To pacify or not to pacify??

David doesn't like them. God knows I have tried... I have tried several different brands but when I try to give them to him he grimaces and spits them out. On the rare occasion that he takes one, he spits it out soon after. I wish I could find one he likes.

I had to convince Jasper to take one, he just wanted the boob ALL the time. He'd be crying for the breast and I'd put the dummy in his mouth and he'd get angry and spit it out.

What I found worked was to hold him in a breast feeding position and pop the dummy in his mouth and hold it in place against my chest, so he'd feel like he was breast feeding. He'd still protest a little, but then he'd settle down and start sucking.

Now when I give him the dummy I just need to hold it in his mouth for a minute, until he stops crying and starts sucking and then he'll generally keep sucking until he's asleep.

:hugs:THANK YOU I will try this! I just posted a thread about David's need for constant nursing, it's incredibly frustrating -- thanks so much for the tip, I hope it helps!

I honestly don't know what I would have done without the dummy when my LO had colic. It soothed him, but at the same time actually made the colic better. To have let him suffer more than needed just because I didn't want problems weaning him later in life would have been cruel.

Now he only uses one at night (well actually a couple lying in his bed as he spits them out when he goes to sleep, but if he wakes he looks for it) and also during the day if he is very tired or its getting close to his feed time. I don't think weaning will be a problem as he doesn't rely on it.

I also hate seeing babies with dummies! Especially when they are trying to smile at you.

I didn't have any problems using a dummy & i wasn't discouraged either, Joseph uses one at night to help him sleep :baby:
I think they're good if your LO is crying or wont settle down easily xx

Poppy is not interested in a dummy and never has been! x

I believe pacifiers are fine but believe they should be taken away at a young age.
I think they are okay in the beginning when your baby is small, but by 3-4 months you should know generally what your baby is crying for and be in somewhat of a routine.
Plus I've read that when you take them away at an older age when the child can understand, they will turn to something else for comfort. For example, I know a girl who took her sons away at 2yrs old, and now at almost 3yrs old he carries around a blankie everywhere he goes + HAS to have it to sleep. I'm not saying this is horrible or anything, but IMO they should be able to comfort themselves at that age, without needing anything (especially during the day).
I know there will be exceptions, like those babies with colic that will settle with a pacifier, because colic doesn't go away until 6mo so of course your not going to take it away at 3mo. But with any of mine they wont get pacifiers after 4mo.

I didnt want to give Logan one but when he got colic is was a god send !!

He uses it now just to go to sleep !

am i the only one who cant stand dummies lol dd has never had one and i would never give her one, i wont give this baby one either. i dont have anything against ppl using them but personally i really dnt like them. i think its because of my sister tbh, she has 2 kids and 1 on the way and literally as soon as they were born she shoved a dummy in thier mouths, for no reason. not to soothe them, help with colic or probs bf literally just 4 the sake of it. the eldest had hers till about three and the youngest is now 3 and still has hers. i hate seeing a toddler walking around covered in dribble and a big sore red patch on thier chin. i think this is my main prob with them is toddlers having them. i think that if u are going to give your child a pacifier it should be because they need it ( like a cpl ladies said, for colic or if they point blank refuse to settle) not just because it "looks cute." i think they should be gone well before the child is a year old too. i dont want to offend anyone with this reply as it is the mothers choice and she knows what is best for her baby but personally i would never use one unless absolutely necessary. also, unless sterilised very regularly surely they must harbour a lot of germs? i know my sis doesnt clean my neices v regularly and it is disgusting, sometimes she tries to shove it in faiths mouth and i worry about her getting ill (if neice is unwell at time).

I was adamant I didnt want Maley to have one but she got so upset trying to suck her fingers and she couldnt work out how to get them in. Then when she did it was fine but then she would move her head and didnt think to move her head with her fingers and so they would come out. So i bought her a dummy.....she only has to sleep and once she is sleeping she pushes it out anyway so im hoping she doesnt get addicted...once she sleeps through the night i will take it away

My daughter didnt like any sort of dummies so didnt have any.
My son will not sleep without one, and has it during the day sometimes too. Its his comforter, where as leigha tended to use a teddy.
As for not liking to see babies with them...why not? And no, im not starting anything! Im just curious as to why?

Riley had one when he was a baby baby as soon as he had it he was zonked luckily he gave it up on his own i dont personally like to see 3/4 year olds walking round with a dummy in there mouths my friends lil girls teeth curl round a tad and she's starting to stutter which she thinks is fromt he dummy so is trying her hardest to get her off them

I was always going to give Lexie a dummy. And she took to it straight away. She has it at night, and very rare during the day.

:)

I honestly don't know what I would have done without the dummy when my LO had colic. It soothed him, but at the same time actually made the colic better. To have let him suffer more than needed just because I didn't want problems weaning him later in life would have been cruel.

Now he only uses one at night (well actually a couple lying in his bed as he spits them out when he goes to sleep, but if he wakes he looks for it) and also during the day if he is very tired or its getting close to his feed time. I don't think weaning will be a problem as he doesn't rely on it.

I also hate seeing babies with dummies! Especially when they are trying to smile at you.

I always used the dummy when Savannah had bad wind, mind you it has only been a few times!

Rocco doesn't have a dummy. Personal choice neither DH or I like them. Rocco is a very placid baby and is able to self soothe himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->