Tips on telling the boss???

BrollyDolly

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
I am so scared of telling my boss that I am pregnant that I feel as though I cant enjoy my pregnancy.

So, I have my first scan on 05/01/15 and thats when I want to be able to tell people about baby number 2 but I am absolutely dreading telling my boss.

I only started the job in July but I love it, it honestly is one of the best jobs I have ever had, perfect hours, fantastic wage and lovely people...apart from the boss. Dont get me wrong he is nice enough but he is one of those people who you never know how to take on a daily basis, one day he can be fine and have a laugh and the next you are in his office for not making his tea quick enough (extreme yes but its fine).

Anyways, I know he cant get rid of me for being pregnant but I do know that within the first 2 years of employment they can get rid of you without any big reason (as long as its not discrimination). I am worried that I am going to tell him and he is going to find a way of making out that either I havent been doing my job properly, or I'm just not fitting in/working out in the team or something along those lines.

I need help/advice on what I should say or how I should approach him with it. Has anyone else been through this at all? Is it worth speaking with HR first or just biting the bullet and going direct to him?
I already know I would be looking at going off in June and returning the following January/February time so I know I can at least tell him what timeframe I would be looking at.

Help!!!! Please!!!!!

Poor you! It's horrible to feel like that I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this.

I don't have a lot of support to offer but I didn't want to read and run. I don't think they can dismiss you on anything other than competence issues at this stage without setting themselves up to face a huge discrimination event, no matter what excuse they make. And proving incompetence is not an easy thing to do if you are present and making a measurable contribution.

If you feel like you're worried about how the conversation might go it might be a good idea to have HR in the meeting with you if possible. That way he will either be on his best behavior or if he's inappropriate you have a witness.

Good luck with it, I'm sure it'll all be fine once it's over and done with and you never know, they may surprise you and be super supportive! :hugs:

I'm going through something similar. I don't plan on telling my boss until I am past the 12 week mark. I just started my job in September and nervous that I'll get fired too! lol. I plan on taking 12 weeks off. He's a nice guy, but he makes me nervous. Good luck to you! Any ideas on how to break the news would be great!

I have been wondering about when id tell my boss too. I work in a small place and only started in May! I'm worried about morning sickness and him knowing before I'm ready to tell him!!

I am nervous about telling my boss and co-workers too only because I am due around a busy time... I plan to tell them when we are all together at an office meeting where I will be 14.5 weeks... I figure its like a bandaid, just have to rip it off and get it over with! haha. On another note, I didn't tell HR until I was maybe 5-6 months, I had to notify them that I planned to take maternity leave and get all of the company's disability info.

I had a similar situation, i've been with the company for 4 year but recently changed positions, i was very scared to tell her but i had to tell her when i was around 8 weeks, i was really ill all the time and she was actually concerned i had something serious. I just sent her an email, said i need to borrow her for a few minutes, she came over to me and i just told her flat out, she said she had guessed that, gave me a hug and we said we'd discuss when i'd leave etc when i'm further along. Honestly it was a huge weight off my shoulders because i hate lying, and i just kept saying i had the flu, which does not last for weeks :p

I didn't tell my boss I was pregnant until I was 20 weeks and I had only been at the job five months. Honestly the thought of telling them is worse than what it actually is. I actually rang her instead of face too face as that's what I preferred to do I felt so relieved afterwards x

Sort of in the same boat. I've been with my company 4 yrs BUT I'm coming off almost a year maternity leave pregnant. Lol. I'm very nervous to tell them because that means I'm only back tops 6 months or so. They will not be pleased. They have been begging me to come back. Here in Canada we are entitled to 1 year mat leave at 55% of our pay. I'm pretty sure it's discrimination to fire a woman for pregnancy so I have law on my side, that being said I'm going to avoid telling them for as long as possible. I also think when I do I'm going to let them know I will be taking a shorter mat leave this time. I'm thinking 6 months.

I have told my boss already and i am only 7 weeks +1. She and I are very close so it wasnt a hard thing at all to do. She is very happy for me sinse she knew our struggle.

Just find out what your labour laws say and maybe speak to the HR people before speaking to your boss (so you are well armed with your rights)

All the best

i started my job on the monday and got admitted into hospital when i found out i was over 7 weeks pregnant on the thursday, i had to tell my boss due to 1) being off work whilst in hospital and 2) due to nature of the job in nursing industry and all the risks during pregnancy, you legally dont have to tell your boss until 24 weeks in the UK, also there is a new law that your employer has to change the hours ect around you and not you change around them x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->