To those who have experienced labour before - How long were you 'pushing'??

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
Hi,

With DD1 my 2nd stage (or pushing stage) was only 20 mins, and MW's were impressed considering she was my first. Im sure that Rasberry leaf tea helped, as its meant to tone the uterus and aid the pushing process, although I have nothing to compare it to, I may have had exactly the same experience without drinking it!

Anyway, Im drinking it again this time (since 36 weeks) but keep forgetting so Im worried it will do nothing for me this time and Ill be pushing for hours!

I'd love to hear how long you ladies who have LO's spent pushing to get an idea of whats 'normal'/average

Thanks x

Tbh the fact you've had a previous child will assist second stage far more than RLT, I too was less religious with it second time around.

First time I pushed for 25 mins, this time he came out in a couple of pushes I wouldn't even know the time, too quick for the MW to get there in time anyway. Thankfully no tears though as he still came out steadily in stages so I'm not sure if RLT helps with that?

Tbh the fact you've had a previous child will assist second stage far more than RLT, I too was less religious with it second time around.

First time I pushed for 25 mins, this time he came out in a couple of pushes I wouldn't even know the time, too quick for the MW to get there in time anyway. Thankfully no tears though as he still came out steadily in stages so I'm not sure if RLT helps with that?

Thanks, my SIL had a similar time, they say her 2nd 'shot out'! lol. Can I ask, as it was so quick did you have to have stitches or were you grazed at all? I had 2 grazes with my DD and apparently it can be more painful than recovering from stitches as is basically an open wound! not good each time I pee'ed!

Thanks, my SIL had a similar time, they say her 2nd 'shot out'! lol. Can I ask, as it was so quick did you have to have stitches or were you grazed at all? I had 2 grazes with my DD and apparently it can be more painful than recovering from stitches as is basically an open wound! not good each time I pee'ed!

No I was fine, although my labour was very fast (1 hour ish) and pushing was quick second stage was still "steady" I wouldn't describe it as shooting out for me, his head came out, I had a gap, then his body came out. Listen to the MW they will direct you to minimise tearing (I'm not sure what causes grazing) also, I gave birth in an upright position which I gather also minimises injury.

No I was fine, although my labour was very fast (1 hour ish) and pushing was quick second stage was still "steady" I wouldn't describe it as shooting out for me, his head came out, I had a gap, then his body came out. Listen to the MW they will direct you to minimise tearing (I'm not sure what causes grazing) also, I gave birth in an upright position which I gather also minimises injury.

Thank you. I was lying on the bed as had to be monitored so I think that may have contributed to the grazing. Im not sure what causes it either but I know the recovery (took about 6 weeks) seemed worse than the labour!!!

With my first I pushed for 15 min. I had a little tear. With my second I pushed for 9 min and no tear :)

With my first it was 3 mins! Small graze that healed within a Cpl weeks but weeing was so painful, 2nd baby 9 mins but a lot less painful! First Cpl pushes i was lazy and said i couldn't be bothered :) :) but then i thought iv got to do this! So pushed her out lol no tears/grazes, took a lot less effort than first time too! Xxx

I dont remember how long i was pushing for but it didnt seem too long to me... she crowned...i pushed with the next contraction and apparently she just popped all out..lol... i only had a graze too apparently but the mw decided to put a stitch in as it was bleeding to prevent infection...she said she could have left it but wasnt too comfortable with that

You're all lucky! I was pushing for an hour and a half!!! Between each contraction I felt like I could just fall asleep!

25mins with first.
8mins with second which I was pleased about cos labour was incredibly long, she was back to back and she was over 9lbs lol.

my third was a section.

I think our Freyas was 15 mins (ill have to check)

And Mia slipped out :rofl:

I'm hoping I don't take after my mum; she had long labours and big babies. Looks like this one's going to be big, but hoping for a natural labour in which I can move around, whereas she had to have an epidural.

dd3 was only 5 minutes of pushing, not sure I had any muscles left holding her after dd1 and dd2. I'm a bit worried dd4 will fall out too lol
I never used RLT or anything either.

20 minutes with my first, and I was in an upright position in a birth tub. I'm sure that helped.

2 hours with my 1st, 14 minutes with my 2nd! I drank loads of RLT with my 1st and took about 4 capsules with my 2nd- I kept forgetting! My labour was shorter with my 1st though so I do wonder whether the RLT made a difference?

50mins with dd. Only slight grazing. I took rlt capsules when I remembered

My first i pushed for 3.5 hours my second for 10 minutes

First I pushed for hours and ended up with emcs due to his position.
Second vbac. Pushed just over a hour. He was a big boy at 9lb 3 and came out with his hand by his face and got his shoulders stuck so thinking all that made it longer.

I never RLT or anything with my kiddos. With my first I was actively pushing for about 15-20min. With my second it took 2 or 3 pushes. My contractions are very quick in labour (45sec apart) so my second I was probably only actively pushing for 2-3min. But I walk continuously during labour and I think that really helps - I don't start pushing until I literally can't stop myself and have to pause and push lol. I've never been "told" to push by my MW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->