To eat meat or not...

nkbapbt

Double Preemie Momma
Reaction score
So this is a weird question..and may spark some debate ( I hope it will not ).

I do not eat meat and I never have. My husband does and I cook it for him. I have no issues with that. I do not want to push my choices on anyone, HOWEVER I also want Lakai to have the same chance to make his own choice.

How would I go about giving him the correct protein until he is old enough to make this choice? Or do I just give in and let him eat meat (which I won't lie does not feel natural to me but would do it if I had too)?

I eat tofu, I don't really see why he could not eat it as well.

He is 8 months old today..Thanks ahead of a time!!
:thumbup:

Hi hon

Don't be worried about starting a debate, there's a few mummies here who are bringing their babies up as veggies until they're old enough to decide for themselves! There was a thread a little while ago on this which might give you some info:

https://www.babyandbump.com/weaning-nutrition/202898-weaning-child-onto-vegetarian-diet.html

Thank you! You just never know..I just wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to debate if it was good or healthy..you know.

:flower:

Thank you! You just never know..I just wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to debate if it was good or healthy..you know.

:flower:

Your baby, your decision hon! He's gorgeous by the way! :D

I have no idea lol, but if giving him meat isnt something you were comfortable with then dont do it, im sure there are plenty of other ways for him to get what he needs

Amelia gets meat but only occasionally, given the option i give her vegetarian stuff, like veggy sausages etc. There is plenty of protein in those kind of things, so i wouldn't really worry.

Hiya!
If you dont want to give your little man meat then there is absolutely no reason to.As long as you keep a close eye on his diet then he can get everything he needs from a veggie diet.
The thread that was posted is really good,has lots of good info on it and there's a group here too...https://www.babyandbump.com/bnb-groups/204227-vegetarian-mums-babies.html if you need more help.
Good luck with your decision :hugs: xxxx

I would say if youre going to be the one doing the cooking and feeding then go with what you want to do.

I am in a similar position - husband is a very strict vegi and is making me feel guilty as i am going to be feeding her meat eventually (only chicken though, not red meat as I wouldnt eat that) , if she wants to not eat meat later on then its her choice, i'm not bothered.

I say feed him whatever you're comfortable with. My DH and I are big meat eaters but I actually feed Edward lots of other proteins (beans and such). I would like him to have a more open mind to food than either DH or I do.

I agree, he's your baby so its your choice, so long as you're making an informed choice (i.e finding out what to give for protein etc)

Do you eat eggs? If so then they are a wonderful source of protein. There's nothing wrong at all with what you're doing. He can get his nutrients elsewhere, and if he specifically needs more iron or animal protein you can give him vitamin drops.

I was going to say eggs is a really good source of protein even just the egg yolk until its ok for the whites... Euan loves yolk scrambled. I thought Tofu was pretty high in protein too but maybe i am wrong and lots of beans and other legumes have lots too. I am sure Lakai will be fine.

I think u are a wonderful mum for considering ur babies needs before ur own beliefs/views on meat.
My mil is a strict veggie & spent all her life being MEGA strict on my hubby & his sister. As a result both of them starting eating meat at school etc & hiding it from the mum... His sister STILL does hide it from her mum.... And shes 30 now!!! ridiculous

I think u are a wonderful mum for considering ur babies needs before ur own beliefs/views on meat.
My mil is a strict veggie & spent all her life being MEGA strict on my hubby & his sister. As a result both of them starting eating meat at school etc & hiding it from the mum... His sister STILL does hide it from her mum.... And shes 30 now!!! ridiculous

Speaking as a veggie with a veggie baby I would say, Iif I was inyour situation I would give Chloe meat. She doesnt have it cos WE don't have it but if one of us did so would she.

I think feeding her would be easier if she had meat I don't think I would worry quite so much. Just my opinion though

don't want to be controversial because to be honest what you feed your baby is really up to you but i don't understand why excluding meat means lakai gets to make a choice about whether he is vegetarian or not-or do you mean exclusively veg so he can say he's never had meat? i don't know your reasons behind not eating meat but a compromise may be to ensure he eats ethically farmed organic meat. Just in case you're concerned about totally excluding meat as a protein source.
Again, without knowing your reasons for being a veggie its a bit difficult to say but if he's happy and healthy thats all that matters, i think the veggie diet may require a bit more thought than one including meat though and i'll say it again-i don't get how this gives him more of a choice regarding whether he is a veggie, its like getting a baby baptised as catholic then saying that he can make a choice about religion when he wants....
He'll rebel at 15 anyway so cook meat for him now and welcome him to the veggie fold when he's a teen or bring him up a veggie and watch him guzzle those bacon sarnies later on in life xx

^^ I think that you could make the above argument with a lot of parenting decisions. Thing is, you need to do what is right in your heart for your child, weither that be to meat or not to meat, to baptise or not to baptise, to immunize or not to immunize.

Nic - listen to your heart and parent the way that you know is right for you and your family. I think that is the first step in teaching our children to listen to themselves and trust themselves. Then when he is old enough, he can make decisions that are right for him in HIS heart.

I have friends that are vegetarian and have never eaten meat and are glad of that. A vegetarian diet means you need to pay a bit of attention to food combining to get a complete range of amino acids (lentils and toast) and you can't feed them too much tofu or quorn but Finn loves a little. I am contemplating offering a bit of fish, maybe long lined mackerel (thatis ethically caught) I think it's good for brain development and I give a bit of follow on milk high in iron because of the haemolytic disease his iron has never been high and I worry about it, But I know that a vegetarian diet is fine, I am veggie for religious (a swell as ethical) reasons and we are not dying out so do what is best for you.

I understand what you mean about giving a choice. You can bring baby up eating meat then s/he can decide to be veggie later on, or bring up veggie and s/he can decide if to be a meat eater later on. With the latter option, at least if baby wanted to stay veggie s/he can say they've never eaten meat. For example I was brought up as a veggie and am proud of the fact I've never eaten an animal (thats why we are veggies) So they way i look at it is, I will bring my baby up veggie, if she wants to eat meat when she is older, so be it, its up to her, but if she wants to remain veggie, she'll know she has never eaten meat.
Its very easy IMO to bring your baby up veggie if you or DH are one, as you just give what you eat. She has mostly same stuff as we do, somethings might be different for example baked beans she has low sugar salt ones but she has more or less the same as I do.

^^ I think that you could make the above argument with a lot of parenting decisions. Thing is, you need to do what is right in your heart for your child, weither that be to meat or not to meat, to baptise or not to baptise, to immunize or not to immunize.

Nic - listen to your heart and parent the way that you know is right for you and your family. I think that is the first step in teaching our children to listen to themselves and trust themselves. Then when he is old enough, he can make decisions that are right for him in HIS heart.

Just wanted to say I think that is excellent advice,really well said :thumbup: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->