.

Yeah, in the one specific to hypothyroidism, there's an extensive chapter about fertility, pregnancy and breastfeeding.
I'm kind of mourning the loss of my ability to breastfeed my first baby, now that I know that my lack of milk was likely caused by my thyroid. Knowing that I has thyroid disease, you think the doctors would've checked it after my delivery, eh? But...they didn't and I just never was able to produce milk...and I have huge boobs!

I know this isnt quite the same but im going to say it anyway as we are talking about the way doctors work.
My husband was diagnosed with an overactive thyroide , i cant remember the numbers and all that but he lost loads of weight constant easting and going to the toilel , bad moods , he had everything so it was bad . It took 2 yrs to settel it before they could take it out ? then while they were waiting for this he ended up with thyroide cancer ( medullary) which is a bad one, very hard to treat . What im saying they never spot things when they are staring them in the face !! keep on at them about your worries dont give up , change doctors if you feel the need to , go with your gut feeling but remember the internet can scare you and give you wrong advise well it did for me , the things i used to read ! , if your not happy get a second apinion im glad we did x

So glad to see this thread, I too have had hypothyroid for many years now, i'm 29 and have been TTC for 6 months with no luck I spoke with my GP regarding this and was told it will have no effect on trying to concieve, but I also read that in order to get pregnant your levels must be between 1.0-2.0 I 'feel' slightly overactive at present as my thyroid does fluctuate at different times of the year so will be getting my levels checked in the coming weeks. Do you know if overactive has the same infertility implications as underactive, i'm now unsure if I have any faith left in the medical system, I though america were better informed with thyroid issues than the uk but sadly they appear to be as bad.

Thank you so much for such an informative thread!!!xx

Also just found this in an article which might prove usefull for monitoring our levels when we do concieve...

Normal TSH Levels DURING PREGNANCY
According to research, during a normal pregnancy, the following are the TSH normal ranges for an iodine-sufficient population without autoimmune antibodies...
First Trimester: 0.24 - 2.99
Second Trimester: .46-2.95
Third Trimester: .43 - 2.78

my TSH level when i got checked was 0.61. is this a problem? they said it is normal, and my husband who is a medic said the same as well. military doctors stink so i'm afraid to even dig any deeper...should i?

i have an underactive thyroid and when i got referred to the clinic they checked on that amongst the other stuff. Turns out my levels were lower than normal and my prolactin was raised which my FS said cud have an impact on getting pregnant. Once my dose was increased, my levels of prolactin fell and a couple of months after i got my first BFP. It ended in a chemical but at least i knew i cud fall.

So yeh thyroid issues can def have implications with trying to get pregnant

I agree that if you cannot conceive, do get a thyroid test. I also think that one should be done if you've had a miscarriage too. I had a miscarriage and they did a thyroid test and found me underactive.

Best wishes that a BFP will come soon for you! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->