to BF or not to BF

BabyMamma93

Mummy of a Easter baby
Reaction score
i cant decide whether i want to BF or not..
I know its the best you can give your baby, not to mention FREE!! but the one main problem is, im returning to work, im not taking the full mat leave, my OH cant work so he will be at home with baby when i return, and if i was to BF it would mean having to sit and express a number of bottles every day for whilst im at work.
& i was also told that expressing can cause boobs to 'sag' well i was told BFing can anyway but expressing does more-so, is this true?
Ive also read people saying BF is painful, i always read it shouldn't be, at all, so why is it?
at one point i decided to BF for the first few weeks, just while the good stuff is there, then use formula, but read that it is painful at first and just as it gets better i will be stopping, i also read that BFing then stopping can be bad for breasts as it can cause ducts to block?

Anyone else breast fed for a while then used formula?
Any mums returned to work and breast fed?
Any other advice i may find helpful to help me decide??

Everyone's opinion on BF is different, but for me, there's no reason not to BF. There's less chance of baby getting lots of different types of infections, less risk of diabetes & obesity later in life, less risk of colic & vomiting, less risk of cot death, less risk of dental & speech problems, and breastfed children tend to have higher IQs & less chance of behavioural problems. Not to mention the decreased risk of breast & ovarian cancer, osteoporosis & depression in BF mums.

Something to think about is that even small amounts of breastmilk still make a difference, in studies, children who were breastfed even just for a couple of months still had advantages over the ones who were never breastfed. So even if you only breastfeed for a short time, you're still giving your baby & yourself massive benefits.

As for the saggy boobs, pregnancy causes that, BFing or expressing makes no difference.

And sometimes BF can be a bit uncomfortable at first, cause babies have really strong suction & your nipples have to get used to it.

Ultimately it's a decision you have to make yourself, but it's not so black & white as BF or not BF, a lot of mums use formula when they're at work, then BF on days off & before & after work. Or BF until they go back to work then switch to formula, or express once they're back at work. Might be best to just see how things go & make the decision nearer the time!

All the best with whatever you decide!

I think any amount of BM is amazing. Why not try it out and see how it goes. Not everybody has pain or problems but many ladies unfortunately do. When you think about it, one of the most sensitive and delicate parts of your body is being sucked hard for a very long time. That's bound to put stresses on that part of the body. No it shouldn't hurt but I think that not very many ladies or babies manage to get the perfect latch straight away. It can take lots of practise and that's when you get the pain, whilst getting it right.

Take each day as it comes but I don't see any reason why a) you shouldn't try it and b) you can't BF until you go back to work. Good luck :flower:

I think you should for the simple fact that no one ever kicks them self for trying but you might kick yourself for not.

I struggled with this decision too... granted I'm only 12 weeks pregnant but as Lozzy said... Few people kick them self for trying! I'm reading as much as I can to prepare myself for breastfeeding in the future!

I wanted to point out something I wasn't prepared for. Everyone talks about pain from nipples cracking or engorgement but I never hear anyone mention the pain from uterine contractions. I don't know about anyone else. I get occasional twinges of pain in my nipples during feeds and engorgement is more annoying then painful but the pain in my uterus has been painful and took me by surprise because no one ever mentioned it to me.

BF! Does it hurt? Sometimes. I never had problems with nipples cracking, engorgement, mastitis or anything like that, but I did have a baby with a not-so-perfect latch and it was quite painful at times!

But I have a 17 month old who had never been sick prior to 15 months old. He has since then gotten 1 tummy virus which lasted ONE DAY (then I got the same virus and it lasted over a week). I just had pneumonia (which I gave to my husband also) and he stayed perfectly healthy the entire time. Breastfeeding has kept my baby happy and healthy and there's no negative aspect of breastfeeding that can outweight those positives.

Breastfeeding is hard at first. Much harder than I was led to believe. You'll wonder if you're doing it right, if he/she is getting enough food, you'll be majorly sleep deprived, have an aching back, wonder when you'll get your next meal without a baby attached to your breast....then all of a sudden it'll be SO EASY and you'll wonder why you ever thought it was so hard.

At least give it a try. Even if you can exclusively BF for the first 6 weeks, the benefits of even that short of time BF is SO WORTH IT!!!

I BF for 6 months then switched to formula. I would say it is definitely worth a try!

Expressing was hard work for me so personally if I where in your situation I would probs go to combi feeding when I went back to work but some ladies can express with ease.

I am not sure about the sagging, mine went a little saggy but that could have been just from pregnancy as a pp said and I wasn't really too bothered.

They say BF shouldn't hurt if there are no problems but most ladies I have spoken to said they at least had some discomfort at the beginning. For me my nipples were sore for a week or so until they toughened up a bit but I used Lansinoh cream which was great and it was all worth it!

When we switched I weaned DD off gradually and didn't have any probs with blocked ducts.

So in conclusion I would say give it a go and see there is nothing to lose by trying :thumbup:

Breastfeeding or pumping does not cause sagging. Some studies have even shown that women who breastfeed have better tone and overall appearance of their boobs than if they had FF. It's never a good idea to stop BF or pumping suddenly but there's no reason you couldn't cut down gradually over a few weeks? Xx

another vote for 'why not try?' here. any bf you do whether that be a few days or few months or few years it all helps give baby what they need so whatever you can manage i'd say try.

I was in the same boat about not knowing.. But after reading all the benefits.. I plan to give it a try!! You don't have to commit to it long term. My goal is to BF while I am home with baby, the first 3 months. And then from there decide if I want to pump for him, or how I want to go about it. So I think you should try it out, doesn't mean you HAVE to do it for a long time. Good luck!!

Thanks for the replies, made me feel more confident on making my chouce, the only thing is i was told by someone that you cant give both BM and formula, as it can upset their stomach, you give one or the other?
and it can also be bad to BF for say 3 months, then stop and FF!
was she wrong??
i also heard that it is bad for your boobs? as it can cause the ducts to block and stuff?

To me there's never been a choice, as long as I have known the benefits of BF there was no way I would contemplate formula without trying BF first to me it is the default and formula is only a substitute in the unlikely circumstances of me being unable to BF. The beginning is the hardest, it did hurt me, I had sore nipples and terrible after pains exasperated by feeding but as with anything to do with rearing children it's not always easy, this time around I am already comfortable by 2 weeks but it did take longer first time. So if it were me I would plan on BF and take it as it comes when you go back to work, I am sure you will hear even if you just give your baby your colostrum you are giving them the best start. I would suggest before looking at all the circumstantial advantages and disadvantages (although I know in your situation that is easier said than done) concentrate purely on the benefits of breast milk for your baby and I think you will see initially at least there is no competition.

In regards to the whole sagging thing, I don't know, as much as I am body proud I wouldn't let that factor in how I feed my child I'd rather have sagging boobs and my children have the life long benefits of BF :) nothing a good bra can't hide.

Thanks for the replies, made me feel more confident on making my chouce, the only thing is i was told by someone that you cant give both BM and formula, as it can upset their stomach, you give one or the other?
and it can also be bad to BF for say 3 months, then stop and FF!
was she wrong??
i also heard that it is bad for your boobs? as it can cause the ducts to block and stuff?

No amount of BM is ever bad for a baby, whether that's because you switch to formula or because you combi feed, BM won't upset your baby's tummy it has been designed for it so if you decide to FF but BF where you can BM will always do good, not bad, so the more you can add the better, it's switching different types of formula I think you're supposed to be mindful of, some babies are better on different types, but your BM is made for your baby.

i totally agree with everyone saying 'why not just try it' this is what i intend to do, its more the work thing thats bothering me, i intend to return to work after 4 months.
By what im thinking (could be entirely wrong) id have to express a number of bottles every morning so that my partner can do feeds, go to work, return for lunch, maybe need to express more or BF then return to work, and then go home back to BFing, or just express milk all day rather than feed from the breast.
it does sound selfish but thats alot of work. whilst on mat leave it doesnt seem so bad, ill have all day to have my feet up etc. but expressing then working then home to express or BF sounds very tiring!! unless i BF just for the first 4 months and change to FF when i return to work!!

If expressing is tough going you can still combi feed when you go back to work, BF in the morning FF while you are work and BF when you are home :thumbup:

I guess I just feel its a shame you're focusing on what can be a negative impact on yourself, rather than whats positive for your LO. I see you have posted how it should effect you in a negative way - but what about all the good it can do for your LO?

Im not gonna lie to you, my boobs have gone from their perfect plump perky shape that my DH adored, to now a more saggy version. Whether that was due to my weight gain (I gained a LOT while preg) or if we can really blame the BF/pumping.... the fact is i do not regret anything because i did and gave my DS the very best I could while i could.
\
At the end of the day, it's all up to what you're comfortable doing. Happy mummy = happy baby. Though BM is always a wonderful start to their life at least for the first 6 months, but any BM they can get s awesome.

At least you're planning to give them your colostrum. That will set them up for so much for their life as it is.

i think that may be the best option, wont be as tiring, thanks

i totally agree with everyone saying 'why not just try it' this is what i intend to do, its more the work thing thats bothering me, i intend to return to work after 4 months.
By what im thinking (could be entirely wrong) id have to express a number of bottles every morning so that my partner can do feeds, go to work, return for lunch, maybe need to express more or BF then return to work, and then go home back to BFing, or just express milk all day rather than feed from the breast.
it does sound selfish but thats alot of work. whilst on mat leave it doesnt seem so bad, ill have all day to have my feet up etc. but expressing then working then home to express or BF sounds very tiring!! unless i BF just for the first 4 months and change to FF when i return to work!!

4 months is loads of time to establish BF and then switch to FF or combi feeding if you decide, you should speak to the American ladies on here who don't get our maternity leave and manage to BF having gone back to work at 6-12 weeks. Even if you only BF for the 4 months on maternity leave your child would have loads of benefits, looking at my NCT list you reduce the risk of asthma, eczema, chest infections, diarrhoea. If you're concerned about your body BF burns 300 calories a day, with my first I was back in my pre pregnancy clothes within a couple days and I have a 2 week old second child to which I am again back in my pre pregnancy clothes already, there's also lots of health benefits for mum too.

Not meaning to preach it's your decision, but if the only thing holding you back is going back to work early I think 4 months is still extremely beneficial even if you decide to not go down the expressing route when you go back to work. Even if my milk was to disappear today I have done amazing things in just 2 weeks with my BM (for me and him).

I feel BF for 4 months is awesome! So if you can manage that then brilliant. I totally understand the awkwardness with BF while back at work. Just see how you go, you never now you may very well could stick it out for longer (do you work set hours?)

I work shift work so stopped BF once i returned to work after 9 months of BF. Shift work messes with it, but set hours give you more of a chance as you can train your breasts to produce at the certain times so your ducts wont block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->