Time Magazine and AP

It's the front cover of a flipping magazine, it's supposed to be unatural and shock people, that's how magazines are sold.... take the naked preg pic of Sadie Frost, that wasn't natural, you think she wasn't airbrushed, or sits in that pose at home? Just like this lady and her son!

The picture draws you in to want to read the article, and it's worked!

The difference is sadie frost is a grown woman choosing to exploit herself. This is a child being exploited . And for those who said they don't see him getting bullied later on in school, get real. I worked in the schools (elementary through high school) for 7 years. This will be passed around and he will be tormented because he is a big kid sucking on his mom's boob in a picture that has been published. Even if EB were common where he is, no one goes passing around pictures of it at school. I'd have no problem with it if it were a different picture. One that was not for shock value and one where you could not see who the child was. So many of you seem so concerned with making a statement and standing up for what you think is right, without thinking of the well being of this child- and the mother has done the same thing. There is nothing natural about making a child stand on a stool, put his mom's boob in his mouth, and pose for the camera. It is complete exploitation and to me, that is what is disgusting.

Oh dear god. Really? She's exploiting her son? This is why women are afraid to NIP. This is why there aren't more breastfeeding moms. No one would bat an eye at this in Asia or some other European countries.

we're not in those countries tho are we. we have weanin ages etc WEANING onto REAL FOOD why the hell is that child still latchin on? express n in a flippin cup wud make it a lil more easin, but that whole picture. wrong!!

i'm all for breastfeeding (I didn't through choice) but definitely see its purpose; however, I struggle to see the purpose of doing it at such an on age. Again with some mums I think once they can drink from a cup then why would they still need to latch. By all means still give them breast milk if thats what you want to do, but why not in a cup :shrug:

Just my thought anyone, though i'm sure the breastfeeding brigade will shoot me down and declare some form of ignorance of my part.

Very strange front cover. I personally don't like the picture and I am not a believer in extended breastfeeding past a certain age. I also agree with a PP about the child being bullied at school when he is older, especially with the internet these days. This photo is out there forever now, and I think that the choice of the parent to spread their child across the whole world in the media this way is totally wrong!

I think the picture is Fab! :)... I follow some AP techniques but I stopped BF when LO was 15 months old as I felt that it was long enough for us, however I have no opinion on people who want to keep going x

However, the picture looks bad. That is not how mothers breastfeed .

I know and have seen people in our local toddler groups feed their children like this (okay, not with the stool but they do run up to their mothers and pull their tops up for a feed, whether standing or sitting).

that last bit IS JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!

you nurse a baby not a child that can speak.

IMO when the child starts tuggin at the top, liftin it, even physically askin for it is TOO OLD (little britain BITTY comes to mind...) i think its a selfish thing to do. coz that woman wants to prove to everyone about breastfeedin n how its best. Yes agreed, up until around 6 months. there cannot be any benefits in the breast milk (if they still get any) at 3. that poor child as a pp said will be bullied in school for this unfortunately.

I dont have a problem with bf'in infact i regret not bein able to keep it up but at that age.... its gross

Just my opinion. n i no ill be riddled for this...

Tbh, I don't think your opinion is at all uncommon.

I'm interested in why you feel the way you do though? You say it's OK to BF until 6 months, are you aware that:

-the American Academy of Paediatrics recommend breastfeeding until at least a year and then beyond as long as the mother and child wish to continue

-that the World Health Organisation recommend breastfeeding until at least two years and beyond, as long as both the mother and child wish to continue

-that a child's immune system isn't fully formed until somewhere between age 2 and 7 and that until that time the antibodies in breastmilk will benefit them

-that as opposed to breastmilk no longer having any nutritional value after a certain time, breastmilk constantly changes to suit the needs of the child getting it. At one year it becomes higher in fat and protein to suit the needs of a toddler.

-children weaned from the breast prior to 2 years old are more likely to get sick than children who continue to be breastfed.

-that the longer a Mother breastfeeds the more her risk of osteporosis, breast cancer, ovarian and other cancers is reduced.

Children get bullied for all sorts of reasons, too short, too tall, wrong colour hair, glasses, wrong brand of trainers etc etc... I'm certainly not going to alter my parenting to the detriment of my child based on the fact that some parents can't teach their children to behave in a civilised manner, although I will teach my children how to deal with bullies and that their opinions don't matter.

Extended breastfeeding if done properly, is done on the child's terms. You let them gradually reduce feeds and decide when they want to feed. It has nothing to do with the mother. You're not going to see mothers lifting their tops at the school fence to let their kids have a suck before school. Most of the time, you won't even know a child is still BFing because it comes down to a morning feed and an evening feed. This woman chose to show that she is still BFing and she is proud of it. The picture chosen was for shock value, but shock value sells.

Extended breastfeeding if done properly, is done on the child's terms. You let them gradually reduce feeds and decide when they want to feed. It has nothing to do with the mother. You're not going to see mothers lifting their tops at the school fence to let their kids have a suck before school. Most of the time, you won't even know a child is still BFing because it comes down to a morning feed and an evening feed. This woman chose to show that she is still BFing and she is proud of it. The picture chosen was for shock value, but shock value sells.

Yes but the difference is she is using her own son for shock value which is disgusting in my eyes

I have no problem with BF or extended breastfeeding but that cover looks very forced to me, isn't that kind of defeating the object of showing how natural it is :shrug: as I said before they could have shown it in a more natural setting, with the mum and child looking more natural, I may have been intrigued to read the article in that case.

There is another picture of her BFing her son which I like a whole lot more. Can't link it here due to forum issues, but he's across her lap and looks very content.

Have a look at the comments on the Daily Mail website article :shock: those people are so rude!!!

Personally I don't like the picture, I feel it looks fake and unnatural- the photo that is not bf before anyone jumps on me!

Something doesn't feel or sit right with me bf a child for that long at that age, but this is probably because it's not something seen everyday, well by me anyway if it was seen and done more often I bet people including myself would not blink twice at this picture.

X

Midori ~ for reasons i stated earlier. fora child to physically latch on to a mothers breast past a year old (6 months wud be my limit) is just plain wrong n weird! if u want to give your child BM then put it in a cup! no1 wud be none the wiser, but wot if your child decided one day in a restaurant they was tired n wanted to feed AT 3 n startin askin for it, quite loudly, havin abit if a tantrum too, wud u be embarrassed or jus let him have his way?? n have everyone stare n judge u?

I think the picture is Fab! :)... I follow some AP techniques but I stopped BF when LO was 15 months old as I felt that it was long enough for us, however I have no opinion on people who want to keep going x

However, the picture looks bad. That is not how mothers breastfeed .

I know and have seen people in our local toddler groups feed their children like this (okay, not with the stool but they do run up to their mothers and pull their tops up for a feed, whether standing or sitting).

that last bit IS JUST PLAIN WRONG!!!

you nurse a baby not a child that can speak.

IMO when the child starts tuggin at the top, liftin it, even physically askin for it is TOO OLD (little britain BITTY comes to mind...) i think its a selfish thing to do. coz that woman wants to prove to everyone about breastfeedin n how its best. Yes agreed, up until around 6 months. there cannot be any benefits in the breast milk (if they still get any) at 3. that poor child as a pp said will be bullied in school for this unfortunately.

I dont have a problem with bf'in infact i regret not bein able to keep it up but at that age.... its gross

Just my opinion. n i no ill be riddled for this...

Gross? Seriously? :dohh:

Newborn babies "ask" for milk by crying. By 6-9 months they can ask for milk by signing and by tugging at the mother's top. By 1 year they may be able to ask verbally. Why on earth does how they ask make any difference?

And actually there are still lots of nutritional, immunological, neurological and psychological for continuing breastfeeding into toddlerhood and childhood. The WHO recommends that all children should be breastfed until at least 2 and then as long as mutually desired.

It's the front cover of a flipping magazine, it's supposed to be unatural and shock people, that's how magazines are sold.... take the naked preg pic of Sadie Frost, that wasn't natural, you think she wasn't airbrushed, or sits in that pose at home? Just like this lady and her son!

The difference is sadie frost is a grown woman choosing to exploit herself. This is a child being exploited . And for those who said they don't see him getting bullied later on in school, get real. I worked in the schools (elementary through high school) for 7 years. This will be passed around and he will be tormented because he is a big kid sucking on his mom's boob in a picture that has been published. Even if EB were common where he is, no one goes passing around pictures of it at school. I'd have no problem with it if it were a different picture. One that was not for shock value and one where you could not see who the child was. So many of you seem so concerned with making a statement and standing up for what you think is right, without thinking of the well being of this child- and the mother has done the same thing. There is nothing natural about making a child stand on a stool, put his mom's boob in his mouth, and pose for the camera. It is complete exploitation and to me, that is what is disgusting.

Really?! Children of three years old are going to pass Time magazine around, laughing and sniggering and bullying this boy? Really?! In a few months time it will have all blown over and most people won't even remember the woman's name or what she looked like.

I don't believe this child's well being in at stake because of this at all.

Yes but the difference is she is using her own son for shock value which is disgusting in my eyes

Exactly!!! It's not about not breast feeding in public, or changing the way you parent because you don't want your child made fun of, it's about putting your child on the front cover of a magazine and showing him sucking on his mom's boob. If she wants to breast feed him fine, bur don't go and send a picture to the world. I wouldn't publish a picture of my 4 year old taking a bath either! It's not fair to the child!

Must be because she's from California lol! We don't really care what you think. People see more in the gay pride parades and on the beaches.

Thank goodness the child in question is homeschooled so he won't have to put up with narrow-minded people who would ridicule him!

Really?! Children of three years old are going to pass Time magazine around, laughing and sniggering and bullying this boy? Really?! In a few months time it will have all blown over and most people won't even remember the woman's name or what she looked like.

I don't believe this child's well being in at stake because of this at all.

No, not at this age, but in years to come this will haunt him many many times. This will not pass for him and his peers when he is older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->