To those who've had ectopics before

bther

Single mummy to Zachary
Reaction score
I'm 5+1 and went to see my doctor yesterday as i've had one sided pain low down. She had a prod and asked me to come back the next day with a wee sample. I went back today but although I still have this pain, I now have really bad low backache which is worse than the pain I had yesterday. My wee is fine, no sign of infection so that's good. The pain isn't excruciating nor sharp, just achy and annoying.

I've been booked in for an early scan on Thursday when I'll be 5+3 so hopefully there'll be something there for them to see even if it's just a sac and yolk sac. Urgh ... the waiting is going to worry the pants off me. :wacko:

I had a ad backache with my ectopic but I also have one now with this nugget so I don't think you can go on that alone. Did they take your hcg levels while you were there? Most doctors want to know what the levels are or will be when they do a scan so they know what to expect to see. It will be fine if they see the sac and baby but if they don't they won't have many solid answers for you except maybe lets try another scan in a few days and see. I would want to know my hcg so I could know what to expect at the scan and not leave more worried and with unanswered questions if you don't see a sac.

A scan is the only way to rule out an ectopic as you probably know but works best when coupled with hcg levels. A sac with at least a yolk is a sure thing just a sac could still be ectopic (although not likely). By 5 weeks 3 days (if you are positive on your dates) a sac would most likely be able to be seen although your hcg levels need to reach a certain point as well.

My biggest sign during my ectopic was bleeding and low rising hcg. I had a bit of pressure (not sure how else to describe it) but no pain on the side of the ectopic all the way up until surgery at 8 weeks.

You have probably already read a list of signs to be aware of if an ectopic is possible so just make sure to be aware of those signs and see a doctor asap if any of those things occur as it can be life threatening.

Good luck and hoping for a great scan!

When I had my ectopic I had excruciating pain and Brown spotting and also normal bleeding. Have you had any spotting?

I just went in last week for the sane thing. It was a cyst. It was too early to see anything in the uterus, I was i only 4 weeks 3 days but my uterine lining was thick so they said that was good. I was terrified of course. They took my hcg levels and then 2 days later they had doubled so the doctor feels like it is not ectopic. I won't relax till I see a little heartbeat in my uterus. I go back next monday. Cysts are pretty painful though.

Thanks ladies. I'm not bleeding or anything so that's good.

Hopefully the clinic will do my bloods a hCG levels - here in the UK they only do them if something is wrong in pregnancy.

I've been doing IC pregnancy tests everyday to see progression so I know my levels are rising, just not sure how much by. I had a 1-2 on a CB digi on the 18th and exactly a week later (25th) it had gone up to 2-3 but I know they aren't completely reliable. And I'm not 100% sure of my dates as I fell pregnant on the pill but I *think* I implanted on the 17th - day before my first test.

Here's my progression, last one still wet.

https://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g335/Dannikins85/2D001AFB-A79B-4242-9DDD-3BD4ED19127C.jpg

With my ectopic my test didn't progress well and never got really dark. I had shoulder/ thoracic back pain and a mc type bleed at 6 weeks. They scanned me at 7 weeks and said all was fine (ie the mc had taken place and the lining was that of a non pregnant woman), but the decided to test my urine and I was still pregnant. They sent me home with a big ? And I collapsed with excruciating right sided abdo pain the next day. It took them another 4 days of hospitalisation, blood tests and scans before they decided to operate and have a look (still no diagnosis). I woke to find my tube had ruptured and been removed. They couldn't pick this up from scan! Don't ask me why. So yes, in my opinion bloods are an essential accompaniment to scans.
I also had an awful pressure around my back passage that hurt to sit down and prune juice type vaginal bleeding.
The symptoms you've described sound just like what I've experienced in pregnancy with DD and this baby now. I still experience lower back pain at 10+ weeks.
Good luck for your scan.

I second all the other ladies.with my ectopic I felt an intense pressure/pain around my back passage and felt like I was constipated. I had some dark brown on and off bleeding also. Im now pregnant again about 5 weeks,and so far only some light twinges/stretching pains.im in the uk and have managed to get my gp to do my bloods for hcg levels. Good luck I hope everything is just fine,I wont say try not to worry,as I know thats impossible . keep us updated hun x x

Up until 6 weeks, 1 day I had absolutely no symptoms that I considered to be an indicator of anything but a normal pregnancy. But it was at that time that I experienced light pink spotting that was on and off for about one day then completely disappeared. In my ultasound they could not find anything (sac, baby, nothing). They checked my levels and although they rose they did not double. It was based upon my 2 empty ultrasounds and low rising hcg levels that my pregnancy was ruled an ectopic and I was treated with two seperate rounds of methotrexate.

What surprised me the most about my ectopic was that I NEVER experienced any pain nor cramping and my spotting was so minimal (lasted only one day) and it took 2 doses of the medication before my bleeding began. It was like psychological warfare, on one hand I had no cramping, no spotting or bleeding, terrible acne, dizziness (which I thought was a good sign), yet I was being told that my pregnancy was non-viable.

Bther how did your scan go??I hope it was good news. Ive just started to get twinges in my right side and im so scared of it happening again.Please let me know how it went!x x

Hi ljsmummy

The scan went well. The little blob (that's what it looked like!) isn't ectopic. They want me back in 2 weeks to check it's viability. I fell pregnant on the mini pill so I think I'm a week behind my LMP dates. Fingers crossed I'll see a flickering heartbeat in a couple of weeks.

If you're worried, go to your GP. I'm glad I did, the pain was nothing like I experienced when preggers with my son and it's eased my mind. xxx

Hi ljsmummy

The scan went well. The little blob (that's what it looked like!) isn't ectopic. They want me back in 2 weeks to check it's viability. I fell pregnant on the mini pill so I think I'm a week behind my LMP dates. Fingers crossed I'll see a flickering heartbeat in a couple of weeks.

If you're worried, go to your GP. I'm glad I did, the pain was nothing like I experienced when preggers with my son and it's eased my mind. xxx

That is great news and very comforting to those of us who are also experiencing side pain! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->