To wean, or not to wean...

CaptainMummy

Reaction score
Hannah is 5.5 months. She sits unsupported, can reach out and pick thing up in front of her, and is very interested in what we are eating.

2 days ago, Ella gave her half a strawberry (I didnt see her give her it) and when I saw her, I just left her to see what she done. She loved it! Of course, she had no idea how to properly eat it, but she managed to smoosh a few bits into her mouth and eat them, and the strawberry didnt budge until it was too slippery to hold.
I was planning on waiting until 6 months and doing blw... But do I need to wait? It seemed like she was ready, and she did well considering it was her first food experience.
I havent given her anything since, but Im so excited for her to start eating, and I am thinking, 'what harm can it do?'

What do we think?

My eldest was a very early weaner on medical advice and it was fine for him. 6mths is recommended rather than an absolute and if you think your child is ready then why not. As long as you stick to fruit and veg then I personally don't have an issue with introducing food alongside milk before 6mths, especially when they are so close. Realistically no-one can say if your child's digestive system is ready exactly 6mths, a few weeks before or a few weeks later! My second son has had a few tastes here and there and showed obvious signs that he wasn't ready. I tried again this week and he lapped it up. Leaning towards the food, opening his mouth, moving the food in his mouth properly. I plan.to do more blw things this time as I think it'll suit him more. He is a few weeks shy of 6mths

If she seems ready why not. My dd wasn't even ready or interested at 6 months and it was between 7 and 8 months that she'd eat. But if she were sitting well and reaching for food before 6 months I'd have offered just to see if she would be interested.

If she seems ready then go for it. I started DD at 5 months. DS is 5.5 months but I'be not started him yet and will wait until 6 months because he is not where she was at.

We started at 5.5 months as DD stole a carrot off my plate! We did it slow and steady and she took to it really well.

DD has never been fussed about milk but loves food (even if it just gets mushed in her hand) glad we started when we did x

Thanks ladies :)
I need to get her a highchair so will probabyl start in the next week or so, so she will only be a week or so from 6 months anyway. She hasnt had anything to eat since, but Im pretty sure she is ready. She is still quite sicky and has an awful time drinking her bottles, so maybe she will enjoy eating a bit more!

We also started both our girls at 5.5 months. Both were blw and took to it right away xx

I have let DS taste some purees since around 4 months. Not enough to get him full, but enough to taste. And, it was maybe once a week. He was showing all the signs, so I thought why not?! Now at 5.5 months I've been making sure to give him food at least once a day. It really depends on what I'm doing, so it's either for breakfast, lunch or dinner. He's doing increasingly better at being interested in it, but he still prefers the breast!

If she's interested and able to handle food just fine, I don't think you have to be super strict about waiting until 6 months. We started maybe about a week shy of 6 months. Not formally, but we happened to be away on holiday and were having lots of picnics and our daughter grabbed some cucumber sticks that we were having and munched on them, so we let her. She tried some melon as well that week. We started in earnest with one meal a day from 6 months, but certainly she tried a few things in the week before that. We did 100% baby-led weaning.

If she's interested and able to handle food just fine, I don't think you have to be super strict about waiting until 6 months. We started maybe about a week shy of 6 months. Not formally, but we happened to be away on holiday and were having lots of picnics and our daughter grabbed some cucumber sticks that we were having and munched on them, so we let her. She tried some melon as well that week. We started in earnest with one meal a day from 6 months, but certainly she tried a few things in the week before that. We did 100% baby-led weaning.

This is very similar to what happened with us. When your child starts stealing food off your plate and eating it confidently, so you offer them a bit more, you are being baby-led.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->