to all kindle users

emilyjade

mummy of two!
Reaction score
Im thinking of buying one for my dads birthday but want to know when you read a book do you have to connect to wifi ect? Mainly because my dad reads on holiday i think thats when he'd use it the most and may not be able to connect to the internet. I dont want to waste my money or give him a present what he wont get the use of?

:flower:

There bringing a new onx out thats as good as a ipad :) kindle fire x

really? what extra will it have on than ones now, do you know? x

I have a kindle and you can download off the computer with the wire you get or you can download on wifi too. He is more likely to download the books before he goes on holiday as most can hold 2000+ books!! I love my kindle!!

Wifi and 3gs, apps, go on internet, and it's full touch screen, no keypad

As far as i was aware kindle fire is exclusive to usa and has been available there since before xmas, and amazon uk have denied its release here, unless thats changed i wouldn't get excited :( and no once you have the book on the kindle its readily available. No net required etc x

Kindle wifi is great, and cheap. Use wifi to download a book and then that is it! Not necessary to have wifi to read books!

I have a kindle and love it. Once the books are downloaded no internet required.

I personally wouldn't take mine on some holidays as I wouldn't leave it by the side of a Hotel pool.

You only need net to download then you can turn the wifi off :)

Personally my kindle is a kindle and would hate it to be a touch pad lol.

i LOVE my kindle, i read about 2-3 books a week! You need to connect to wifi to download a book but once its downloaded you can read it anywhere, no wifi needed.x

I just checked and its still a rumour that it might come here... just saying if people want to buy a kindle, buy a kindle :) no use waiting for that, the uk isn't capable of using the fire right now, and it would cost amazon millions to set it up.... saying that tho, if the rumours are true i will happily buy one ahha x

the fire isn't really a kindle replacement though, i think. i thought it was just like an ipad, the beauty of the kindle IMO is the lack of backlight and e-ink so it reads really easily.

no you don't need wi-fi to read already bought books :) and if you wanted to get accessories i'd definitely recommend getting the kindle mighty bright light for reading in bed. Also I have a Gelaskin which is a vinyl skin that protects the kindle from scratching although you can get all sorts of covers and sleeves to protect it.

the fire isn't really a kindle replacement though, i think. i thought it was just like an ipad, the beauty of the kindle IMO is the lack of backlight and e-ink so it reads really easily.

no you don't need wi-fi to read already bought books :) and if you wanted to get accessories i'd definitely recommend getting the kindle mighty bright light for reading in bed. Also I have a Gelaskin which is a vinyl skin that protects the kindle from scratching although you can get all sorts of covers and sleeves to protect it.

Totally agree. I love the simplicity of it :)

Like soemone else said he could just download loads of books before going on holiday.......... I love love love my Kindle its definitely not a waste of money if you read a lot.....it actually saves money in the long run.

i also love the simplicity of it.... its for reading books and thats that. xxxx

My husband bought me one for Christmas and I'm Kindle obsessed now. Can't imagine life without it :happydance:

i was telling OH about my plans to buy my dad one and he said there was no point as you can read books on the Ipad and he already has an Ipad :(

I have the wifi only original Kindle (no 3G). I have never missed having 3G, if I'm going to be away from my home wifi I just make sure that I am fully loaded up with books before I go. The battery will last much longer if wifi is turned off when not needed too.

You can also get hold of *ahem* unauthorised CDs that have 3-4,000 books on them for about £5. I have all the Harry Potters on my Kindle thanks to that, despite them not officially being available for Kindle.

You only need the wifi to download the actual book, once it's downloaded its there whether wifi is on or not :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->