• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Time Magazine and AP

My_First

Reaction score
I havent read the article, (I think you need to be a subscriber), but thought this was a great front cover....

https://content.usatoday.com/commun...-year-old-attachment-parenting/1#.T6wcX-zzjcs

And I didnt manage to BF, nor choose to AP...

Brilliant picture, shame about all the idiotic comments at the bottom of that page. :dohh:

Yeah, I kinda wanted to caveat to ignore that bit...

I haven't got access to the article but think its a brave move by Time. It's ridiculous that we're surrounded by half-naked women selling us everything from perfume to hardwood floors (seriously, seen it!) but a woman feeding her child is still a huge deal in many parts of the world.

I like it, but it seems to be having a bad effect on most people though...the comments are horrible! They were actually making me mad and its amazing how uneducated people are about bfing. o_O

I disagree. I think the picture and title are awful. BFing an almost 4year old would not be for me, but I don't judge those that choose to do so. However, the picture looks bad. That is not how mothers breastfeed and the title was even worse. Am I not mom enough because I would wean after a year? I feel Time could have enlightened people on breastfeeding and attachment parenting, and instead they chose to shock people. That does not help the situation at all. Anyone against BFing a child that age will only be reinforced in his/her thoughts against it. Quite a shame in my opinion.

That is not how mothers breastfeed

Dunno, when your feeding an toddler/child pretty much anything goes. Today I was feeding DD with her sat next to me and she decided to get on all fours (whilst still feeding) and start humming "Wheels on the bus" whilst doing a little dance. Standing on a footstool seems very tame.

Shouldn't need a subscription for the article: https://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2114427,00.html?pcd=pw-lb

I do agree that the title is shit. I thin for me I didnt see the picture in context, I saw it as an actively promoting, as opposed to how extended bf is done. But I guess its everyones different ways of looking at these things.

By the way I have not read the article so I dont know what sort of 'spin' there is on it.

I think the picture is Fab! :)... I follow some AP techniques but I stopped BF when LO was 15 months old as I felt that it was long enough for us, however I have no opinion on people who want to keep going x

However, the picture looks bad. That is not how mothers breastfeed .

I know and have seen people in our local toddler groups feed their children like this (okay, not with the stool but they do run up to their mothers and pull their tops up for a feed, whether standing or sitting).

Yes, but mothers don't typically stand there with a hand on the hip while having herself and son pose for a camera!! That mother completely exploited her son. That poor kid is going to get so much crap from grade school through high school. She cares more about expressing her bfing opinions than the well being of her son in my opinion.

I think the picture is great, I love the look on the boys face!

I can't believe the comments on that page, terrible!

I think its really sad that the gossip/entertainment tv show did a short blerb on this article and blurred out the breast yet the routinely show women in bikinis showing far more.

I don't have a problem with extended breast feeding. My little cousin (6 now) was BF'd until he was 3 and he is one of the loveliest children I know (except that cheeky streak that most 6 year olds have lol). However, I just don't think it looks nice, and by 3 kids are perfectly capable of saying "mummy I want boobies"... That would mortifying me in public!

Also the title "are you mum enough", I think that is the wrong thing to say! I tried for nearly 4 weeks to BF but I didn't get on with it all, and I think it's unfair that people would judge me for switching to the bottle (I don't mean anyone in particular, just in general). My baby boy is happy, content and growing beautifully so what's the shame in it? I even MISS BFing sometimes, but it just wasn't for me.

I think there are definitely good and bad points to this article...

XxX

Yes, but mothers don't typically stand there with a hand on the hip while having herself and son pose for a camera!! That mother completely exploited her son. That poor kid is going to get so much crap from grade school through high school. She cares more about expressing her bfing opinions than the well being of her son in my opinion.

Yes of course it's been 'dressed up' for the camera, but I still see nothing wrong with it! It's very common even in this country to BF up to toddler age. Personally I don't see the child getting bullied when he is older, why would he? There'll probably be lots of his peers who were also BF up to toddler age. Plus he looks like a very happy, content child in the pic!

I don't have a problem with extended breast feeding. My little cousin (6 now) was BF'd until he was 3 and he is one of the loveliest children I know (except that cheeky streak that most 6 year olds have lol). However, I just don't think it looks nice, and by 3 kids are perfectly capable of saying "mummy I want boobies"... That would mortifying me in public!

Also the title "are you mum enough", I think that is the wrong thing to say! I tried for nearly 4 weeks to BF but I didn't get on with it all, and I think it's unfair that people would judge me for switching to the bottle (I don't mean anyone in particular, just in general). My baby boy is happy, content and growing beautifully so what's the shame in it? I even MISS BFing sometimes, but it just wasn't for me.

I think there are definitely good and bad points to this article...

XxX

Definately agree with you with regards to the title!

I think the picture is awful. It looks very posed and unnatural. Not that I think extended breastfeeding is unnatural if that's what you want to do, though personally I wouldn't. But I think the cover is totally for shock value, that boy no way normally would breastfeed like that. Also the title is quite offensive, implying that your not a real mum if you don't breastfeed till age 3/4. Hopfully the article inside is better.

I'm neutral on the actual topic of extending BF, I was a bit naive until recently and didn't even know it could be done at that age, my boy was prem so went straight on a tube but even after I couldn't BF as I had no milk, like none at all :cry: but still I'm not sure extended BF would be for me. No problem with other people choosing it though :thumbup:

However I find this picture very strange. It looks very unnatural (not the act but the pose) and I'm sure if they wanted to depict extended BF they could have got a more natural looking pose/picture. IMO it looks like the boy has been shoved on the breast and told to stare at the camera :shrug: I dunno, I feel it has exploited extended BF itself, not the actual child. They have definitely gone for the shock factor, and don't even get me started on the title :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->