Tips for a good gym routine please!

Logan's Mum

....plus Eric : )
Reaction score
So, Im finally joining the gym, and sadly Im quite excited about it!! :happydance: (what a loser :rofl:) Im having an induction hopefully on Tuesday, and would really like them to give me some sort of exercise routine (what equipment to use and for how long etc). But would also like to know, what works best for y'all? How often should I go, and for how long? I was planning on going twice a week at least, for over an hour each time, and once I look half-decent swimming too! p.s. I am a size 12, looking to be an 8/10 by September for my cousin's wedding.
Advice/tips appreciated, thanks!
:bodyb:

I'd say tell the instructors your goal, problem area etc and ge them to do a program you'll stick to.
I run a lot, outside and in the gym, intervals on treadmill combined with some free weights.
That's what I enjoy and what works for me!
My advice would be do what you enjoy, mix things up, include interval training which is great for weight loss and try to keep the motivation going
good luck
xxx

I'd say tell the instructors your goal, problem area etc and ge them to do a program you'll stick to.
I run a lot, outside and in the gym, intervals on treadmill combined with some free weights.
My advice would be do what you enjoy, mix things up, include interval training which is great for weight loss and try to keep the motivation going
good luck
xxx

Hoping to get my own program, HATE running though (well, will run when I feel less like a wobbly mess, running just emphasises the wobbliness! :dohh:)
Whats interval training? Is it like circuit training?
:flower:

good luck
xxx

Hoping to get my own program, HATE running though (well, will run when I feel less like a wobbly mess, running just emphasises the wobbliness! :dohh:)
Whats interval training? Is it like circuit training?
:flower:

hi there!!

Interval training is basically fast bits then slow bits to recover and you can do it with any cardio vascular exercise eg....

I run fast for 3 mins then walk for 2 and repeat this 6 times
the idea is that in the fast bit you really push yourself and then recover enough to go for it again!
It really helps for weight loss as it quickens metabolism better than steady state exercise ie doing the same level for the whole session.

you can do it on the bike, rower, cross trainer, walking (do up hill power walk then flat to recover)
It also helps me not to get bored!!!

If runnings not for you then fine, try to find something you REALLY enjoy

ask you trainer about interval training
xxx

I used to do:
Warm up on treadmill, walk & light jog for 20-30mins (I HATE running!)
15-20mins rowing machine
20-30mins cycling
10mins stepper
30-60mins swimming

and then every other day I did a couple of weight machines too and then did more strength training at home like ab crunches etc.

But that was way too much, especially as I had a 20min walk home at the end of it too, I used to get so dizzy and I ended up not losing weight after a while as I wasn't eating enough.

I found finishing with a swim (and sometimes jacuzzi and steam) fab though because it stops your body aching and you can be as gentle or vigorous as you want depending on what you've achieved in the gym.

You should check out the classes, aqua aerobics is great fun and I've heard amazing things about Zumba (I'm going to start it up when Theakston's off the boob and I have my evenings free), and Salsacise was always a favourite of mine. When you've got other people to laugh with you hardly notice how knackered you are.

I used to do:
Warm up on treadmill, walk & light jog for 20-30mins (I HATE running!)
15-20mins rowing machine
20-30mins cycling
10mins stepper
30-60mins swimming

That sounds good, I want to mix it up a bit, and really want to start swimming again, but I want to be a bit more toned before I let the public see me in a costume :blush: Would like to do weights too, will see what the instructor suggests for that as I wouldnt want to overdo it. I dont know how often to go, was thinking twice a week but doesnt seem enough to make a difference? :shrug: I have my induction tomorrow, sooooo NERVOUS!! HAHA! Not sure why, I dont think I want to look unhealthy and stupid though! :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->