To ladies that use OPKs and BBTs:When do you stop BDing?

LaRockera

Reaction score
So, some couples do it a few times a week, others less often, and for some it can be once or twice a month at times.

My question to you is, when you're specifically having baby-making sex, when do you stop? Do you stop after your temp rises, after a few days from your positive OPKs, or do you keep going for let's say another four to six days?

I know some doctors say do it every day, others every other day, but the question is, when do you stop? Do you guys keep going even after you've confirmed ovulation and you've covered your bases for the day after too?

Cheers. :thumbup:

Two days after my temp rises since the egg can live 12-24 hours :) When you get a positive OPK it means you will ovulate anywhere from the time you get the positive to 48 hours afterwards. Once you get a rise and it stays up, the day before it rose was the day you ovulated :)

We stop actively trying each month after my EWCM stops. It’s hard for sperm to live in anything else. We still have sex but not specifically trying to get pregnant.

Well, I don't stop having sex, so I guess your question doesn't really apply to me.

If I'm tired one night and want to sleep, I will, but not if I'm fertile.

Great question!

Personally, we are sex-in-the-tww kinda couple. In my opinion it won't hurt anything, it helps relieve some potential stress of that time, and makes sure hubby doesn't feel used for his seed!!

Anyway I think I ov'd yesterday based on a strong pos opk and my temps this morning. We BD about every other day before that once AF stopped, then got day before ov, ov day, and we'll shoot for tonight as well to make three nights in a row. After that probably every other to every couple days, mainly for fun and not just to make sure we're covered, although that is a nice bonus.

I suspect I will get a neg opk tonight but we will BD anyway bc why not?

I should add too that hubby doesn't seem to have any problems with sperm counts, which is often when people/docs suggest doing it less frequently I think? At least, we've never had his guys analyzed.

Thank you guys. :flower:

Here's my problem. DH and I have been together for seven wonderful years (six of them on contraception + pull-out method, so not too worried I didn't get pregnant all this time; was doing everything in my power not too :dohh:). Anyway, at the moment, we just have... erm... baby-making sex. My period lasts almost a week, and my fertile days begin on cycle day 10 anyway, with ovulation most of the time happening on day 13.

At the moment we're BDing every day on days 10-15 (last SA showed very high sperm count so not too worried about every-day BDing at the moment). Before that, we'd just do days 10, 12, 14, or days 12 and 14, or days 11 and 13- you get the picture, and then stop. So around twice or three times in my fertile week, and that was that. Apart from that, perhaps we'd have sex once or twice during the 2 week wait but that was about it.

So I've been wondering. Could it be that we haven't manage to conceive yet because we simply weren't having enough sex?

If you could so kindly follow the link in my siggie, I've jotted down our BDing days on each of my charts-- the blue label headline letters on top. What do you think? Am I just being a big idiot, or even with these intercourse frequency patterns, I should have been pregnant by now? I'm on cycle 13, and I can feel a 14 coming. :cry:

Thank you for the time and the support. I could really, really use your opinions. :hugs:

So I've been wondering. Could it be that we haven't manage to conceive yet because we simply weren't having enough sex?:

Simply stated, no.:hugs: It's not because you're having too little sex. My second child was conceived from bd ONCE in 2 weeks.

Have you read 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility?'. It's a great book. In there it mentions that you don't need to be having lots of sex, just well timed sex. If you bd 20 times a month, but miss your ovulation, you're not better off than someone that bds 3 times a month. It's all about timing.

Are you temping? I've found that with my husbands perfect count, I've never conceived when my last bd was greater than 24 hours prior to ov. So, for me, if I can pin point ov, I know when to give up with my planned bd.

Sorry to hear you're struggling. My first was 19 months, now I'm moving to my 12th. It really sucks!!

Sorry, I think I need to rephrase my question.

I'm not worried I'm having too little sex overall. I know I can't conceive if I'm not fertile, and I have pretty steady cycles 28-29 days (ovulation occurring 90% of all cycles on day 13). I'm asking whether the fact that half of the time we've been ttc we had sex just twice during my fertile window.

I've read Weschler's book, as well as a bunch of others. But at my last visit to the NHS OBgyn, she told me "not to pay attention to temperature", and to go for every other day between days 10 to 20. I stop at day 15 (inclusive), because my temp clearly rises on day 14 or 15. Should I go on after that just in case? That's why I'm asking the ladies here whether they stop after the temp shift.

Sex at the rest of the month can be pretty random. I've read that docs recommend that couples have sex at least once every three days throughout their entire cycle. But not everybody wants to do that, and I don't intend to put any pressure onto neither of us. There's unbelievable physical affection between us and we're still madly in love after seven years. But we're both heavily career-oriented, both very ambitious and hard-workers, so we just have sex whenever we feel like. Which may be five times a week, or twice a month.

Should I go on after that just in case? That's why I'm asking the ladies here whether they stop after the temp shift.

so we just have sex whenever we feel like. Which may be five times a week, or twice a month.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I continue to bd for 1 more 'course' after ov. I do every other day (my DH with a great SA, has #s that drop with repeated bd. I never would have know that with only SA. We had to do IUI to find that out). So, if I ov and I'm due to bd that night, I do it again in 2 nights, just in case. If I bd the day before ov, then I bd the day after as well. Does that make sense?

And yes, we do whatever we want during my nonfertile time as well. It's just really planned in my fertile phase.

Kind of.

So, given that we're fertile for five days, four days leading up to ovulation plus one day after, do you do it every other day, for a week?

I don't know what to think anymore. Different docs are telling me different things. The month we did it every day for five days in a row was the only month I saw a BFP (which was gone in the afternoon, and then my AF came two late. It could be a chemical but not too sure). I know that every day can lower the count, but if there are too many I've read this isn't really a problem, and that frequent sex also enhances motility and morphology.

I don't know what the heck to think anymore. :wacko:

we stop after pos opk/temp rise x did this with my sonx

Kind of.

So, given that we're fertile for five days, four days leading up to ovulation plus one day after, do you do it every other day, for a week?

I don't know what to think anymore. Different docs are telling me different things. The month we did it every day for five days in a row was the only month I saw a BFP (which was gone in the afternoon, and then my AF came two late. It could be a chemical but not too sure). I know that every day can lower the count, but if there are too many I've read this isn't really a problem, and that frequent sex also enhances motility and morphology.

I don't know what the heck to think anymore. :wacko:

I just know that from my personal experience, his SA was great. Then we bd for 7 days straight and his count was in the toilet. Also, we did IUI 3 days in a row and it dropped every day.

I start every other day from the first or second day that I notice my fertile cervical mucous. I usually have this for 5 days, sometimes 3 and sometimes 7 (that was a lot of scheduled bd. Plus that month our plan was doggie style:wacko:, lord I had enough of that!). With all of that said, I'm still not pregnant.
My first was IUI, which the first 3 failed. I only did it insemination once the month it worked.
My second child was bd once in 2 weeks.
My third was from every other day, last bd was 24 hours prior to ov. I keep thinking that this is my magic recipe, but can't seem to replicate it. We bd on cd9, 11, 13, 15 and I oved on cd16 (cd 9 and 11 were coincidence, it wasn't planned that way).

I've read that if you go too long without bd or ejaculation that the sperm quality actually lowers. Some people do scheduled bd for the entire month, that's insanity to me.
It's really only 5 days a month that matter to me and I do whatever I want the other 25. I can't live the entire month with scheduled bd.
If you got even a faint positive after 5 days straight, then do it again and see if it works. I can't seem to duplicate any of my previous experiences, but I certaintly try!

we stop after pos opk/temp rise x did this with my sonx

Thanks, honey (ha ha :haha:),

You've been here quite a while too, I remember you were here when I first joined. I also remember you had the cutest pix of your son in a bathtub and a little frog costume, right? What a beautiful baby! I remember it because I just loved your siggie (the one you still have). Very moving and wonderful. :flower:

But, you know what? I don't give a crap. It's really only 5 days a month that matter to me and I do whatever I want the other 25. I can't live the entire month with scheduled bd.

100% agreed.

5 days before the predicted fertility, we bd 4 of the days. During the 5 day fertility period, it was every day. 4 days after we bd 3 of those days, now it's tapered off to about every other day.

It was every other day last month and still think we missed the O window.

We'll see what happens this month, fxxx for a bfp!!

Bump.

I want to hear from more ladies. And thank you everybody that responded so far.

:flower:

We BD every other day up until we get a positive OPK, then we DTD on that day and the two following days.

Our general PLAN (meaning it's planned but doesn't quite happen) is bd every other day. Then get the +opk and bd every day "plus another couple days."

And then kind of do whatever we want during 2WW. I jokingly call these "freebies."

This month I had the flu w low grade fever during ovulation week (errrrrr) so I can't pinpoint ovulation as specifically as I'd like. So this is how it ended up. (Keep in mind my OPKs are ICs and open to my interpretation.)

Cd 20 Bd
Cd21 +opk Bd
Cd22 +opk Bd
Cd23 +opk Bd
Cd24 -opk Bd
Cd 25 NO BD. Now this is the day I'm worried about. I'm like this was probably the big day and eggie came out and was like where is everyone???
Cd26 Bd

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->