Tips for anyone with leg cramps!

thelioncub

Reaction score
Heya everyone,

Just thought I'd let you know what has worked for me and the leg cramps I was having every day for the last few weeks. It may just help you too?!? :thumbup:

- When you stretch in bed, DON'T point your toes forwards. Bend them backwards towards your leg instead, and do this if the cramp starts - pointing toes is what started my cramps and made them worse once the leg was hurting. It's also worth trying to make a conscious effort to not fall asleep with your toes pointed.

- I've started drinking a cup of hot chocolate (made with milk) before bed and this has stopped me getting them for each night I've had the drink. I read that cramps could be a lack of calcium, so any dairy should help.

I hope someone benefits from this! It's probably all obvious stuff, but those darn cramps baffled me for ages before I found a way to stop em!

:)

thanks for that! I got my first one 2 nights ago and I usually suffer with them at the best of times - so the last thing I need is leg cramps while pregnant! Already got a trapped sciatic nerve!

I usually suffer with them at the best of times

They are horrible aren't they. :(
I always thought it was a lack of salt in the diet, but I was getting them no matter how much salt I ate. The milk thing surprised me, but it has definitely helped!
I have to try really hard to catch myself before I point my toes, as I seem to stretch out automatically every morning whilst I'm still half asleep. lol.

Thank you! I had an awful calf cramp two nights ago, shot up in bed and screamed at OH to pull my foot up!! He wasn't impressed when he found out it was just cramp!
I've been told banana's help too, the potassium is supposed to help stop cramps...

glad im not alone,these cramps are so awful they can affect my calf for the whole day so i end up with a little hobble :( - i agree pointing the toes up helps, but i always stretch my leg and point the toes *ballerina style* in my sleep :cry: so it wakes me up, also whilst felxing your foot upward i find it helps if you rub the calf downwards towards the feet,just soothes it abit,but god it (brummie style) 'Dun half hurt bab!'

I was getting terrible leg cramps (and combined with carpal tunnel in my hands, aaargh!) -- I eat two bananas a day and take a calcuim (safe in pregnancy) supplement twice a day, along with my usual antenatal vitamins/iron supplement and for the last two weeks, leg cramps ok (twinges, but not spasms)

best wishes

ps. also a underblanket heating pad on bed helps a little!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->