Tips for saving money?!

Heather11

Reaction score
So hubby and I are hoping that this is the year we get pregnant! So with the start of 2012 we really want to start saving money!

What are your saving money tips?! Do you clip coupons?! What are the best coupon sites?! Any tips or advice would be great! Thanks so much and happy new year! :flower:

Start saving regularly for the baby so that when you actually conceive/when the baby's born, you have $$$$ to help you out through the craziness.

We're at TTC and we've started this. I'm tracking to see how much of the money in the account IS actually for the baby and so that we don't use it. We have it in the non-daily account to ensure we don't accidentally dip in too much.

I clip coupons and use them as needed but I don't buy for the sake of having a coupon. More coupons going into recycling than I actually use. IDK where you're from, a simple site starts off with www.savings.ca

gl

Start saving regularly for the baby so that when you actually conceive/when the baby's born, you have $$$$ to help you out through the craziness.

We're at TTC and we've started this. I'm tracking to see how much of the money in the account IS actually for the baby and so that we don't use it. We have it in the non-daily account to ensure we don't accidentally dip in too much.

I clip coupons and use them as needed but I don't buy for the sake of having a coupon. More coupons going into recycling than I actually use. IDK where you're from, a simple site starts off with www.savings.ca

gl

We actually have an account for the baby as well. I am using Smarty Pig and one of our savings goals in a baby. So the baby has their own money in their own account to help. My goal is to at least get my 3 months of my salary in there to cover maternity and stuff. If I can get more in there then great!

if you can, keep going. Don't stop saving for the baby until you need the $$ for something else. Recently I told my hubby we have plenty we can stop as we're not even yet preggo (that I know of) and he said no to keep going. Good idea bc you never know HOW much it's going to cost. I was hoping we can start staving more for vacation, lol.

Buy less - ask yourself before every purchase "can I do without this?!"

Search grocery flyers each week for sales and stock up on sale items! Buy in bulk for items you use often (where it makes sense to) such as toilet paper, cleaning supplies, cereal, pasta, etc. Use coupons for groceries -- but be careful that you don't buy something just because you have a coupon!!! lol

If you like to go to restaurants, try going out just for dessert instead of a full meal. Or search for special deals or coupons.

Renegotiate monthly bills -- insurance, utilities. Shop the competitors and then call your provider to see if they can match the best deal. If not, maybe it's worthwhile to switch. Perhaps you could also cancel/cut back on cell phone, home phone, internet or TV plans.

Use public transit where possible... Not much fun but it can help.

Ask for necessities (such as clothing) as gifts for Christmas, birthdays and other holidays

Watch movies/tv online instead of going to the cinema

Spend more nights in... arrange a games night and/or potluck with your friends instead of going out.

Cut back on the amount of shoes/clothing/accessories you purchase by avoiding these shops altogether!!

If you have children -- swap toys with friends or borrow from a community toy library

If you have debt try to pay it off to reduce the amount you are paying in interest. Talk to you bank about reducing monthly service charges on deposit accounts as well as interest rates on loans.

Create a realistic budget and include your partner in this exercise

Track your spending for a few months. Perhaps there is something you are spending money on that isn't really making much difference in your life (expensive coffee, lottery tickets, daily snacks, buying lunch, small trips away, having two vehicles, cosmetics, etc.). Use that money instead for something you will really appreciate (such as your future baby!!).

Hope at least one of these ideas helps someone!! :)

Budget. Work out how much you need for bills and put that in one bank account, and put a set amount for spending money for the month in another. Whatever is left put straight in your savings account on pay day - don't wait until the end of the month as it will all have been spent!

I saved for a year before having LO so I could relax through my maternity leave and not have to worry about unexpected bills or expenses. I was able to see how much I spent on luxuries, even small things like buying lunches and coffees every day added up.

Other things we did were

grocery shopping online so that I only bought what we needed and avoided impulse buys

Changing bills to direct debits to get discounts

Comparing utility providers

Having friends over for meals/going to friends houses instead of restaurants

Cancelled gym membership and go running instead

One idea I read, but didn't follow myself, was to live of DH wage (as if you weren't working) and put yours straight to savings!

When I was pregnant with my LO, I signed up to loads of different groups and got so many coupons/vouchers through the post, I saved loads. I signed up to SMA, Cow and Gate, Heinz, Bounty, Photobox and bought a little Johnsons baby starter pack. It had a load of vouchers in it too. Hope they help :)

Join baby clubs...esp boots and tesco...you get lots of vouchers

Get loyalty cards like tesco, nectar, boots, superdrug. My points have often paid for my shopping :)

You don't need to buy lots of things for your baby...they don't need many toys. You'll be really tempted to buy pram toys, a pretty changing bag (you get a simple one free when you join boots baby club), a jumperoo, fancy flashing toys like alot of people have. You simply don't need this! I wasted alot because I felt bad as friends had more toys. Don't buy expensive branded things like bugaboos unless you get them secondhand.

Buy your christmas shopping in jan sales I've just saved a fortune on wrapping and cards for next year.

Use camel camel camel for price alerts on things you may want on amazon at some point during the year. Amazon can really knockdown prices but only for a day or two.

Use cashback sites for shopping.

Use mysupermarket.co.uk for grocery shopping. It compares your shopping to other supermarkets as you order and can switch at end. It also recommends cheaper products within the same store if they have deals on! Free delivery as you'll be a new customer. My free delivery offers ran out recently so I went back to shop on foot...BIG MISTAKE. I spent double :(. Petrol cost in car same as delivery...missed offers as supermarket was packed and couldn't see... more stressful and I was hungry so bought more stuff. I will always shop online now even with delivery cost it is cheaper.

Cleaning you can save too...i don't buy cleaning sprays for kitchen or bathroom anymore as white vinegar and water in spary bottle is brilliant! cuts through grease, kills bacteria etc...smell goes in minutes! Use vinegar in bathroom it cuts through all the limescale. Put it in the final rinse cycle in your washing machine...you don't need fabric conditioner it eventually blocks your fabrics anyway! Vinegar will clean washing machine also :) You can buy massive bottles of white vinegar in asian supermarkets which by the way sell herbs and spices in big bags (cheap) and not tiny expensive jars.

My husband and I have done a finanace makeover using moneysaving expert.com. By paying off debts with savings,changing mobile phone contracts, broadband deal, grocery shopping..we are now saving 400 per month and we haven't finished yet!!! I need to check my bank accounts and see if I can get a better deal

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/money-help

I also do surveys they don't pay great but can be interesting. Global test market is the best. You need to accummulate 1000 points then you get a $50 cheque. It is slow I do about one every 2 days and have 350 points now but I have been doing it for a couple of months...

Poundland etc be careful not everything is a good deal...£1 for bleach is expensive. Make sure you know the av cost of things before you buy it there.

Phew! I'm not a tight person honestly! I've just realised how much more we could have saved if we just paid more attention to cost of things. Do it you'll be surprised how much you'll save!

HTH x

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/family-money-saving

This is brilliant :)

I love to use coupons and promos for my discounted shopping. It helps me to save valuable cash. There are some good sites which i always visit like RetailMeNot, couponcrazy, Couponpark and slickdeals where i can find thousand of top stores coupons and deals.

Track your spending for a few months. Perhaps there is something you are spending money on that isn't really making much difference in your life (expensive coffee, lottery tickets, daily snacks, buying lunch, small trips away, having two vehicles, cosmetics, etc.). Use that money instead for something you will really appreciate (such as your future baby!!).

I think this part is key! We track and categorize every single penny we earn and spend. It really puts things into perspective when you see how much purchases like your daily coffees add up to each month! Changing those small habits helps tremendously in the long run.

For my Canadian Friends: This website has a lot of useful advice. I recommend the Interactive Budget Worksheet and the Interactive Debt Worksheet.

Very useful!

https://www.gailvazoxlade.com/resources.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->